• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Second and back row selections and balance are going to be critical for mine. England are both good in the air and at the breakdown, so we're going to have to make sure we can at least nullify or maybe even dominate.

Firstly, we need a combination of an athletic lock and a rock shifter (one of each). The athlete to match up on Itoje (who I reckon is one of the world's best) in the line out and a rock shifter to smash him backwards at the breakdown. He makes an absolute nuisance of himself and we need to prevent that if we're to get front foot ball.

We also need two or three guys who can do the hard carrying in tight and slightly wider to get England's defence on their heels or walking backwards. Hoops is excellent at running great angles and finding half gaps, but we're going to need a bruiser or two to bend the line. Bobby V and/or Harry fit the bill there.

I think if we can avoid getting sucked into a slow attritional battle we're a chance of winning, but if we can't we're going to have big bodies running at us and scoring heavily for 240 minutes.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kellaway* lol just having some fun

But personally I think we just have to try Suli at some point. He puts fear in opposition, he brings a skill set not matched by too many others in the air & has pace to burn
100%. Even if average when give game time higher % chance will learn from it and grow at much faster rate given skill set. Give the guy time as injury woes means still early days for him and he is immense talent.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I take rugby body metrics with a pinch of salt. Eye test better. Not having Leota being 5cm shorter than Wilson at all.
6 cm between shortest and tallest 6 options - about how they use their height and reaction time and some other key variables here. To me all tall enough and about form and performance from here all I care about.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I reckon Swain is the only certain lock selection.
Hmm with rodda out maybe
I'm curious on this @RugbyReg, can you elaborate? I think Rob looked right at home at Test level and it's a real shame injury interrupted his Super Rugby season. Do you simply see others going past him?

Big call on Rob as really he is up there with all the options. Reality is great depth in backrow and even Michael hooper can’t rest on his laurels such is depth of talent here.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
We seem to be worried about having too much depth at 4-8. I'll be surprised if we don't have 2-3 injury enforced changes by the third test in the pack. The English will be tough, physical opponents. By the third test we might well be choosing from those left standing. I'm just happy that Valetini, Leota, Wilson, Samu, Holloway, Phillip, Swain etc. etc. look to be in good form and able to step up when called. All of those guys have looked good this year.

I am more concerned that our scrum will get munted. Slipper, our top loosehead got mauled vs the Blues but the same prop didn't destroy the Crusaders the next week. Slipper had good locks behind him. Bell is still very young - good in the loose doesn't count if the scrum is on skates. Sio might be coming good, or not. AAAAA is steady but not spectacular and Tupou is coming back from injury. No hooker really stands out. While I am confident that 4-8 are good whoever we pick, I am worried about 1-3 and 16-18. Those three positions could be the ball game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We seem to be worried about having too much depth at 4-8. I'll be surprised if we don't have 2-3 injury enforced changes by the third test in the pack. The English will be tough, physical opponents. By the third test we might well be choosing from those left standing. I'm just happy that Valetini, Leota, Wilson, Samu, Holloway, Phillip, Swain etc. etc. look to be in good form and able to step up when called. All of those guys have looked good this year.

I am more concerned that our scrum will get munted. Slipper, our top loosehead got mauled vs the Blues but the same prop didn't destroy the Crusaders the next week. Slipper had good locks behind him. Bell is still very young - good in the loose doesn't count if the scrum is on skates. Sio might be coming good, or not. AAAAA is steady but not spectacular and Tupou is coming back from injury. No hooker really stands out. While I am confident that 4-8 are good whoever we pick, I am worried about 1-3 and 16-18. Those three positions could be the ball game.

Line out as well. Line out throw, lifters, jumper, caller. Without excellence here, kicking game works to the opposition. Just rewatch either the Super final or the last Brumbies game.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
am I crazy? Bet365 has England paying $2.50 to win. Should be reversed.
You do understand our record against England over the last decade…patriotic as I am no way would I bet on a wallabies win…but I will still believe and support the wallabies but not with my money beyond the ticket to see them.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd try to keep in tact as much of the super rugby frontrow combos as possible which gives you Bell, Poreki, Nella and Slipper, Fainga'a, 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) (Allan Ala'alatoa).
I think you are right as Ben Darwin’s work shows combinations are important and key to us winning

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Slipper has the experience(and can adjust) and Bell has shown he can be vulnerable at the highest level at scrum time. I would start the Brumbies front row in test 1, particularly so seeing TT is coming back from injury.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Slipper has the experience(and can adjust) and Bell has shown he can be vulnerable at the highest level at scrum time. I would start the Brumbies front row in test 1, particularly so seeing TT is coming back from injury.

In Taniela's case I reckon he's better off starting. He will no doubt be underdone for match fitness and running around on that big frame won't be easy. If he's available for test 1 I'd get him on the field and doing as much damage as possible and then getting him off.

Although, are the substitution rules different for front rowers? For example if AAA starts, plays 60mins and TT takes the field then breaks down after 10mins, can AAA come back on for safety reasons?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
am I crazy? Bet365 has England paying $2.50 to win. Should be reversed.

Series or first test? My betting company doesn't have it yet but if England are favourites for the first test that is a no-brainer bet in my view. You either win money or you get the satisfaction that we beat the Poms. Win/win scenario for sure!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Have a feeling they'll get mullered.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Series or first test? My betting company doesn't have it yet but if England are favourites for the first test that is a no-brainer bet in my view. You either win money or you get the satisfaction that we beat the Poms. Win/win scenario for sure!
Completely agree. I'm embarrassed about the amount of money I'd part ways with for the Wallabies to win.

No market on series just yet, only the first match. Would love to put something on the an English clean sweep to calm my nerves.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
In Taniela's case I reckon he's better off starting. He will no doubt be underdone for match fitness and running around on that big frame won't be easy. If he's available for test 1 I'd get him on the field and doing as much damage as possible and then getting him off.

Although, are the substitution rules different for front rowers? For example if AAA starts, plays 60mins and TT takes the field then breaks down after 10mins, can AAA come back on for safety reasons?
A substituted prop can replace an injured prop.