• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
In finding the link to that last tweet, I did find this article that was recently published by Dean Brenton currently working with a job title of National Head of Athletic Performance at Rugby Australia.

A systems approach to calf complex injuries

May be due to some recent mad scrambling around the research literature
Didn't realise the AFL released a detailed injury report every year - more sports should follow suit. Transparency is nothing but a good thing.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Didn't realise the AFL released a detailed injury report every year - more sports should follow suit. Transparency is nothing but a good thing.
Though it is getting harder to access. Back in the 2000s and early 2010s it was published on the website, now it is a bit hidden away. It is also technical in how it calculates everything (average team) so you don't always see the raw numbers and don't get it per club. What is really good about it is mandatory reporting from clubs and a fairly consistent methodology over time.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sio & Simone were in the stands watching the game. PUT THEM ON YOU C

Who we got?

Hoskins, Talakai, Eloff (eligible?) ...
Hopefully Eloff eligibility not too far away, but think hes a 5 yearer not a 3. If its 3 he should get in before WC but not sure if he 'made that cut'. Otherwise its 2025 (or late 2024) as a 26 turning 27 year old.

Talakai a journeyman backup, not really there to be groomed. Shame Hoskins couldn't be tempted back after his debut.

Next youngsters in the pipeline are Reds - Nonggoor, Tahs - Holz & Tauakipulu, Brumbies - Lemisio and the Force with Romano and Amose

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Hopefully Eloff eligibility not too far away, but think hes a 5 yearer not a 3. If its 3 he should get in before WC but not sure if he 'made that cut'. Otherwise its 2025 (or late 2024) as a 26 turning 27 year old.

Talakai a journeyman backup, not really there to be groomed. Shame Hoskins couldn't be tempted back after his debut.

Next youngsters in the pipeline are Reds - Nonggoor, Tahs - Holz & Tauakipulu, Brumbies - Lemisio and the Force with Romano and Amose

Eloff is def a 5 year,

I watch a fair bit of the prem & Hoskings while I like him was def and emergency covid selection he would be a bench player at Super Rugby level, as you pointed out there are a few good props coming through

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Holz was quite impressive for NSW last year following HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) injury. He followed it up well for Aus A which you would think has him in some sort of wider plans. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is the obvious choice of the names mentioned. He was in line to be in the Wallabies squad for the England series and has really developed well under Coleman.

The other guys mentioned like Nonggoor, Tauakipulu, Lemisio are too inexperienced at for the RWC.

If we are talking about journeymen like Talakai why not put a message out to Sekope Kepu? I know he's 36 but still playing in Super Rugby...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Holz was quite impressive for NSW last year following HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) injury. He followed it up well for Aus A which you would think has him in some sort of wider plans. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is the obvious choice of the names mentioned. He was in line to be in the Wallabies squad for the England series and has really developed well under Coleman.

The other guys mentioned like Nonggoor, Tauakipulu, Lemisio are too inexperienced at for the RWC.

If we are talking about journeymen like Talakai why not put a message out to Sekope Kepu? I know he's 36 but still playing in Super Rugby...
he was pretty terrible last year

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Excellent work there Reg. Just out of interest because he is a key player but isn't mentioned at all, where does Michael Hooper fit within that analysis?

Gave away a penalty every 78 minutes.

Stuffed up every 39 minutes

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Holz was quite impressive for NSW last year following HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) injury. He followed it up well for Aus A which you would think has him in some sort of wider plans. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is the obvious choice of the names mentioned. He was in line to be in the Wallabies squad for the England series and has really developed well under Coleman.

Yes I definitely wasn't looking at RWC for those - just the..what comes next

Sio needs to be eligible

LHP: Slipper, Bell, Sio, Robertson, Gibbon
THP: Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Pone, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Talakai

If Tupou is out, our 5 need to be
Bell, Sio, Ala'alatoa and Pone, with Slipper as the guy who can cover both sides if required at a stretch.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
yeah - that's interesting. They had him down as one YC but no penalty. Good pick up
Yeah, I think it's done so they can produce a combined total of penalties + cards without double counting.

I wonder if it significantly changes any of the other stats you've got there though? If it has been done that way consistently I'd guess it might take Gordon to the top of list for stuff up per minute and lift Swain and Wright up the list a bit

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Does anyone have any insights into how the Aussie Super Rugby teams fared with injuries last year (ie 2022)? How many attributable to training or S&C aspects? Can't recall if the Brumbies suffered those types of injuries and it seems to me that the Brumbies players with the Wallabies have by and large avoided those issues also. Might be worth a look?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yeah - that's interesting. They had him down as one YC but no penalty. Good pick up

I just looked it up.

It wasn't a penalty against Perese because England already had advantage and the penalty they ended up taking from that initial infringement was closer to the posts.

Yeah, I think it's done so they can produce a combined total of penalties + cards without double counting.

It's not. It was just a penalty against someone else.

In any situation where a team playing under advantage wins further advantages or another penalty or a try is scored, someone will get away with a penalty infringement that doesn't result in a penalty.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I just looked it up.

It wasn't a penalty against Perese because England already had advantage and the penalty they ended up taking from that initial infringement was closer to the posts.

It's not. It was just a penalty against someone else.

In any situation where a team playing under advantage wins further advantages or another penalty or a try is scored, someone will get away with a penalty infringement that doesn't result in a penalty.
Ah, that makes sense. Awkward accounting for something like this though where it's very much about the infringements a player committed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ah, that makes sense. Awkward accounting for something like this though where it's very much about the infringements a player committed.

True.

It would be an interesting exercise to add up the number of additional penalties each team gives away that are never called and see how that tallies up against the penalties awarded.

Reactions: dru

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes I definitely wasn't looking at RWC for those - just the..what comes next

Sio needs to be eligible

LHP: Slipper, Bell, Sio, Robertson, Gibbon
THP: Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Pone, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Talakai

If Tupou is out, our 5 need to be
Bell, Sio, Ala'alatoa and Pone, with Slipper as the guy who can cover both sides if required at a stretch.
I am guessing Jermaine Ainsley is no longer an option? Played 3 tests for the Wallabies, still only 27 but I am guessing it is All Blacks if anything for him now

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I am guessing Jermaine Ainsley is no longer an option? Played 3 tests for the Wallabies, still only 27 but I am guessing it is All Blacks if anything for him now
Played for the Maori All Blacks this year, I think he's well and truly committed to making the swap.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Does anyone have any insights into how the Aussie Super Rugby teams fared with injuries last year (ie 2022)? How many attributable to training or S&C aspects? Can't recall if the Brumbies suffered those types of injuries and it seems to me that the Brumbies players with the Wallabies have by and large avoided those issues also. Might be worth a look?
Yeah, noticed that as well.