• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
His problem will be that Max Jorgenson will be a better Fullback than Harrison IMO
I expect they might be keen to let Jorgenson play a bit of U20s/club when Pietsch is back and avoid over working him in his first year. You can see it already in the precautions they took with him this weekend.

That said I still think Harrison has the highest ceiling of the three tahs at 10 and I think Edmed has just opened the door for him. A lot will come down to Donaldson v Harrison for that spot over the next few weeks.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I agree. I should have said I think long term Max will the the 15 and that could be from next year and I don’t see too many challenging him for it all going well.
I feel they may still manage him a bit next year given how young he is but broadly I agree.

He's the only actual fullback in the squad and he's had as good a start to the season as you could imagine so it's all there for him. Only way he wouldn't would be if they went and signed someone like Maddocks, but I can't see them spending their money there. Maybe an NRL convert will complicate things, but they'd likely still start out as a winger to find their feet.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Flyhalf
We are yet to see much from last year's main stays - Lolesio and JOC (James O'Connor). I'm ignoring Quade (and Foley) who doesn't play in Super even if fit. When Noah and James start seeing more game time this conversation will have a bit more reality behind it. For now, it would be surprising if either Hegarty or Debreczeni was to make their way into a starting XV for the Wallabies. I'm not dismissing either, great players, certainly at Super. It would just seem a stretch to be nominating them.

Tom Lynagh is pretty much everything at this point that the most discerning Reds fans wanted. For a teenager with two games under his belt. If he makes the squad you'd imagine it would be a developmental role. But who knows with the season still in front of us, and with injury anything goes. On another front, we've barely seen Will Harrison so nothing much to discuss there.

This leaves the discussion pretty much with Edmed, Donaldson and Gordon. And Edmed has been playing 10 where Donaldson hasn't. The thinking seems to be that Donaldson its better and offered more versatility so is "Mis"-positioned at 15 leaving Edmed at 10. Edmed is taking a heap of criticism which seems strange to me. Donaldson has been playing well, mostly, but surely needs to be at 10 if he is to challenge nationally.

And it leaves us with Carter Gordon. By default he would be the best 10 at the moment, but as it happens he is playing down the house. So the top two right now are, Gordon followed by Edmed (queue the Edmed knockers).

We are all going to be watching cautiously as to how Quade pulls up. Foley can't be written out either, but probably only if Quade is a no go. But mostly right now, we need to see JOC (James O'Connor) and Lolesio. A couple of games from them will either remove speculation about Gordon, or sheet him home in the 10 jumper.

I can't remember a time when we had so many names to discuss for flyhalf. Pity it didn't happen 12 months earlier, but the Wallabies stocks at flyhallf are looking pretty good.

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Flyhalf
We are yet to see much from last year's main stays - Lolesio and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). I'm ignoring Quade (and Foley) who doesn't play in Super even if fit. When Noah and James start seeing more game time this conversation will have a bit more reality behind it. For now, it would be surprising if either Hegarty or Debreczeni was to make their way into a starting XV for the Wallabies. I'm not dismissing either, great players, certainly at Super. It would just seem a stretch to be nominating them.

Tom Lynagh is pretty much everything at this point that the most discerning Reds fans wanted. For a teenager with two games under his belt. If he makes the squad you'd imagine it would be a developmental role. But who knows with the season still in front of us, and with injury anything goes. On another front, we've barely seen Will Harrison so nothing much to discuss there.

This leaves the discussion pretty much with Edmed, Donaldson and Gordon. And Edmed has been playing 10 where Donaldson hasn't. The thinking seems to be that Donaldson its better and offered more versatility so is "Mis"-positioned at 15 leaving Edmed at 10. Edmed is taking a heap criticism which seems strange to me. Donaldson has been playing well, mostly, but surely needs to be at 10 if he is to challenge nationally.

And it leaves us with Carter Gordon. By default he would be the best 10 at the moment, but as it happens he is playing down the house. So the top two right now, Gordon followed by Edmed (queue the Edmed knockers).

We are all going to be watching cautiously as to how Quade pulls up. Foley can't be written out either, but probably only if Quade is a no go. But mostly right now, we need to see JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Lolesio. A couple of games from them will either remove speculation about Gordon, or sheet him home in the 10 jumper.

I can't remember a time when we had so many names to discuss for flyhalf. Pity it didn't happen 12 months earlier, but the Wallabies stocks at flyhallf are looking pretty good.
Good summation Dru. A point though would be how would, Gordon, Lolesio, Edmed, JOC (James O'Connor) and Lynagh go playing out of position at 15? Or Quade and Foley for that matter? Hegarty and Debreczini can play 15 ok but not in Wallaby contention I wouldn’t think. Donaldson is in an unlucky position to press his claims I feel, as he is a very good young natural 10 but unable to compete against the others so far in his rightful position.

Last edited:

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Flyhalf
We are yet to see much from last year's main stays - Lolesio and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor). I'm ignoring Quade (and Foley) who doesn't play in Super even if fit. When Noah and James start seeing more game time this conversation will have a bit more reality behind it. For now, it would be surprising if either Hegarty or Debreczeni was to make their way into a starting XV for the Wallabies. I'm not dismissing either, great players, certainly at Super. It would just seem a stretch to be nominating them.

This leaves the discussion pretty much with Edmed, Donaldson and Gordon. And Edmed has been playing 10 where Donaldson hasn't. The thinking seems to be that Donaldson its better and offered more versatility so is "Mis"-positioned at 15 leaving Edmed at 10. Edmed is taking a heap criticism which seems strange to me. Donaldson has been playing well, mostly, but surely needs to be at 10 if he is to challenge nationally.

