• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think you can start Korobiete and Vunivalu. There's too much to exploit there with their positioning and high ball catching and kick returns. Especially a team like England. Our back 3 get exposed with a lack of core back 3 skills too often.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think you can start Korobiete and Vunivalu. There's too much to exploit there with their positioning and high ball catching and kick returns. Especially a team like England. Our back 3 get exposed with a lack of core back 3 skills too often.
Highball catching issues and Vunivalu do not belong together. Kick returns I agree with

Marce

John Thornett (49)
for the same reason boxers don’t train by only sparring against partners, and revert to pads and bags during training. To improve technique in controlled environments, I.e. remove the risk of injury. I’m sure they’re doing live/opposed sessions as well.

I’m sure you can punch a bag also, doesn’t mean your technique can’t be improved.
I think RA should fire Rennie and hire @PhilClinton he knows how to train properly a professional team lol

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

I would be just as nervous with koroibete and wright given latter subject to brain fades. I would think koroibete and kellaway more safer starting back 3 option against the poms.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
My predicted Eng 23 for the 1st test:

1. Genge
2. George
3. Stuart
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Curry
7. Underhill
8. Vunipola
9. Care
10. Smith
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Marchant
14. Cokanasiga
15. Steward

16. Cowan-Dickie
17. Vunipola
18. Heyes
19. Isiekwe
20, Willis
21. Randall
22. Porter
23. Nowell

Doesn't strike me with fear that side

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I see Vunivalu as back up for Korobiete, he will get squad practice, maybe a bench spot until Korobiete is wounded or returns to clubland

The 14/15 other winger is the Kelleher Kellaway/Petaia/Wright style role, someone that can work the defensive pendulum, solid under the high ball and kick

so my back 3 ranked choice is

11 Korobiete / Vunivalu
14 Kelleher /Kellaway, Petaia/Wright
15 Petaia/Banks

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I see Vunivalu as back up for Korobiete, he will get squad practice, maybe a bench spot until Korobiete is wounded or returns to clubland

The 14/15 other winger is the Kelleher/Petaia/Wright style role, someone that can work the defensive pendulum, solid under the high ball and kick

11 Korobiete / Vunivalu
14 Kelleher/Petaia/Wright
15 Petaia/Banks

Kellaway* lol just having some fun

But personally I think we just have to try Suli at some point. He puts fear in opposition, he brings a skill set not matched by too many others in the air & has pace to burn

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The 14/15 other winger is the Kelleher/Petaia/Wright style role, someone that can work the defensive pendulum, solid under the high ball and kick

11 Korobiete / Vunivalu
14 Kelleher/Petaia/Wright
15 Petaia/Banks
Is Byron Kelleher elegible for Straya with the new World Rugby law?
rugby-union-england-v-barbarians-the-mastercard-trophy-twickenham-stadium-30510-byron-kelleher...jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 12-22-28 Super Rugby Stats - Super Rugby.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 12-22-28 Super Rugby Stats - Super Rugby.png
    250.7 KB · Views: 131

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess the relevant questions are:

Do you think Rennie will pick Wilson or Valetini at number 8? Who would you pick personally?

Is the other one an option at 6 or will that job be won by Leota or Holloway?

If Wilson doesn't make the starting XV is he a bench option or will that be Samu covering the whole backrow?

Marce

John Thornett (49)

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
He did have the most carries by some margin however, a more accurate stat here would be gainline success %.
Based on the available lists:
Fainga’anuku 74.8%
Sowakula 64.9%
Telea and Mataela no total carries, but >63%
Taukel’aho 62.9%
Wilson 61.8%
Tupaea 54.8%
HTS 59.7%
Jordan 53.1%
FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) 58%

Wilson still near the top, so no matter how you slice it, the commentary around his effectiveness is misguided.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm pretty confident it's Valetini at #8.

Leota or Holloway at 6 (lean Holloway). Need that extra bit of weight/height in the lineout & mauls at 6.

Samu is on the bench (but potential for 6-2 with Leota/Holloway).

Can't see Wilson in the 23.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You would expect Valetini is a locked on starter these days after his form the last two seasons, particularly against the stronger teams...

I noticed rugbypass have Valetini's average gainline metres per carry and tackle % won being higher than Wilson's...

Anyways, I would expect Samu on the bench as he can cover all 3 positions, but with Wilson's workrate and attacking ability I think he could be a very strong bench option.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think Leota will be 6 and Valetini will be 8. That’s what Rennie will pick.

I don’t see Leota in the team in 12 months time. Perhaps even by the end of the year.

Holloway has proved at every level he’s not a backrower.

I’d have Wilson at 8 and Valetini at 6. Wilson doing the hard work and Rob making an occasional break and big tackle.