• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Angus Bell, Rob Leota, Alan Ala'alatoa, Fraser McReight & Tate McDermott all to re-sign through to the Lions tour.

Rob Leota will most likely be holding Tom Hooper's tackling bags next season.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Angus Bell, Rob Leota, Alan Ala'alatoa, Fraser McReight & Tate McDermott all to re-sign through to the Lions tour.

That article mentions the new contracting arrangement has stalled.

Paraphrasing:

"Players will have more freedom to choose which team they play for as they're signed by RA and not to a franchise" but then later in the article "RA will have the power to move players to other teams if that team is stacked in a particular position".

Probably a bit of semantics around which players will be given the opportunity to choose and which players will be told what to do per their contract.

It will definitely make for an interesting period and open a few cans of worms. For example, Taniela Tupou, despite what is being said in the media, would likely have packed up and left the Reds if given open slather to pick which franchise to play for. The Reds aren't exactly flush with props though to step up so would leave them in a pickle. But this is what RA want?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
That article mentions the new contracting arrangement has stalled.

Paraphrasing:

"Players will have more freedom to choose which team they play for as they're signed by Rugby Australia and not to a franchise" but then later in the article "Rugby Australia will have the power to move players to other teams if that team is stacked in a particular position".

Probably a bit of semantics around which players will be given the opportunity to choose and which players will be told what to do per their contract.

It will definitely make for an interesting period and open a few cans of worms. For example, Taniela Tupou, despite what is being said in the media, would likely have packed up and left the Reds if given open slather to pick which franchise to play for. The Reds aren't exactly flush with props though to step up so would leave them in a pickle. But this is what Rugby Australia want?

I love that idea RA can move players. I would prefer one of the Brumbies locks to move to another franchise to get more game time.

The Tahs have too many 6/8's. Would love one at another club.

I doubt Tupou meets the criteria for a stacked position.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I love that idea Rugby Australia can move players. I would prefer one of the Brumbies locks to move to another franchise to get more game time.

Yes I agree, my point was it sounds like they're dipping their toes into both ponds, which could get interesting.

Having the ability to move players from stacked teams, but they also mention giving the players the ability to move teams if they want to.

They mention the arrangements have stalled and I imagine it's because the particulars of going both ways with that is quite difficult.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I love that idea Rugby Australia can move players. I would prefer one of the Brumbies locks to move to another franchise to get more game time.

Nah, the Brumbies have just the right amount of depth at lock...

4. Frost
5. Swain/Neville
6. Hooper

19. Swain/Neville

Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see Neville gone post-RWC and Hooper to split more time between lock and flanker.

Oh sure, we'd probably just develop another test quality lock and everyone would complain once again that there's too many Brumbies in the test team... but it's the burden we must carry... for the greater good.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah I don’t think having 4 good second rowers means there is a log jam. That’s good recruiting and development. The only example I could really think may have been the Brumbies Hooker Situation prior to FF (Folau Fainga'a) leaving.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To me this should be targeted around the second tier of Wallabies. Players who RA is willing to offer more money to and has some bargaining power to be able to say that we'll boost your contract by $x but only if you relocate to a particular team.

The highest paid players can effectively write their own ticket and demand they play at their chosen club. Nothing should really change there.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
To me this should be targeted around the second tier of Wallabies. Players who Rugby Australia is willing to offer more money to and has some bargaining power to be able to say that we'll boost your contract by $x but only if you relocate to a particular team.

The highest paid players can effectively write their own ticket and demand they play at their chosen club. Nothing should really change there.

Which is probably where the discussions get interesting.

There is a strong overseas market for 'second tier' Wallabies. You wonder whether the increase which RA could offer (along with being forced to relocate teams) is comparable to what these guys could get overseas. Considering they'd be leaving their home base anyway, the contract values would need to be pretty close.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Which is probably where the discussions get interesting.

There is a strong overseas market for 'second tier' Wallabies. You wonder whether the increase which Rugby Australia could offer (along with being forced to relocate teams) is comparable to what these guys could get overseas. Considering they'd be leaving their home base anyway, the contract values would need to be pretty close.

For sure.

The major carrot for these guys staying is still RWC and Lions Tour. I would guess just about all them could get paid a chunk more overseas regardless of a RA bump for relocating.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

4. Frost
5. Swain/Neville
6. Hooper

19. Swain/Neville

Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see Neville gone post-RWC and Hooper to split more time between lock and flanker.

Oh sure, we'd probably just develop another test quality lock and everyone would complain once again that there's too many Brumbies in the test team... but it's the burden we must carry... for the greater good.

Unless you count Hooper as a lock which I think was where he played this year.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
That might the smartest thing I’ve seen you post on this forum.

Tom Hooper will be in the RWC squad.
Hollaway is probably our 6 at the moment, but I feel a good season from some of the others might question that, being Swinton/Hooper/Wright .

Not a nailed-down spot for sure.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
There's Leota to come back as well.

Tom Hooper is a massive long shot to make the RWC squad.
Yep, massive long shot, he really needed to not get injured last year I think and he be in with a shout now his young inexperienced and unknown at test level. probably a year too soon.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

4. Frost
5. Swain/Neville
6. Hooper

19. Swain/Neville

its not about amount. All squads should have the right 'amount' of locks etc. It's about the quality. The argument is more around having Wallabies (or contenders) on the bench. Locks one spot the Brumbies have it and hooker the other, with 3 recent wallabies.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
its not about amount. All squads should have the right 'amount' of locks etc. It's about the quality. The argument is more around having Wallabies (or contenders) on the bench. Locks one spot the Brumbies have it and hooker the other, with 3 recent wallabies.

Yep great example- all the teams have ample lock options. But there is a major difference between 3-4 Wallaby standard players in a position, to 4 blokes coming out of clubland.

And before people start crying 'but we developed them etc', the longer-term benefit of freeing up those players to other clubs is you won't have a logjam of talent and end up losing the younger guys who you'll need in 2-3 years. Realistically it means the strong development pathways keep the Super Rugby teams strong as their young players are provided a chance to step up, and the production line keeps moving.

Of course that whole concept is reliant on rugby in Australia generally having the depth to keep producing good players.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Nah Reg, it's only a problem when the Reds have too many locks in 2019/20; LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda, Hockings and Blyth.