• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Rennie chucked him back into club rugby after that game, and I think most would agree he played 40mins of very good football.

I would like to think he's got a bit of confidence back from that run.

The Wallabies could definitely use some more experience on the field now with Quade gone.
I would hope that we aren't basing him playing 40 mins of club footy to see if his back in form, I'd just hope his sharper from Training and this is his chance to have a crack.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
As for Skipper Rennie's shown his hand its going to be Slipper for the time being while Hoops is out. Then it will fall to whoever is on the pitch at the time.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
All the talk of different fly half options and I am wondering if Jack Debreczeni is a smokey for the Wallabies for next year or does nobody rate him? I only watch brief highlights of the Shute shield games but he looks to be playing ok and I believe has signed for the Brumbies for next year?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We've won two tests with him as the starting 10 vs Wales in 2011 (after the RWC) and vs the Lions in 2013 (2nd test).

There have also been two draws and four losses.
You know what's interesting, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Beale has started at 10 twice in his career for 1 draw and 1 win vs NZ and SA respectively.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
All the talk of different fly half options and I am wondering if Jack Debreczeni is a smokey for the Wallabies for next year or does nobody rate him? I only watch brief highlights of the Shute shield games but he looks to be playing ok and I believe has signed for the Brumbies for next year?
The game I watched, he was obviously doing it pretty easy. But that was against park footy players

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
If he wins the title, finishes top point scorer and kicks at 90% I reckon he’ll make it to be the second player cut from the squad

Last edited:

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)

Edmed, Donaldson and even Will Harrison on crutches are over him

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

yeh, nah

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Edmed, Donaldson and even Will Harrison on crutches are over him
No. None of them have a game as well rounded as his. It’s doubtful that he will make it between now and then but its good to see him back and he does have a pretty good game. Playing at the Brumbies will help that along.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Would also need Loloseio to be hurt or Larkham decide I hate you to get mins in the Brums 10 jersey.

His ability to cover 15 will earn him a bench spot I think.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
No. None of them have a game as well rounded as his. It’s doubtful that he will make it between now and then but its good to see him back and he does have a pretty good game. Playing at the Brumbies will help that along.
Too old to be the messiah, make room for the young values coming through the system: Edmed, Donaldson, Will Harrison, Pasitoa... For the old ones you already have JOC (James O'Connor) or Cooper.

If you don't give opportunities for young people, you gonna see more Mack Hansen or Jack Dempsey playing for other nations

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Too old to be the messiah, make room for the young values coming through the system: Edmed, Donaldson, Will Harrison, Pasitoa... For the old ones you already have JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) or Cooper.

If you don't give opportunities for young people, you gonna see more Mack Hansen or Jack Dempsey playing for other nations

Jack Dempsey didn't get opportunities????

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Jack Dempsey made a decision following injuries to go overseas. If he qualifies and gets picked for Scotland good on him. Does hurt to see a Bledisloe MOTM playing in other colours though.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Too old to be the messiah, make room for the young values coming through the system: Edmed, Donaldson, Will Harrison, Pasitoa... For the old ones you already have JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) or Cooper.

Edmed, Donaldson and Harrison need to get the start for the Tah's and Pasitoa is injured.

But your right Jack isn't the answer..

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
For mine Lolesio and Donaldson are the obvious choices, but 2023 Super season could see any of Edmed, Harrison, Pasitoa or Gordon step up, but I don't see Jack being the one.
I have yet to see what Gordon has that puts him in front of the others, however there are people here who have seen a lot more of him than me that really rate him, so it must be there.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think the Gordon hype has been tempered somewhat by lacklustre club turnouts last year and some meh games for the Rebels.

He’s back at Wests in QPR running the team now, if he can steer them to a Premiership this year (and let’s be honest the entire team is quite handy) then maybe he will be showing something to promote him back to being the front runner in the up and coming flyhalf stakes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was the hype around Carter Gordon greater than the guys in the year or two ahead of him because of his size at the end of school?

He's a pretty big 10 but it strikes me that he would have been a really big schoolboy 10 who was also very talented.

So far I haven't seen anything at Super Rugby level to think he's the pick of the bunch.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You have to think that Rennie will stick with Lolesio for now and have Hodge and JOC (James O'Connor) as backups.
The problem is that his game is not complete…….yet. It may not get there?

He has been pushed in too early due to a lack of foresight from the ARU/RA.

There are 4-5 young 10s coming through the system now. They need to be nurtured and progressed as well as being kept at home. A hard task for sure but thats what needs to be done.