• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I think there's a big chance for changes in QLD if results aren't good which I would say means finishing outside of the top 2 Australian teams. Could be in his mind. There's always the Force... A players last stop before going overseas

****Sorry to bring up coach chat

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Japan haven't normally thrown big money at props, but most props aren't like Tupou

If it's a long term contract, The Super Rugby club he signs with will depend largely on which one allows him to take the most sabbatical's

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Japan haven't normally thrown big money at props, but most props aren't like Tupou

If it's a long term contract, The Super Rugby club he signs with will depend largely on which one allows him to take the most sabbatical's
He hasn't exactly demonstrated lately a large load of durability

Playing more rugby per year will be an interesting gambit for him.

There were comments he was unhappy with the workload/minutes expected of him at the Reds as well

Wilson

David Codey (61)

The when is probably a key component of that too, I imagine there's probably a push for a 2024 sabbatical which would be 2 seasons in a row without him from a Reds perspective, followed by a Lions year when RA will likely look to rest him and manage his load. You have to question the value in it for them at that stage, particularly if there's another sabbatical in 2026.

Probably easier for another side to justify paying early to get him in, particularly if they're in need of star power. The Reds calculation right now might be Tupou or Kerevi from 2024 onwards, and who they can get the most value out of on reduced minutes.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The rumours previously suggested Reds were willing to support 1 sabbatical in a multi-year contract, but Rebels were dangling 2

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, there's no value in 2 sabbaticals for the Reds unless RA covers the bulk of it and it's largely exempt from the cap. On a contract through 2027 that would only get them two reduced load seasons (25 Lions tour, 27 World cup). Any cap burden in that and squad management becomes impossible with this big chunk fluctuating in and out of the available spend, let alone the straight cost of it.

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Yeah England looked great

To be fair, you can't expect Borthwick to work miracles overnight, Eddie left the team in a utter diabolical mess, it's the worst state an England team has been in the professional-era, which is a sad reflection of the chaotic disharmonious environment Eddie produces:

"I've been frank from day one in saying there's a lot of work to do,” he said after the loss at Twickenham. "When I looked at the team in the autumn, when I got all the data for the team, we weren't good at anything..."

There's multiple areas that we have tried to change. You saw some improvement in the scrum, which I was pleased about, because it has been ranked as the worst scrum in Tier One rugby [in 2022]"

Last edited:

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Yeah, there's no value in 2 sabbaticals for the Reds unless Rugby Australia covers the bulk of it and it's largely exempt from the cap. On a contract through 2027 that would only get them two reduced load seasons (25 Lions tour, 27 World cup). Any cap burden in that and squad management becomes impossible with this big chunk fluctuating in and out of the available spend, let alone the straight cost of it.
do we really think he has the durability to be around in 4/5 years with the same impact as he does now? For mine he has a 2 to 3 year of high perfromance.

Tex

John Thornett (49)

Tangent but there's a cool doco called "Big In Japan", details westerners who develop cult status over there.

Taniela could become bigger than godzilla if he plays it right, and that's got absolutely nothing to do with his on field prowess.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
To be fair, you can't expect Borthwick to work miracles overnight, Eddie left the team in a utter diabolical mess, it's the worst state an England team has been in the professional-era, which is a sad reflection of the chaotic disharmonious environment Eddie produces:

"I've been frank from day one in saying there's a lot of work to do,” he said after the loss at Twickenham. "When I looked at the team in the autumn, when I got all the data for the team, we weren't good at anything..."

There's multiple areas that we have tried to change. You saw some improvement in the scrum, which I was pleased about, because it has been ranked as the worst scrum in Tier One rugby [in 2022]"
So, were Australia just unlucky to lose a series to an England who "weren't good at anything" back in June? Or were they good at things back then and dropped the bundle in 5 months?

Surely it's not just all Eddie?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
do we really think he has the durability to be around in 4/5 years with the same impact as he does now? For mine he has a 2 to 3 year of high perfromance.

The benefit Tupou has is that he's in a position where he's not expected to keep up his current work rate for the length of his career.

Once he starts to lose some of that explosiveness, you'd hope he starts moving his attention towards the more technical aspects of propping.

There have been far less talented props who've gone on to have careers well into their 30s.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
The benefit Tupou has is that he's in a position where he's not expected to keep up his current work rate for the length of his career.

Once he starts to lose some of that explosiveness, you'd hope he starts moving his attention towards the more technical aspects of propping.

There have been far less talented props who've gone on to have careers well into their 30s.
The issue is that the game is evolving rapidly and what we expect props to do now is markedly different to other eras. There will always be the new kids coming in with more speed, more size, more skills and bigger work rates that will entice the selectors.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The issue is that the game is evolving rapidly and what we expect props to do now is markedly different to other eras. There will always be the new kids coming in with more speed, more size, more skills and bigger work rates that will entice the selectors.
Very few props are expected to produce the explosive efforts Tupou is though, but most are expected to counter that with higher work rate and accuracy. The game evolves all the time but I don’t think we are suddenly going to see a bunch of props with Tupou’s power & Ala'alatoa’s work rate.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not sure we'll someone of Tupou's size and skillset for a while tbh. Provided he stays reasonably healthy, he'll be impactful for as long as he keeps playing.