• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'm not sure why RA are stopping the Tahs getting exemption, the salary cap for Aus teams is set by RA not Sanzaar, so you would think they could give a dispensation fairly easily.
Or maybe they just rying to force the Tahs to give a couple of their young 10s some gametime at 15? ;)

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
he started work yesterday
True, but Eddie likes to play 4D chess in everything, probably letting Dan stew for a few days before making contact. He's obviously been pretty active even before officially starting work yesterday.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
he started work yesterday
Totally get he started yesterday (well, he was on the ground on Sunday so getting in early), I guess I would have thought that the assistants may have been on hand yesterday as part of the on-boarding process - maybe he did meet them, but hasn't had a proper coaches meeting yet, which is fine.

I'm probably reading too much into the tea leaves :)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Totally get he started yesterday (well, he was on the ground on Sunday so getting in early), I guess I would have thought that the assistants may have been on hand yesterday as part of the on-boarding process - maybe he did meet them, but hasn't had a proper coaches meeting yet, which is fine.

I'm probably reading too much into the tea leaves :)

This was from the Roar yesterday...

As well as arranging meetings with the Super Rugby franchises, it’s more than likely he will speak with Wallabies assistant coach Dan McKellar, who is in town and is expected to spend time with the Waratahs throughout the week.

McKellar’s future has been the subject of much conjecture in recent weeks given some believed he was in-line to succeed axed coach Dave Rennie.

But Jones’ five-year deal has tempered any genuine possibility of that occurring any time soon.

Whether he wants to serve under Jones for the long-term remains to be seen, but it is understood that at the very least McKellar wants to go to the Wallabies as an assistant under the veteran coach.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was impressed with Eddie stating that player confidence comes from repeating successes and that should come from Super Rugby and training. This is a sensible comment as opposed to the stupid idea that all you have to do is be 'up for it', 'feeling good' etc. Real confidence comes from competence.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I only caught some of the presser, but I found it interesting that Eddie indicated that the make-up of the coaching team would be defined by what the players need. Seems inverted from the normal approach of securing the best coaches available in the normal categories of forwards, backs, defence, etc.

I do remember from a previous interview that he explained several of his England assistant coach choices around things like balancing personalities across the coaches, no mention of technical expertise. Though he does seem to recruit technical experts by and large. And league defence coaches.