• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I had entirely forgotten about him. Was supposed to be the next big thing for a hot minute there a few years ago. Has he been going well at Suntory?
no idea to be honest. Didn't realise where he was until I saw their squad list.

I am fascinated by which players react and how to Eddie.

Tupou....someone who some may suggest has been a little mollycoddled but has undoubted ability. Eddie could break him or make him.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Australia's best teams were the ones that had brilliant generational players (Campese, Eales, Horan, Larkham, Burke).

Anyone know of any similar players available?
interesting trait all of those named had was "Passion" for all the on and off field facets of rugby

Not in it for the $$$, or anything else but the love of the game and winning. All the other spoils arrived because of their success.

Could be a lesson in that for some of the "mercenaries" and player agents around today.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Tupou....someone who some may suggest has been a little mollycoddled but has undoubted ability. Eddie could break him or make him.
Yeah, really pivotal time for a lot of those guys coming into their mid twenty's. Eddie will be a major factor in their contract decisions going forward, for better or worse. The change over should hopefully buy us an extra season with some who were about to leave while they workout what it means for them.

On the Suntory connection I noticed John Pryor is doing S&C for them. I wonder if he'll get an elevated role with the Wallabies after all of last years troubles. Might depend on what his current role with RA entails and how involved in that he was.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Well the Wallabies at the world cup just got interesting that's for sure. No coach of any other country will be happy about this appointment and it will be very interesting to see how the English players will cope mentally in a quarter final against Wallabies. Don't agree with everything Eddie does or says but I am glad he is on our team. Will be interesting to see how Eddie engages with the Super Rugby Coaches and vice versa.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the reason we all feel bad for Rennie is because he is such a nice bloke so we all sorta adopted the Kiwi. But if cheika was at 38% win rate we would have had him drawn and quartered on free to air tv
But we’d have to wait for the delayed broadcast and already know the result…
I think the Board in “searching for answers” to the recent inconsistent results thought that pulling the patriotic card would sell.
I said this when Robbie was appointed that there are some very unique things to Australian rugby that NZ coaches who have only really coached in NZ wouldn’t have ever faced or thought about as a coach in NZ. And I suspect that when you are at the top level you don’t have the time to deal with that.
Systems, culture, assumed knowledge/skill, those things will be well known to Eddie.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Wonder if undersized and overrated Hooper makes captain under his fifth coach.
Not sure if the assessment was tongue in cheek there, but at a guess I'd say Hooper still won't want the captaincy after stepping away last year. I think Eddie will either be looking at Slipper for continuity or for someone entirely new to make his mark going forward.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Jones is a great coach, but like Cheika, their intensity/approach seems to diminish in effectiveness over time

For the RWC? It could work, we may make the semis

How the following four years go, dunno

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

Tupou, Lolesio and Swain are the three in that ‘make or break’ category for me.
They all seem on the cusp of either having their ego beaten out of them/find a real mentor Who turns them into All-Time greats, /turning mercenary because they can’t deal with the cauldron.

I really hope all three end up in the ‘found their mentor’ basket

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Did he run over your cat or something?

A RWC win with the Boks, coaching Japan to knock of the Boks at a RWC, 18 straight test wins right out of the gate with England a few months after they didn’t even make it out of their pool in a home RWC, two series wins away against the Wallabies, a RWC final with England and a 74% win ratio and you think he’s an old ‘has-been’ ?

You must be a Queenslander, everyone else around the world would’ve killed to hire him, especially with a WC just around the corner.

I just put 2k on us to win at 12-1. We have an incredibly easy draw, he’s been planning for this WC for the last few years, and now instead of him trying to knock us out, we get his unparalleled knowledge of our own weaknesses that he can use immediately to rectify, as well as intimate knowledge of England’s strengths and weaknesses.
They are likely our only difficult game before the final against France, who we came within a bee’s dick of beating at home with nearly two entire match day squads out injured.

Board the train you muppet, we’ll win it this year, and with the Lions in 2 years, then a home World Cup, the future is looking bright.

As long as you pull your head out of a 16yo dark cavity just below your spine.
I hope not - we're better behaved than that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Sinckler and Genge thrived under Eddie.
Also this:

Absolutely brutal. Misses out on the experience of a world cup. Can't even jump on board with a smaller team.
This must mean RFU aren't paying Eddie his 2023 salary which is why he's come now and not next year.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don’t think it matter who is coach of the wallaby. They have three major problem:

1. No world-class 10.
2. Skill level still below where it should be for many breaking into this level and we have people like Nathan Grey coaching the pathway. Ahem…
3. Continued reliance on and inability to move on from player who have failed at this level.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think Tupou is in too many categories with Lolesio or Swain. If he fizzles out on the world stage it will probably be because of injury and even then he'd still be remembered as one of our most destructive props ever. The other two have some potential but are a long way away.

Put the lube away - he’s a kid in a tighthead’s incredibly physically gifted body, no more.

Anyone who says publicly ‘show me the money’ should be slapped around the change room by John Eales until they publicly beg to be allowed to turn up to training again.

I’m well aware rugby is pro now and players think they have limited years to make their coin, but you can fuck right off immediately when you start to think you’re bigger than the team.

he’s the ‘needs his ego beaten out of him or f off’ category. I’ll take a journeyman who’s ‘starving and broke’ over a kid who’s had smoke blown up his arse. Ideally, Tupou gets the ‘starving and broke’ mindset instilled in him and then he’ll be the greatest tighthead prop ever, but if he doesn’.....