• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
While to some extent the arrival of Eddie Jones provides a blank slate for players who have been down the pecking order to jump into the RWC squad or matchday 23, I think Jones will know he has to lean heavily on experience and incumbency.

The RWC provides a rare opportunity to prepare a string of test matches for longer than you get at any other point in the four year cycle but likewise he will know that if he tries to start from scratch he will be putting himself at a huge disadvantage to our competitors.

Who knows what will happen but I'll be incredibly surprised if we see more than one or two debutants this year and more than a few players featuring in the best 23 who haven't been at least semi-regulars over the last couple of years.
Sure BH - I agree. But there are a large group of guys who could be in the mix to fill those couple of spots. Genuine debutants like Josh Nasser, Trevor Hosea, Tom Hooper, Charlie Gamble, Will Harris, Hamish Stewart, Carter Gordon, Tane Edmed, Josh Flook, Dylan Pietsch. Guys who have had a small taste like Donaldson, Gleeson, Ryan Lonergan, Suliasi Vunivalu and guys who seemed to fall back a bit in the pecking order through form and fitness like Harry Wilson, Liam Wright, Filipo Daugunu, Lachie Swinton, Tolu Latu, Pone Fa’amausili.

I’m not saying I think all those guys are in the running - but there are some pretty good names on that list. And there really are only a couple of nailed on guys who I don’t think are in any realistic risk of missing out.

Two things I’d be confident of
- that Eddie Jones and all of the Super coaches will be selling the dream to their players.
- that when Jones named his first squad there will be 2 or 3 key omissions/inclusions

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
While to some extent the arrival of Eddie Jones provides a blank slate for players who have been down the pecking order to jump into the RWC squad or matchday 23, I think Jones will know he has to lean heavily on experience and incumbency.

The RWC provides a rare opportunity to prepare a string of test matches for longer than you get at any other point in the four year cycle but likewise he will know that if he tries to start from scratch he will be putting himself at a huge disadvantage to our competitors.

Who knows what will happen but I'll be incredibly surprised if we see more than one or two debutants this year and more than a few players featuring in the best 23 who haven't been at least semi-regulars over the last couple of years.
It's in his DNA, I think we have been too taken in by the open book approach, reality states that ain't how he works.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It will take an absolutely outstanding Super Rugby to move most of the team, not sure the number is as low as BH states 1 or 2 but it won't be more than 4 in the RWC squad (33) I reckon, except for injuries - fell out with Eddie. normal stuff.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It'll be interesting to see the balance there, because on the face of it Blyth is probably the one Jones is most likely to push out of the starting 15. Certainly then makes sense for them to be the 2 main callers.
I actually think Blythe primed for a big shift in 2023, he is hitting the right level of maturity for a lock to shine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see his name thrown in the mix later this year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I actually think Blythe primed for a big shift in 2023, he is hitting the right level of maturity for a lock to shine. I wouldn’t be surprised to see his name thrown in the mix later this year.
I probably don’t share your confidence Adam as there just seems too many in front of him, but I’d love you to be right. When Rodda & Hockings departed I thought Blyth was mighty for us and then he fell out of favour. Would love to see him up at that level - even if he can’t ultimately crack the squad.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I like Blyth and I'd be happy to see it, but there's going to be heaps of contest for those available spots between him, Smith, Jones and Uru so he's in a bit of danger if he starts the season a step behind the others. Hopefully that's enough motivation for him to really rip in from the get go.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Eddie Jones has started a weekly podcast with David Pembroke, his adviser(?) and best bud(????), called "EDDIE". Good on him, really giving it his all.

EDIT: first 15 minutes bit generic, same stuff he's being saying for the past month. But last half is great, he does an analysis of the up coming 6 nations.
Interesting

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just to add to the 10 debate again Hamish Stewart is starting at 10 tomorrow
Was always a fan of him at 10 since I first saw him play there in a trial for the Reds years ago - hopefully he can have a cracker of a season and lay down the gauntlet!

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I think the recent English 6 Nations squad is instructive. 90% the usual suspects, but the other 10% aren't there if Jones is still the coach. Probably see a similar kind of churn with the Wallabies, although it's hard to know what Rennies first choice even was with all of the injuries and lack of availability.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Eddie is at home again, now only one thing is missing

Asics: Bring back the green rings on the sleeves. The power is there, without that is like Thor without his hammer

20230203-113648.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Arnold? nah. He gets hyped up but then rarely has a big impact for us. And given the limitations around his possible selection I think he's way down.

Swain is possibly the most talented of the lot but he needs to work on the mental side of things a fair bit.
My tip D is that Rory will be back in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) in 2024, at the Tahs. We'll see how good the fans think he is then, won't we?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My tip D is that Rory will be back in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) in 2024, at the Tahs. We'll see how good the fans think he is then, won't we?
I don’t think anyone disagrees he was excellent at Super Rugby level BR, and from all accounts he has been excellent in Europe too. I don’t think he’s been bad at test level - just not clearly better than others. I suspect if he was given an extended run this could well change but in his chances to date I don’t think he’s made himself a ‘must pick’.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the recent English 6 Nations squad is instructive. 90% the usual suspects, but the other 10% aren't there if Jones is still the coach. Probably see a similar kind of churn with the Wallabies, although it's hard to know what Rennies first choice even was with all of the injuries and lack of availability.
Borthwick has selected on form and dropped the guys who Eddie picked solely on reputation - B.Vunipola, Nowell, May, Hill, Cowan-Dickie, Simmons, etc. England are going to improve immensely under the vastly superior young coaches Steve Borthwick and Nick Evans.

Last edited: