• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There's 'fitness' and then there's 'fitness' when it comes to a prop like Tupou.

Has he recovered from his injury and training again? Yes
Is he fit enough to play a test match after no running for an extended period? Possibly

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd opine it was a change of scenery/family responsibility/whatever rather than a change of jumper numbers leading to the new, improved Jed. Holloway returned from os last year a much more mature person, and player.
maybe, but I want our Wallaby backrow to have at least played a few games in the backrow this season, kind of seems logical to me

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interesting, I actually really enjoyed seeing players develop in the NRC. Why did they dack it if it wasn't costing them big? seems like a win win if if wasn't a money sink
Covid initially, with restrictions greatly increasing the cost to run a national tournament, then the drop in broadcast revenue. By all accounts they're working on bringing something back though.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah we actually have viable options for each position who regularly play there. Just play Valetini/Wilson at 8, Leota at 6 etc.
Leota plays a lot of super rugby at lock. I’d I’ve him the edge over Holloway in pace but in no other area. I agree that putting him at 6 in a big test is a massive call but he may be an excellent option?
The other bloke who may be a bit of a Smokey is Vunivalu. Grossly inexperienced at this level but a back line below looks crazy.

White
QC (Quade Cooper)
Koreibete
Kerevi
Ikitau
Vunivalu
Petaia

Realistically Petaia may be on that wing or Kellaway and Banks likely at 15 but imagine what these blokes could do with a little ball.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Leota plays a lot of super rugby at lock. I’d I’ve him the edge over Holloway in pace but in no other area. I agree that putting him at 6 in a big test is a massive call but he may be an excellent option?
The other bloke who may be a bit of a Smokey is Vunivalu. Grossly inexperienced at this level but a back line below looks crazy.

White
Quade Cooper
Koreibete
Kerevi
Ikitau
Vunivalu
Petaia

Realistically Petaia may be on that wing or Kellaway and Banks likely at 15 but imagine what these blokes could do with a little ball.
I like the idea of Vunivalu on the wing with Quade Cooper as 10... At least Cooper is skillful enough to get him involved, and he could be devastating.
Petaia is not ready imho to start at 15. Banks will start.
Kellaway will more than likely start on the wing with Koreibete.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

White
Quade Cooper
Koreibete
Kerevi
Ikitau
Vunivalu
Petaia

we need a 14/15 on one wing

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
NRC was not a disaster economically - the entire cost was covered by the broadcaster.

It was a player development comp and it worked great. It unearthed some genuine talent (including guys like Petaia).

It didnt have a lot of fans because it wasn't really meant to.

understand your point here Derpus. But Petaia development timeline was

Leaves School
1 or 2 games of club rugby
Straight into super rugby.

there was absolutely no unearthing of Petaia because he was already an established starting XV Super Rugby commodity once the NRC season started.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wearing a moonboot in videos online.
Screenshot_20220619-113541.png

Looks ok here...he did have ice on his ankle at the end of yesterdays session but that would be the norm after coming back from injury.

Screenshot_20220619-113706.png

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Only rationale for Vunivalu IMO is his strength in the air and the amount of kicks we'll be receiving.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting, I actually really enjoyed seeing players develop in the NRC. Why did they dack it if it wasn't costing them big? seems like a win win if if wasn't a money sink
It was significantly expensive to run but RA were fortunate that they had a benefactor in Fox who paid for most of it (plus World Rugby funding the Drua). When the Fox contract came to an end, there was no new benefactor willing to funding the competition.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It was significantly expensive to run but Rugby Australia were fortunate that they had a benefactor in Fox who paid for most it (plus World Rugby funding the Drua). When the Fox contract came to an end, there was no new benefactor willing to funding the competition.

FIFY

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The Wallabies put up with a full back that couldn't kick or pass and hated gay people because he was "good in the air". So shouldn't be a problem.
He got paid all that $ to play AFL, surely he could kick…….
Just kidding