• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I guess it would seem radical to hypothetically play our first choice domestic based flyhalf against the likes of Italy, having only started in 2/3 of our wins this year against the lowly South Africa and England…
Certainly not radical at all and I don’t think too many would argue if he was given an opportunity against the higher ranked teams as well. However, Noah has been given the first opportunity from this next generation and the Queenslander has in no way been able to lock himself in, with the likes of Donaldson and Edmed breathing fast down his neck. It would not at all be radical to give one of those blokes a shot against Italy either.

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
Irrespective of results it's time RA gets fair dinkum about the player selection policy.

It's no good picking players who are only available 60% of the time because they want to be in the "good graces" of the Japanese clubs.

The constant yo-yoing of availability needs to be addressed. This may mean foregoing some talent overseas. But it's time to enforce Reg 9 and make it known that Australian players will be picked from overseas whenever the WR (World Rugby) calendar allows it.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Irrespective of results it's time Rugby Australia gets fair dinkum about the player selection policy.

It's no good picking players who are only available 60% of the time because they want to be in the "good graces" of the Japanese clubs.

The constant yo-yoing of availability needs to be addressed. This may mean foregoing some talent overseas. But it's time to enforce Reg 9 and make it known that Australian players will be picked from overseas whenever the WR (World Rugby) calendar allows it.
Totally agree. We don't win even with the overseas players so why do we bother bringing them over?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have no doubt that RA will expand o/s selections from three for the RWC next year…

Kerevi and Koroibete the obvious two walk up starters…

But then we’ve got Cooper, hoping to be fit, and Foley…

Banks a possibility…

And then there’s Arnold, and potentially Skelton, but I’m thinking that our domestic lock options are currently better.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah I'm not sure it needs to be extended currently. At least not to more than 5.
And then there’s Arnold, and potentially Skelton, but I’m thinking that our domestic lock options are currently better.
This has been disappointing but if they can get Swain sort himself out with Rodda back, Neville, Frost and Phillip I think there is enough in that spot at the moment.

There was a lot of chat about no.7s overseas for a bit but the performances of McReight and Samu have put that to bed as well. Charlie Gambles eligibility should be followed as well.

Kerevi and Korobiete are walk up starters and then Banks does look like a genuine option with no out and out Fullback showing themselves at the moment.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok so we have an immediate concern over who plays 12 now (amongst many concerns).

Options are:

- Paisami is probably the front runner but I think his form has been down for about 12 months now. I do suspect he will get the gig though.
- Hodge in another spakfilla request to fill a gap just because he can.
- Beale. I guess. Outside Foley? Yikes.

I guess depending on how the Aussie A tour goes then perhaps Hamish Stewart is an option? And one I am warming to given the above.

Anyone else I missed?

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Ok so we have an immediate concern over who plays 12 now (amongst many concerns).

Options are:

- Paisami is probably the front runner but I think his form has been down for about 12 months now. I do suspect he will get the gig though.

I guess depending on how the Aussie A tour goes then perhaps Hamish Stewart is an option? And one I am warming to given the above.

Anyone else I missed?
Has to be Paisami from that list. Foley Beale is just a highway for a linebreak.

Matt To'omua would be handy right about now.

Fuck it, Pete Samu in the 12 I can get behind.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Options are:

Anyone else I missed?
Paisami to start, but there will need to be more coverage added to the squad. They may yet recall Simone, given they still used him in Argentina this year but I'd prefer to see Stewart. Kuenzle/Henry might be an outside chance if either stars for Australia A. Similarly if Campbell knocks it out of the park he might finally get a shot at 15, freeing Hodge up to cover 12.

Otherwise they could theoretically look at Lolesio or Donaldson/Edmed there, but it'd be a pretty risky move.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Feels like 2 steps forward, 10 steps back with this team.
We need to start changing some things up and alter our selections.

- I was a big advocate for Holloway, I think the experiment is over. He is a bench 6 at best.
- We are really missing Swinton and Leota.
- Need to give Frost a go, I don't want to see Darcy Swain's name on a team sheet for the rest of the year.
- Lolesio needs to be playing, Foley is a Dinosaur
- Vunivalu needs to be starting, Wright is a blunder waiting to happen. Vunivalu needs game time in the lead up to the RWC. His athletic ability could be an absolute game changer and provide a point of difference.
- We may need to use Simone on the EOYT?
- Give Skelton a go.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Agree with all of this.

Holloway deserved his opportunity but it's not the way forward if we want to win a WC which is the goal.

Frost and Vunivalu are a must at this point if they are going to feature at all next year.

I'd also say that Tate McDermott should start at least 3 of the 5 EOYT matches. Jake Gordon just has a lower ceiling than Tate and White in my opinion. He hasn't been bad by any means but the others are better.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have no doubt that Rugby Australia will expand o/s selections from three for the RWC next year…

Kerevi and Koroibete the obvious two walk up starters…

But then we’ve got Cooper, hoping to be fit, and Foley…

Banks a possibility…

Scott Sio will surely be in the mix. Arguably our strongest scrummaging LHP atm.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Feels like 2 steps forward, 10 steps back with this team.
We need to start changing some things up and alter our selections.

- I was a big advocate for Holloway, I think the experiment is over. He is a bench 6 at best.
- We are really missing Swinton and Leota.
- Need to give Frost a go, I don't want to see Darcy Swain's name on a team sheet for the rest of the year.
- Lolesio needs to be playing, Foley is a Dinosaur
- Vunivalu needs to be starting, Wright is a blunder waiting to happen. Vunivalu needs game time in the lead up to the RWC. His athletic ability could be an absolute game changer and provide a point of difference.
- We may need to use Simone on the EOYT?
- Give Skelton a go.

Add Gordan to this list of experiment over