• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
As expected the presser appeared very stage managed, nothing that was not expected, even the journalists questions seemed tempered.

It is the first step and I would not have expected anything different.

It was a bit dissapointing but expected that the national reach of the game was ignored or not mentioned and it seemed to be very Sydney centric with a smattering of Queensland comments.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As expected the presser appeared very stage managed, nothing that was not expected, even the journalists questions seemed tempered.

It was a bit dissapointing but expected that the national reach of the game was ignored or not mentioned and it seemed to be very Sydney centric with a smattering of Queensland comments.

it's been documented, and Eddie reiterated it recently, Eddie was never a fan of expansion

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I had a Pub Trivia question on Sunday night.
"Who is the Wallabies coach ?"

Didn't know what to put :confused:
reminds me of many years ago, living and working in London, went to a trivia night, Q especially for me, who is the Oz PM? i answered correctly John Howard, the election being about 4 -5 days prior, but their answer was Paul Keating, and would brook no correspondence!

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
And listed Noah 4th out of the other capped 10s and practically forgot his name.

I'm not surprised Lolesio isn't considered too highly by Eddie.

If Lolesio & Paisami remain with the squad they ought to invest in a decent psychologist because Eddie is going to absolutely eviscerate them for their decision-making or lack thereof at test level...

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I only caught some of the presser, but I found it interesting that Eddie indicated that the make-up of the coaching team would be defined by what the players need. Seems inverted from the normal approach of securing the best coaches available in the normal categories of forwards, backs, defence, etc.

I do remember from a previous interview that he explained several of his England assistant coach choices around things like balancing personalities across the coaches, no mention of technical expertise.
And that's exactly the approach that leaves you with a bunch of yes-men. At England Jones recruited Gleeson as attack coach who was a former league player who had only coached for 2 seasons in the Premiership with Wasps, with very middling results.

The same year he appointed Seibold who didn't have any rugby union coaching experience, and Brett Hodgson another league coach was set to replace him this season.

I simply don't trust Jones to appoint the most qualified people available.

It's been apparent for many years now he's gravitated towards appointing coaches with absolutely minimal success & minimal experience.

Perhaps this is because they are at a point of their coaching career where they are in no position of confidence to challenge him and probably are easier to bully and manipulate - since they are somewhat naïve at that stage - being young unsuspecting wide-eyed developing coaches?

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
And that's exactly the approach that leaves you with a bunch of yes-men. At England Jones recruited Gleeson as attack coach who was a former league player who had only coached for 2 seasons in the Premiership with Wasps, with very middling results.

The same year he appointed Seibold who didn't have any rugby union coaching experience, and Brett Hodgson another league coach was set to replace him this season.

I simply don't trust Jones to appoint the most qualified people available.

It's been apparent for many years now he's gravitated towards appointing coaches with absolutely minimal success & minimal experience.

Perhaps this is because they are at a point of their coaching career where they are in no position of confidence to challenge him and probably are easier to bully and manipulate - since they are somewhat naïve at that stage - being young unsuspecting wide-eyed developing coaches?
He appointed your hero Borthwick though

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Well, that is where the majority of rugby is played in Australia

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dan McKellar, for the short-term at least, is considered by some as an important figure in the continuity of the squad given his deep understanding of the current players, his coaching pedigree and the fact he’s run a program himself.

It’s believed there is an appreciation of Laurie Fisher’s service to Australian rugby and his technical knowledge around the breakdown.

But Petrus du Plessis’ future with the Wallabies as scrum coach is shaky, with Brumbies forwards coach and former Wallaby prop Dan Palmer highly regarded.

Jones knows the importance of the set-piece, having seen his English side smashed at the scrum against the Springboks in the World Cup final and, most recently, his final Test at Twickenham.

I like the sound of this Christy Doran...

Bring in Peter Hewat as attack coach and the old gang is back together.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
There's a rumour McKellar might be off to the Reds - perhaps Dan overheard some horror stories from Scotty Wisemantel about his time with Jones in England. Haha, I get the impression Eddie's history is such that most quality coaches out there wouldn't want to touch the current Wallabies assistant's gig with a barge pole... I do think ARU missed a trick by not waiting until Robertson, if available next year, they could've had Razor responsible for all the man-management and Eddie as Director of Rugby contributing to the wider strategy & bigger picture stuff, dealing with the internal politics and attacking the systematic issues with the game in Aus. Imagine how more effective and practical that type of structure could've been - Eddie's already got a lot on his plate with the head coaching responsibility - in addition to juggling the Wallaroo's role as well...

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Didn't he also hire Link? (Twice!)
Yes and notably (just like Borthwick) Eddie achieved his best results during the period with Link as forwards coach.

And also like Borthwick, once Ewen McKenzie departed the national setup Eddie's results went rapidly downhill.

Therefore the only conclusion here is that fast Eddie needs to get back on that phone to Link pronto!

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There's a rumour McKellar's might be off to the Reds - perhaps Dan overheard some horror stories from Scotty Wisemantel about his time with Jones in England. Haha, I get the impression that Eddie's history is such that most quality coaches wouldn't want to touch the Wallabies assistant gig with a barge pole... I do think ARU missed a trick by not waiting until Robertson, if available next year, they could've had Razor responsible for all the man-management and Eddie as Director of Rugby contributing to the wider strategy & bigger picture stuff, dealing with the internal politics and attacking the systematic issues with the game in Aus. Imagine that.
This dude is 100% trolling.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
*squart sqwitch*
I wonderifthisisthekindof WORK. ON. that the wallbiesneedtohaveintheir GAME. the KICKING from whiteisgenerallyprettygoodbutthelackofchasersistherealissueand INEVITABLY AND OFTEN leadstojustanetlossorreallystrong SCORING position.Hopefullyeddiecanmake MASSIVE GAINS
IN.

THIS.

AREA.

*squart sqwitch*