• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Also it’s Melbourne. Everyone here wears black anyway, so anyone not deliberately wearing gold was going to look like they supported NZ.

90% of Melbournians own either a north face or Kathmandu puffer jacket, they honestly make me sick melbournians

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
90% of Melbournians own either a north face or Kathmandu puffer jacket, they honestly make me sick melbournians

It’s becoming an east coat thing.

Brisbane cbd in wintertime is just a rotation of North Face, Kathmandu and Patagonia puffer vests because it barely gets cold enough to warrant any type of jackets, let alone thermal wear.

I still remember when the Kathmandu shop on the edge of the valley and city was empty 90% of the year, now it’s full of white collar workers.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The crowd noise was def not in favour of the ab's there was an ab's chant in the 2nd half that got drowned out by a wallabies chant. The biggest noise was by far when Samu crossed over in the tram tracks I thought the roof was going to come off. There was a fair amount of tension & noise after the "incident" to when jordie crossed.

In the nz section everyone wore black how ever in the wallabies section there was only splashes of gold. Casuals from melb dont own a wallabies jersey every kiwi owns at least 1 black t shirt.

The Vic govt signed like 6 year deal (or something like that) with Rugby Australia that was spose to have 2 bledisloe's & a lions test over the term of it. Covid stuffed it hense why all of a sudden there is 2 tests in 2 years.

This year is our best year, it's not going to be at Eden Park & we get the 1st test.
Yeah, granted I just wasn't there - but this is the perspective I got from watching it remotely:
That just doesn't look like a crowd that's devestated that the wallabies lost. Here's another video
, but different commentary. Just in case some one might think that commentary completely changes things like vision, crowd audio etc.

- that's 18 seconds into a post match press conference where a visiting coach is specifically drawing "special" attention to the melbourne crowd and actually stating that he is looking forward to playing there again. Can't find another source of the exact same post match conference, but I'm sure there's little chance that just because it was another source his words would be the exact opposite of what he said there.

Can't find the post match on field interviews outside of Stan and can't refernce Stan directly, but Ros specifically mentioned the all black support that had waited to see them in Melbourne - don't think I've heard that said in Brisbane or Sydney before but i coudl well be wrong. Also near the end of Slipper's interview the all black crowd that stayed behind after the match were so loud that he couldn't hear someone shouting at him from 2 feet away. They were cheering at some all blacks celebrating in the background - they definitely wer not cheering Slipper and they had to end the interview because of it.

Crazy scenes and am certainly happy that they got to see their team play, because I know how it feels not to be able to watch my team for a while. I wasn't there - but the vibe I got from the above (and throughout the match with the crowd noise) was very clearly different to your perspective. Thus why i believe it is home ground for them down there.

Not sure if you have ever lived in a large city with cooler weather but everyone wears a black coat.

Also we haven’t won the Bledisloe in 20yrs where the vast majority of games have been in Sydney and Brisbane, so playing elsewhere has done nothing to turn the tide.

This one's interesting - we lost it in 2003, and we have played in:

Sydney (including 2003) 14 times for 3 wins, 10 losses and 1 draw
Brisbane 7 times for 3 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw
Melbourne 3 times for 1 win, 2 losses (most probably not enough to reasonably draw conclusions from)

My numbers might well be sketchy, but I think they are there - still on hols and 3 past drunk atm

Not many countries would have grounds where the all blacks have less than 50% wins over the last 20 odd years (assuming they have played more than a few matches at least). We've also played around 25 matches there in the same time period with a much higher win percentage than other grounds across australia (again with more than a few matches). I'd say on the resulst alone, Sydney over that period has been the least successful and that coudl well be due to some of the grounds that they have played at not being entirely optimal for rugby (even old SFS wasn't super great - the new SFS looks amazing and I expect it will engagte the crowd way more than the old one).

I would venture to suggest that as time goes on the QueeNZlanders will inevitably outnumber the Wallaby supporters at Lang Park as well - i see a lot of season red jerseys at matches that turn up in all black jerseys when they do play here as well, but it's more likely to happen the longer we continue to lose to them, the QRU fail to prioritise winning every home match, and the longer between drinks for the All Blacks to play here.

I'll add this one side note - there are certain experiences that are indescribable and somehow generate a feeling that is instantly recognisable as "different". Lang Park and Caxton St prior to a 45k + crowd in just about any sport is one of them. There is a "we are going to win" that permeates and is felt. Weird.

At the other end of the spectrum, but equally noteworthy for how intense the feelinig is: the old Gateway motorway northbound from 3pm on Friday afternoon - there was no greater despair and utter dread felt than that experience.

*edit* - I haven't watched the all blacks play in Melbourne yet - but maybe if the planet doesn't blow itself up this year, I might get to see what it's like. I have seen a butt tonne of boxing days there though including the record crawd against englanf years ago and it certainly had some feeling in the air.

