• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
If he hasn’t been working in rugby for 8-9 years, that would be an issue. A lot changes quickly.

C'mon mate let a guy dream will you?

Remember when Hamish McLennan touted Jones' return as the greatest comeback story in rugby history?

Well, what if I told you there's more from that development to come? Imagine the scenes:

What more plucky against-the-odds comeback story than a guy cast into rugby hiding only to make a spectacular return to international rugby after an 8 year hiatus, it's akin to the Dark Knight Rises - In a heroic gesture - he took the fall for Australian rugby (despite doing no wrong..) and voluntarily stood down from active service, "the hero Australia/Gotham deserved, just not the one it needed" right then... but now he's summoned back into action - when his country needs him the most - as Stephen Moore declared in his interview: "the game has never been in a worse spot in Australia than right now..."

Just imagine the scenes, long-awaited reunion of the 1987-1991 Randwick front-row Master coaches, arguably the greatest Australia have produced:

1675046718292.png

Link & Eddie - back in the coaching box for the home World Cup 2003, and NOW 2027... The stars are aligning again boys, it's retribution time!

1675046812897.png

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

I think it's safe to say at this point the only people who wouldn't be on board with this development is the incumbent Wallabies 7 and Slipper (who IIRC also was a prominent member of the pro-Beale/anti-McKenzie faction), the rest of the group, bar Cooper and White, simply don't have any skin in the game.

No matter! We have St Bede's of Christchurch finest product Charlie Gamble who is more than an adequate replacement for a past-prime Hooper.

On the other hand, Angus Bell is already miles better than Slipper, remarkably at just 19 - he was close to (if not) the Wallabies best forward in 2020 and is currently on track to become Australia's greatest prop of all time. Slipper has generally poor discipline and concedes too many penalties, like Hooper he's on the decline anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ged

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
RA pitched the idea to the Wallabies’ coaching set-up previously, but sources told The Roar that former coach Dave Rennie did not want any cameras in the dressing room.

Now, with a new coach, the momentum has begun to get the idea off the ground. Sources believe Jones will be more receptive to the idea.

Another point in favour of change. RA needs all the advert possible. So if you have to put 20 cameras in the dressing room to expand the game, let's do it!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
what''s the rational for that?
explained in the article - CBA squad and salary caps are finalling being enforced and it takes two injuries in a position to bring in a joker now.

Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread though, meant to put in the tahs one. That'll teach me for pre-coffee posting

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
The interesting thing in that article is that EJ (Eddie Jones) hasn't met with Dan McKellar yet, going to meet in "coming days". I thought meeting with DM (and other remaining assistant coaches) would have been higher on the agenda?

I get there would have been some admin stuff to do yesterday.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
explained in the article - CBA squad and salary caps are finalling being enforced and it takes two injuries in a position to bring in a joker now.

Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread though, meant to put in the tahs one. That'll teach me for pre-coffee posting

Are these rules for Australian franchises or Super P franchises?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Are these rules for Australian franchises or Super P franchises?
Just Australian if it's from the CBA, New Zealand have their own rules for this stuff. I think the competition level rules only really define finals eligibility (and maybe overall squad size as a result). I think the plan is still to standardize them when the independent commission comes in to manage the competition though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Just Australian if it's from the CBA, New Zealand have their own rules for this stuff. I think the competition level rules only really define finals eligibility (and maybe overall squad size as a result). I think the plan is still to standardize them when the independent commission comes in to manage the competition though.

So the issue here is holding Waratahs to account for something outside of their control, on a player they were encouraged to take on by RA (as I understand it) that is not expressly covered in the rules - at the disadvantage of an Australian franchise over their Kiwi competition.

Wasn't there meant to be a competition overview outside of Kiwi/Aus control?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So the issue here is holding Waratahs to account for something outside of their control, on a player they were encouraged to take on by Rugby Australia (as I understand it) that is not expressly covered in the rules - at the disadvantage of an Australian franchise over their Kiwi competition.

Wasn't there meant to be a competition overview outside of Kiwi/Aus control?
Competition overview like that is coming, this season is still SANZAR governed.

I don't think there's any issue here - the Waratahs applied for the exemption and were denied, end of. I think the article took it as an opportunity to report on rules that had always been a bit opaque and changeable but appear to have settled into something real and enforced. In terms of the Waratahs disadvantage it's no different to if an individual player had a season ending injury.