And it leaves us with Carter Gordon. By default he would be the best 10 at the moment, but as it happens he is playing down the house. So the top two right now, Gordon followed by Edmed (queue the Edmed knockers).

We are all going to be watching cautiously as to how Quade pulls up. Foley can't be written out either, but probably only if Quade is a no go. But mostly right now, we need to see JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Lolesio. A couple of games from them will either remove speculation about Gordon, or sheet him home in the 10 jumper.

Gordon defends better than all of the candidates. With Kerevi and Ikitau at 12/13, they are a strong mid-field.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Gordon defends better than all of the candidates. With Kerevi and Ikitau at 12/13, they are a strong mid-field.

Something I had also been thinking - if Eddie decides to play a highly defensive/abrasive game, it could even bring Stewart into thinking at 10.
Good summation Dru. A point though would be how would, Gordon, Lolesio, Edmed, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Lynagh go playing out of position at 15? Or Quade and Foley for that matter? Hegarty and Debreczini can play 15 ok but not in Wallaby contention I wouldn’t think. Donaldson is in an unlucky position to press his claims I feel, as he is a very good young natural 10 but unable to compete against the others so far in his rightful position.

If we're looking for an affective defending utility back who can work at 10, along with Hodge, Stewart fits the bill here as well.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Something I had also been thinking - if Eddie decides to play a highly defensive/abrasive game, it could even bring Stewart into thinking at 10.

If we're looking for an affective defending utility back who can work at 10, along with Hodge, Stewart fits the bill here as well.
Has Stewart played a single game in the 10 jersey since his days with the junior wallabies?

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

With all due respect Dru, Stewart is no chance as a Wallaby 10 imho. Don’t understand the logic of a defensive’ 10? Quade Cooper our best, is not a great defender. You want a 10 to challenge the defence and get the ball to his backline and create opportunities that score tries. Stewart is a 12 and his old team didn’t need him last week!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Has Stewart played a single game in the 10 jersey since his days with the junior wallabies?

Of course he has. He was the only 10 at the Reds for ages.

For my money, in that role he didn't display the sort of gameplay I like to see in a 10, but his D and ruck work was astonishing. His kicking in play was fine. And his distribution was OK. I can't say whether he played like that because it is his nature, or it was how Thorn wanted to play. Stewart is not my first choice at 10, largely because that style of rugby, not exactly 10 man rugby but a defensive derivative of it, doesn't excite me.

But Stewart certainly plays 10 and can be a fabulous utility (more focus on the inner backs).

With all due respect Dru, Stewart is no chance as a Wallaby 10 imho. Don’t understand the logic of a defensive’ 10? Quade Cooper our best, is not a great defender. You want a 10 to challenge the defence and get the ball to his backline and create opportunities that score tries. Stewart is a 12 and his old team didn’t need him last week!

Agree with that. But it depends on how you want to play. There is more call for defensive thinking at international level. More likely though is thinking about Stewart at 22/23.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Stewart hasn’t even been able to lock down the 10 jersey at the Force, which is one of the rumoured reasons as to why he went there. He’s no chance as the Wallabies 10.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah I agree. Have always liked Stewart but Noah Lolesio was a 12 and he’s in front of Stewart.

Carter Gordon is the man. Eddie will have him pencilled in.

JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper and Foley are yesterday’s men. Have had their chances but past it now. I think Hooper looked past it last night too. Age shall weary.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Rodha's 33-man World Cup squad:

Zane N, Bell, AAA, Tupou, Slipper, Pone F.

Porecki, Latu, BPA.

Rodda, Phillip, Skelton, Hosea.

Frost, T.Hooper, Gleeson, Gamble, Valentini.

White, McDermott, Lonergan.

Gordon, Cooper, O'Connor.

Kerevi, Ikitau, Foketi, Petaia, Kellaway (best 13 option in Aus behind Ikitau).

Koroibete, Vunivalu, Wright, Marky Nawa.....

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Dru, I like your take on the other prospective No 10s, but I really think you're off the mark considering Hamish there. He couldn't get a run at 10 for the Reds and left for the Force on the proviso (apparently) that he would play 10. But of course he isn't there either. Hamish imo is a passable Super player, not top level and hardly what I'd consider a decent prospect at Wallaby level.

Interesting, it seems that Donaldson is getting better at 10 every game he plays at 15. Funny that. ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru, I like your take on the other prospective No 10s, but I really think you're off the mark considering Hamish there. He couldn't get a run at 10 for the Reds and left for the Force on the proviso (apparently) that he would play 10. But of course he isn't there either. Hamish imo is a passable Super player, not top level and hardly what I'd consider a decent prospect at Wallaby level.

Interesting, it seems that Donaldson is getting better at 10 every game he plays at 15. Funny that. ;)

BR - can only say that general opinion is with you on Hamish.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
A slightly controversial comment but I am expecting to see Edmed and maybe Lolesio (due to his U20 time) be moved to 12. Eddie loves a 2nd playmaker at inside centre and looking around Super Rugby Aus there isn't that type of player at 12 with exception of maybe Henry. I am not a fan of moving players positional around but personally can see both these two thriving in this position, similar to Giteau. Obviously won't happen this season but post RWC 23.

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
I wasn't clear, not suggesting Edmed at 12 for Wallabies now but suspect post RWC he could be moved there for Waratahs following input from EJ (Eddie Jones).