• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting read from Rugby Pass on their Wallabies Player Ratings from the full test season.

Tight Five

Loose Forwards

Halfbacks and 10s

Centres

Outside Backs

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Some potential insight into why there's so many injuries...

Where is Australia compared to when he took over? Most yellow carded and penalized team this year, a massive injury list and pretty minimal player development in most positions. Yes they have played well at times but also terribly, often as well. Add to that him saying the red against NZ in a potentially career ending injury wasn't even a yellow in his eyes and I've lost a fair bit of respect for him, his appalling comment on that horrible "clean out" on Quinn Tupea, I mean wtf? That was the worst thuggery I have seen in years mate.

And while it's expected that a percentage of injuries are part of having a team full of full collision athletes, the current state is far beyond that. There is a training, culture, or safety element to it certainly (ala Eddie Jones and England a few years back).

The impression I get is Dave Rennie really emanates the real old school loves the Thugby-type coach, and that usually, in my opinion, translates to lots of full-contact training with loads of aggression. You inevitably pay the price for that approach, it's not sustainable.

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
The only natural leader is McReight and he is far from a guaranteed starter. I see him in the games he plays firing the guys up and I never saw him talk back or argue with refs as U20's capt.
There is nobody obvious as a starter as we have so few starters to choose from.
McReight looks concerningly lightweight at test level, like a young Hooper - just a lot more ineffective.

Gamble is bigger, offers more physicality & could quite possibly be taking Fraser's place in the squad in 2024.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
McReight looks concerningly lightweight at test level, like a young Hooper - just a lot more ineffective.

Gamble is bigger, offers more physicality & could quite possibly be taking Fraser's place in the squad in 2024.

Gamble is also 4 years older than Fraser.

If coaches want Fraser to put more size on, he’s got the frame and is the right age to still pack on some weight. We don’t need him losing mobility though, he’s scored more than a few tries at both Super Rugby and international level by having the gas to be around for the last pass.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Word on the street that Ikitau, Wilson and Tongan Thor possibly looking overseas

Nothing surprising. Taniela openly stated months ago he wanted to look overseas and was looking for a hybrid deal to play in Super Rugby and Japan.

What will be interesting is how much this injury setback changes his value. He had a pretty rough 2022 in terms of form and injury. So I agree with the article that his negotiating position is probably lowered, but that may simply force him overseas instead of into a hybrid deal.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Ikitau would he a colossal loss

I don't think he would be lost to the Wallabies.

It would probably spell the death march of Australia Super Rugby if we lost a couple of key guys like Ikitau, Tupou and a few more to overseas contracts. Which makes the commitment to the current format a bit interesting.

But I think RA will have to come to the party and allow more than 3 international selections if we were to lose key blokes who would be making up the bulk of our 2027 RWC squad.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
According to official stats, Gamble only 1cm taller and 3kg heavier than McReight, both bigger than Hooper!
Hooper 182cm, 101kg, McReight 184cm, 102kg, Gamble 185cm, 105kg.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Could do Wilson some good to go north. He's young and clearly stalling at the Reds under Thorn. Valetini starts ahead of him at '23 RWC and '27 if he doesn't shake things up.

Also let Tupou go north where maybe a better paid strength and conditioning coach can manage him better.

Ikitau is a shame, he's only 24 and in his second year of national rugby.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
tough for wilson. samu and valentini clearly better than him and halloway and others have more versatility.
personally i haven't seen anything at test level from Wilson that warrants being ahead of those 2-3 and if you're not ahead of them its pretty hard to get into the squad the way the numbers break down.

he comes across to me as an old school bash and crash number 8 so frankly i understand the footwork comment a bit.

ikitau is someone you give a 3 year contract and he can go overseas to japan one year and still be selected. NZ style contract.

Thor is a tough one. he needs a lower workload year and for that reason i think france would be the wrong place for him to go. hybrid aus and japan would be good too!

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just read some detail on the talks between McLennan and Eddie Jones. There is an idea that he will be here to assist Rennie with the RWC.
He revealed he is ‘up for a scrap’ and ready for an immediate return - with a return home to Sydney having the potential to send fear down the corridors of power at Twickenham.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Youd think with all of the upcoming action with Lions and RWC wed have enough cash to at least keep the core squad guys like Ikitau and Tupou around.

I personally think it was stupid to leave Wilson behind and dont blame him for wanting to leave. Particularly when its obvious Samu isnt a viable replacement at 8 and Gleeson got a start.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Youd think with all of the upcoming action with Lions and RWC wed have enough cash to at least keep the core squad guys like Ikitau and Tupou around.

I personally think it was stupid to leave Wilson behind and dont blame him for wanting to leave. Particularly when its obvious Samu isnt a viable replacement at 8 and Gleeson got a start.
The kid is 23 and he’s unhappy he’s not there after not exactly lighting it on fire in his opportunities?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Is luring Eddie back for a push at the RWC23 a bit of pissing money against the wall?

I'm not sure we have the players settled in key positions to really make a claim.

Our 9 and 10 combo probably won't be decided until late in the year, no standout hookers, thin at centre. The list goes on...