Last edited:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I also got a really strong Kiwi vibe by those videos from the All Blacks’ YouTube page, featuring the All Blacks’ watermark, and the New Zealand commentary, from the New Zealand broadcast, particular during the All Blacks’ press conference…
Woulda used stan if I could, but I can't. Same message as above, same vibe. But I stand corrected - it's actually just the northface clothing that changes things like the words, the sounds and the vision.

Last edited:

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
From the current signed (plus mcdermott) lists of each team - this is the best team I can come up with for 2024.

Here's to a strong 2023 in signings! Hope the new deals and the incoming tours gets some staying power for payroll

1. Lambert 2. Porecki 3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Rodda 5. Frost
6. T.Hooper 8. Pugh 7. Wilkins
9. Mcdermott 10. Lolesio 11. petaia 12. Foketi 13. Perese 14. Kellaway 15. Campebell
16. Lonergan 17. Wagner 18. Talakai 19. Swain 20. Wright 21. Lonergan 22. Edmed 23. Muirhead

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I live in the Southern Highlands and I thought like members section - 'bunch of wankers', then the sleet came and it got bloody cold. I went to the salvo's who had heaps of them a couple of weeks before and they had all gone!
Couldn't find a puffer to save my life and was not prepared to pay for one retail, so found a heavy jacket that does the job.
I find the women in their below the knees one a bit of over kill...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
go
Yeah, granted I just wasn't there - but this is the perspective I got from watching it remotely:
That just doesn't look like a crowd that's devestated that the wallabies lost. Here's another video
, but different commentary. Just in case some one might think that commentary completely changes things like vision, crowd audio etc.

- that's 18 seconds into a post match press conference where a visiting coach is specifically drawing "special" attention to the melbourne crowd and actually stating that he is looking forward to playing there again. Can't find another source of the exact same post match conference, but I'm sure there's little chance that just because it was another source his words would be the exact opposite of what he said there.

Can't find the post match on field interviews outside of Stan and can't refernce Stan directly, but Ros specifically mentioned the all black support that had waited to see them in Melbourne - don't think I've heard that said in Brisbane or Sydney before but i coudl well be wrong. Also near the end of Slipper's interview the all black crowd that stayed behind after the match were so loud that he couldn't hear someone shouting at him from 2 feet away. They were cheering at some all blacks celebrating in the background - they definitely wer not cheering Slipper and they had to end the interview because of it.

Crazy scenes and am certainly happy that they got to see their team play, because I know how it feels not to be able to watch my team for a while. I wasn't there - but the vibe I got from the above (and throughout the match with the crowd noise) was very clearly different to your perspective. Thus why i believe it is home ground for them down there.

This one's interesting - we lost it in 2003, and we have played in:

Sydney (including 2003) 14 times for 3 wins, 10 losses and 1 draw
Brisbane 7 times for 3 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw
Melbourne 3 times for 1 win, 2 losses (most probably not enough to reasonably draw conclusions from)

My numbers might well be sketchy, but I think they are there - still on hols and 3 past drunk atm

Not many countries would have grounds where the all blacks have less than 50% wins over the last 20 odd years (assuming they have played more than a few matches at least). We've also played around 25 matches there in the same time period with a much higher win percentage than other grounds across australia (again with more than a few matches). I'd say on the resulst alone, Sydney over that period has been the least successful and that coudl well be due to some of the grounds that they have played at not being entirely optimal for rugby (even old SFS wasn't super great - the new SFS looks amazing and I expect it will engagte the crowd way more than the old one).

I would venture to suggest that as time goes on the QueeNZlanders will inevitably outnumber the Wallaby supporters at Lang Park as well - i see a lot of season red jerseys at matches that turn up in all black jerseys when they do play here as well, but it's more likely to happen the longer we continue to lose to them, the QRU fail to prioritise winning every home match, and the longer between drinks for the All Blacks to play here.

I'll add this one side note - there are certain experiences that are indescribable and somehow generate a feeling that is instantly recognisable as "different". Lang Park and Caxton St prior to a 45k + crowd in just about any sport is one of them. There is a "we are going to win" that permeates and is felt. Weird.

At the other end of the spectrum, but equally noteworthy for how intense the feelinig is: the old Gateway motorway northbound from 3pm on Friday afternoon - there was no greater despair and utter dread felt than that experience.

*edit* - I haven't watched the all blacks play in Melbourne yet - but maybe if the planet doesn't blow itself up this year, I might get to see what it's like. I have seen a butt tonne of boxing days there though including the record crawd against englanf years ago and it certainly had some feeling in the air.
Good analysis Gel and I agree with you. The Melbourne supporters, the only time I was there were hardly falling over themselves to support Australia. Are they pushing for secession?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Self entitled pricks? Its worn by like half the population.

The fuck does this senile judgment have to do with the Wallabies? Except reinforcing bad stereotypes.
The thing with stereo types is they don’t apply to everyone but generally consist of some truth.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lot of cranky old men in this thread 'hating' a plain black jacket. You're all clearly too old to be permitted to use the internet.
To be fair to those cranky old men it has become a bit of a fad.

This coming from a shorts and jersey in winter guy (southern NSW) lol