• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Who's the Reds 6?Wright?

Yes, though we'll have to see how things pan out as we run into the new season. To be fair in the modern game, especially at Super level, I don't see a lot of difference in the back row, especially at 6/8. Though I'd usually anticipate 6 being the first choice back row jumper ahead of 8 (or 7). Which works for Uru to be honest.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's the fact i saw on my television he receive the ball on the wing and then ran into the opposite winger (who was an actual winger, and made 0 metres). The stats for that is 1 out of 1.

Serious answer. Does it pass the vibe check?
I wasn't suggesting he has, or lacks, impact. I didn't watch the game so have no position on this. I was asking if there are actual stats that can "measure" this. As opposed to opinions. But thanks for yours.
Stats are good, but are a pain in the arse to code. But it is an interesting exercise, as the data can often surprise when looked at dispassionately.
It would be intriguing to see what metrics the Wallaby coaching team look at in particular in each position.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I wasn't suggesting he has, or lacks, impact. I didn't watch the game so have no position on this. I was asking if there are actual stats that can "measure" this. As opposed to opinions. But thanks for yours.
Stats are good, but are a pain in the arse to code. But it is an interesting exercise, as the data can often surprise when looked at dispassionately.
It would be intriguing to see what metrics the Wallaby coaching team look at in particular in each position.

Stats would be handy, but impact can be subjective. It would be hard to measure. Hanigan is a probably a prime example of how subjective it is.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
For a future coach, surely the flood gates open after the RWC23. Scott Robinson and Eddie Jones should be options, although probably difficult to get on board.
Maybe Jamie Joseph could be a chance. I love this idea as I feel we should be playing a more similar style to Japan (as we don't seem to be able to complete physically with less dominate forwards).
I would be chasing these 3 with McKellar as the back-up option.
McKenzie still has unfinished business, just do whatever is required to convince him to return, offer him 3 million dollars a year, this time around provide him with all his demands & give him absolute control over everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: gel

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He has improved but still lacks impact.
It is always about balance, you can't start a pack of all impact players and you can't start a side that "lacks impact"

You generally need both, you need players that are going to break that advantage line and some who turn up and do the clean outs (play the role that allows others to shine)

and then you have the worldies who can do it all - we don't have them except maybe Koro & Hooper. so while we continue the search for a world class pack, we make compromises and try to get some version of balance

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Most importantly bring back Nuicifora as the coaching co-ordinator & breakdown/forwards consultant (same role as 2010-11),
Fisher set-piece, McKay attack, and Phil Blake defense.

Nuicifora didn't get credited for the Wallabies strengths during Robbie Dean's tenure, yet he was the major driver of it all..

Wallabies achieved their best performances since 2002/03 during the period 2010 June series to 2011 EOYT. Blake & Nuicifora both joined the coaching staff at the start of 2010 and both finished after 2011 EOYT.

Australia's poor 2008, 2009, 2012/2013, under Deans can be partly attributed to their absence.

Ireland's rise since 2014 is also frequently credited to Nuicifora's role as Director of Rugby.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Most importantly bring back Nuicifora as the coaching co-ordinator & breakdown/forwards consultant (same role as 2010-11),
Fisher set-piece, McKay attack, and Phil Blake defense.

Nuicifora didn't get credited for the Wallabies strengths during Robbie Dean's tenure, yet he was the major driver of it all..

Wallabies achieved their best performances since 2002/03 during the period 2010 June series to 2011 EOYT. Blake & Nuicifora both joined the coaching staff at the start of 2010 and both finished after 2011 EOYT.

Australia's poor 2008, 2009, 2012/2013, under Deans can be partly attributed to their absence.

Ireland's rise since 2014 is also frequently credited to Nuicifora's role as Director of Rugby.
And Robbie Deans's win/loss rate of around 60% seems like a dream compared to how we are travelling. Nucifora was a good coach sacked by Gregan and Co after winning the Super Rugby title, if my memory serves me right. He's had an odd career but with plenty of highlights based only on what I have heard from time to time.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Sadly, continuing the revolving door of coaches will solve nothing. The reality is Jones, Deans, McKenzie, Cheika and now Rennie have all come to the Wallabies with impeccable coaching records, and in the case of Jones and Cheika have gone on to success afterwards. As we continue to slide down the rankings, every new coach is going to be the messiah, then when the anticipated rise to greatness doesn't happen, we call for the coach's head. It's a bit like the old Einstein quote about continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result!
Or could it just be possible, I know this is a really wild suggestion, but that it's not all the coach's fault?????

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Sadly, continuing the revolving door of coaches will solve nothing. The reality is Jones, Deans, McKenzie, Cheika and now Rennie have all come to the Wallabies with impeccable coaching records, and in the case of Jones and Cheika have gone on to success afterwards. As we continue to slide down the rankings, every new coach is going to be the messiah, then when the anticipated rise to greatness doesn't happen, we call for the coach's head. It's a bit like the old Einstein quote about continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result!
Or could it just be possible, I know this is a really wild suggestion, but that it's not all the coach's fault?????
Yep. All the names suggested above are good coaches, but how about we place them in roles to develop the upcoming generation, roles with the Super franchises, underage rep teams, overall co-ordination for someone like Nucifora, and invest there. By 2027, we might be starting to see the benefits of that investment at the Wallaby level.