• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Foley was great but I kind of want Noah to play more on the EOYT though. He could be better by the time the RWC comes along, he plays a similar game to Foley but could be a better defender and obviously younger and faster.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I think we all want Noah to keep developing but we also need to get as close to winning these matches as possible. In a way how do you drop Foley after that game. He was setting up tries, line breaks/semi breaks it was everything we have wanted Noah to do. If Foley sees a half gap he just goes for it and as long as players follow him there will be points. I'm yet to see Noah have that crack at this level.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Foley should absolutely start next test match, but surely you give Noah at least 2 starts on the EOYT, Scotland, Italy and even Wales would be good choices. Leave France and Ireland to Foley.

Will Foley, as part of the Japanese brigade, be available for the UK tour?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Not confirmed yet, look at Qwerty's post. Foley stated he is positive his club will let him tour but it is not confirmed. Rennie stated the same in his latest press conference. Looks positive, but so was Quade and Kerevi last year so it's an unknown at this stage. At least its not a 100% no though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Apparently discussions have been promising - though not resolved as I understand it.

Foley was great but I kind of want Noah to play more on the EOYT though. He could be better by the time the RWC comes along, he plays a similar game to Foley but could be a better defender and obviously younger and faster.

Noah unfortunately is neither our best 10 (albeit we had to stretch far and wide) nor our best 22 (a role that needs flexibility such as with Hodge). Though I would put him ahead of Foley in defending in the 10 channel. Better at kicking in play too, I think.

If Rennie sees him as the best then fine. But it is not a time to be "giving" game time. Noah needs to earn it or wait.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Rennie sees him as the best then fine. But it is not a time to be "giving" game time. Noah needs to earn it or wait.

He'll have to earn it by not playing?

I do expect Lolesio will be given game time on the Spring tour, whether that's starting against the likes of Italy or coming off the bench... because, depending on the availability of Foley and Cooper, he is our next best flyhalf and it is is important to give players in his position game time.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He'll have to earn it by not playing?

I do expect Lolesio will be given game time on the Spring tour, whether that's starting against the likes of Italy or coming off the bench... because, depending on the availability of Foley and Cooper, he is our next best flyhalf and it is is important to give players in his position game time.

Strange question. He earns it like any other player. Through form and then in training.

Slim, we are #9 in the rankings. It is not a position where game time can be gifted for development. We have to put our best team out every time. There is every chance Rennie will see Noah as earning it, but that the only reason he should be on the field.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Strange question. He earns it like any other player. Through form and then in training.

Slim, we are #9 in the rankings. It is not a position where game time can be gifted for development. We have to put our best team out every time. There is every chance Rennie will see Noah as earning it, but that the only reason he should be on the field.

I don't think there's any doubt he's earned it... and while we'll need to aim to put out our best team every game, player management should see him see some game time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
There are 5 games on the EOYT, it's a long season and players should be rotated anyway. It's not like we are suggesting blooding Donaldson. Noah has a fair few caps against top opposition and has handled himself well. He has absolutely earned it.

Foley is clearly the best choice but he isn't lightyears ahead. There is good reason to start Noah against Scotland or Italy. By that time Foley could probably do with a rest anyway.

To say, we need our absolute best against Italy? Ummm serisously? We aren't that bad. I see no perfect place to give players time to develop in the Test arena.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There are 5 games on the EOYT, it's a long season and players should be rotated anyway. It's not like we are suggesting blooding Donaldson. Noah has a fair few caps against top opposition and has handled himself well.

Foley is clearly the best choice but he isn't lightyears ahead. There is good reason to start Noah against Scotland or Italy. By that time Foley could probably do with a rest anyway.

To say, we need our absolute best against Italy? Ummm serisously? We aren't that bad. I see no perfect place to give players time to develop in the Test arena.

I'd say that if Foley is available, and he doesn't have a mare tomorrow night or suffer a head knock/calf injury in training, then he should definitely start against Scotland because that's not going to be an easy game...

But I would think Lolesio is definitely more than capable of leading the backline against Italy.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah I can see Dru's argument applied to Scotland as that is no easy win. But Italy?
You need to blood players some-time and Noah isn't exactly unproven, he has showed he is capable at this level and only shades behind Foley.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'd say that if Foley is available, and he doesn't have a mare tomorrow night or suffer a head knock/calf injury in training, then he should definitely start against Scotland because that's not going to be an easy game...

But I would think Lolesio is definitely more than capable of leading the backline against Italy.
I never though I would ever be glad to see Foley back in Wallaby colours. Having him around should be good for Lolesio.

Reactions: dru

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
In Fairness No
I think we all want Noah to keep developing but we also need to get as close to winning these matches as possible. In a way how do you drop Foley after that game. He was setting up tries, line breaks/semi breaks it was everything we have wanted Noah to do. If Foley sees a half gap he just goes for it and as long as players follow him there will be points. I'm yet to see Noah have that crack at this level.
ah played great in the first test vs Springboks and got concussed in the second one

kid seems to be held to higher standards than anyone else in the squad

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
In Fairness Noah played great in the first test vs Springboks and got concussed in the second one

kid seems to be held to higher standards than anyone else in the squad

dru

Tim Horan (67)
On the Noah selection, this is not really my issue. I think Noah is the best 10 resident in Aus. I wish the guy all the best.

My issue is more around this "oh, we have to be developing xyz by giving game time". At #9 ranking we just can not justify that approach. Rennie and co have to put the best 23 forward for every game until we are much closer to the top 5. "Development" can't happen wearing a gold jersey. Not any more.

If, no actually *when* Rennie considers Noah the best 10 he will put him in. I'm all for it.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
On the Noah selection, this is not really my issue. I think Noah is the best 10 resident in Aus. I wish the guy all the best.

My issue is more around this "oh, we have to be developing xyz by giving game time". At #9 ranking we just can not justify that approach. Rennie and co have to put the best 23 forward for every game until we are much closer to the top 5. "Development" can't happen wearing a gold jersey. Not any more.

If, no actually *when* Rennie considers Noah the best 10 he will put him in. I'm all for it.
Agree with Dru. No test is a given at the moment. This is why brought back Australia A

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I guess it would seem radical to hypothetically play our first choice domestic based flyhalf against the likes of Italy, having only started in 2/3 of our wins this year against the lowly South Africa and England…

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I guess it would seem radical to hypothetically play our first choice domestic based flyhalf against the likes of Italy, having only started in 2/3 of our wins this year against the lowly South Africa and England…

Not radical, but an error. If we were sitting at #9. And if we have better players selected in the top 23.