• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
He’s on $800000 and has been pretty ordinary. Australia A games he was no where… and I too have heard he is a poor trainer. Eddie won’t tolerate that.
I hope Eddie starts from scratch and makes players earn their spot on 2023 form, not on what has happened in the past. I want him to make everyone earn their spot and be competing against each other.

I wish we still had an Australian super rugby season with full home and away where each week you have to prove you are best at your position against others who want your spot.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
It's worth remembering that not all international players are immediately eligible under the current rules, the still need 5 years super rugby or 30 caps. So players like Ben Meehan and Harry Potter are not eligible for selection under Rugby Australia's rules. These players would need to be signed with an Australian super rugby side to enter into the conversation.
Yes. Which means unless they are definitely going to be getting some real game time in the Wallabies it's unlikely you'd attract them back. I'm not sure scrum-half is an area we lack for someone like Meehan who also must be 30 or so now. Potter is playing some nice Rugby and is still only 25 or so. I'd like to see one of the SuperRugby franchises attract him back.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Interesting. He would be eligible to be picked from overseas but I wonder if he would stay at the Brums. Raises questions over guys like Lonergan. Don't want to be on the bench that entire time.
Yep he said to the media, he wants to play to the lions at least, his done his overseas stint so isn't interested in anything else.. Lonergan I think will pass him at some point, but being canberra boys wont move.......... very interesting

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Anyone seen how Sefa Naivalu is playing this year? His ability on the wing was always underrated. When fit he was quick, and I was furious when the Rebels let him go.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Anyone seen how Sefa Naivalu is playing this year? His ability on the wing was always underrated. When fit he was quick, and I was furious when the Rebels let him go.
been injured for most of last year. Played well (at 13) for Stade when he was fit.

edit: just looked it up, got injured in October, probably returning in the next couple months.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't doubt he has matured since his early days, but the bar was very low to begin with.

Quade has done very well at growing his brand and associating himself with a mindset that gives an aura of control and maturity.

Don't be fooled by podcast interviews though and self-branding social media.
Haters gonna hate. Yeah he manages his brand but you see him grinding every day on Insta. You see the commitment to his body. There is a reason they wanted him back after 4 years away

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't doubt he has matured since his early days, but the bar was very low to begin with.

Quade has done very well at growing his brand and associating himself with a mindset that gives an aura of control and maturity.

Don't be fooled by podcast interviews though and self-branding social media.

In fairness he was also excellent in 2021, so the performance on the park backed up the brand image. He's still our best 10 by a distance.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
This Rennie PR campaign continuing here I see

Yeah, he did a great job getting a 38% win record out of a tier 1 nation. Covid only affected Australia apparently as no other team has used this as an excuse
Except a more nuanced analysis of Australia & England's performance from the last World Cup cycle reflects a lot more favourably on Rennie compared to Jones.

Eddie Jones took England rapidly backwards, while Rennie has arguably brought his side the most measurable improvement post-2019 of any national coach bar Galthie & Farrell.

The Wallabies have beaten or come within a few points of all the top teams in the last 12 months, despite a massive injury toll, and the domestic game only recently recovering from COVID disruptions that had a huge impact due to both federal and state restrictions and severe cuts in revenue. Depth, combinations, and former weaknesses such as set-piece, breakdown and kick receipt have all improved significantly.

Rennie's Wallabies were on track to make the semi-finals of RWC this year. If Jones/McLennan achieve anything less than that, they should be judged as failures and removed.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It needs to be repeated once again. Reaching the SF is not a significant achievement given Australia's draw.
For a team with a 38% win rating over the last three years? I think not.

All it takes is a loss to Wales and we are probably fucked. We lost to them last RWC and in every game since bar one.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This obsession with size is weird. Samu is about 1cm and 1kg larger than Hooper so, yeah, no.
Screenshot_20230123-093227~3.png

He is more than 1cm taller. But, yeah, a player's bio stats aren't the selector.

Samu does bring different strengths ... and weaknesses.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Except a more nuanced analysis of Australia & England's performance from the last World Cup cycle reflects a lot more favourably on Rennie compared to Jones.

Eddie Jones took England rapidly backwards, while Rennie has arguably brought his side the most measurable improvement post-2019 of any national coach bar Galthie & Farrell.

The Wallabies have beaten or come within a few points of all the top teams in the last 12 months, despite a massive injury toll, and the domestic game only recently recovering from COVID disruptions that had a huge impact due to both federal and state restrictions and severe cuts in revenue. Depth, combinations, and former weaknesses such as set-piece, breakdown and kick receipt have all improved significantly.

Rennie's Wallabies were on track to make the semi finals of RWC this year. If Jones/McLennan achieve anything less than that, they should be judged as failures and removed.
This will be the last I respond to this nonsense, as saying a man with a 36% record that replaced a man with a 50% win record greatly improved his team is just nonsensical.

- Massive injury toll? Mainly his fault. He had the same problem at the Chiefs, he over trains players and they break down.
- Covid? Every country in the world was affected by covid, not just Dave Rennie. Didnt bother Andy Farrell too much. Hell, the Wallabies got the whole 2020 Tri Nations played in Australia and still came last

-Depth? What depth? We have no preferred hooker, no preferred Blindside Flanker, No preferred halfback, No Preferred First Five, no preferred fullback. That's no building depth, it's playing musical chairs because you're not a great selector
-Our set piece is still average, line out has been poor and line out drive non existent for the most part. Breakdown work has also been spotty, they were blown out at the breakdown numerous times this season

Improving teams don't lose 48-17 to Argentina, Improving teams don't lose to Italy

By the way Eddie won the 6 Nations in 2020

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
By the way Eddie won the 6 Nations in 2020
Borthwick won England the 6 nations in 2020, remember he left Jones after that season.

Eddie only has a 42% success rate since his top assistant Borthwick departed.

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
It needs to be repeated once again. Reaching the SF is not a significant achievement given Australia's draw.
Exactly, it makes the reactionary decision to sack Rennie look even more foolish. The Wallabies had an incredibly favourable draw and were on an upward trajectory under Rennie, all indicators were pointing to the fact that Wallabies were going to have a massive payoff year in 2023 - thanks to Rennie's long term incremental developments rather than the narrow short-term focused approach we had witnessed under Cheika. In this upcoming season Jones is likely to ride off the back of Rennie's great work, as Rennie had developed an experienced & cohesive team spine of established players and leaders in critical positions. The team when injury free essentially names itself now because Rennie had astutely identified the right selection mix & key combinations the Wallabies needed going forward.

Last edited: