• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Anyways, some glowing analysis of Nick Frost from the weekend...

Frost has also taken over running the Brumbies' lineout for the first time ever while Swain rides the bench, contributing to some of the second half lineout woes from the weekend.

Anything possible should be done immediately to make sure he stays forever in Aus. He is an absolute freak.

I wasn’t on board with him playing at 6 initially but I’m now shovelling coal into the furnace on this idea.

His workrate, speed and athleticism are absurd from someone that big, and if he moved to the back row it allows us to play some real rock shifters in the row and let Frost play a looser game that he is so obviously suited to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His workrate, speed and athleticism are absurd from someone that big, and if he moved to the back row it allows us to play some real rock shifters in the row and let Frost play a looser game that he is so obviously suited to.

I'm not sure I'm in on that idea. At 6 he might be taller and a bit bigger than his competitors but he's not super fast and athletic as a 6.

At lock he's plenty big enough plus he's got all the upside of being faster and more athletic than the average test lock.

Now maybe if you wanted to start Skelton and Swain/Neville at lock then Frost looks reasonable at 6 because of what it adds to the lineout but I think I'd err on Frost and two of Skelton/Swain/Neville at lock so we can have a more dynamic backrow.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I’d suggest reading those articles Nick Bishop posted, and re-watching the games against the Tahs and Blues.
He was chasing down some of the fastest Blues’ backs after a break around 70mins, and at one point he was the only Brumby fast enough to chase after a kick for the corner and put pressure on Barrett.

I wasn’t convinced until the last couple of weeks but I am now.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not sure I'm in on that idea. At 6 he might be taller and a bit bigger than his competitors but he's not super fast and athletic as a 6.

At lock he's plenty big enough plus he's got all the upside of being faster and more athletic than the average test lock.

Now maybe if you wanted to start Skelton and Swain/Neville at lock then Frost looks reasonable at 6 because of what it adds to the lineout but I think I'd err on Frost and two of Skelton/Swain/Neville at lock so we can have a more dynamic backrow.
He seems to be extremely fast in a straight line for a lock/6. But if you mean around the park generally, yeah.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’m well aboard with a Skelton and Frost at 6 combination. I think that’s a perfect foil for Skelton.

I’m liking the look of

4. Skelton 5. TBA 6. Frost 7. Hooper 8. Valetini

19. TBA 20. Gleeson

a lot. I’m not sold on any of the current non-injured locks, I think I’d prefer Phillip and Rodda but also someone overseas but doubt Eddie gives them a look in.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I’m well aboard with a Skelton and Frost at 6 combination. I think that’s a perfect foil for Skelton.

I’m liking the look of

4. Skelton 5. TBA 6. Frost 7. Hooper 8. Valetini

19. TBA 20. Gleeson

a lot. I’m not sold on any of the current non-injured locks, I think I’d prefer Phillip and Rodda but also someone overseas but doubt Eddie gives them a look in.

At risk of bias accusations, in that model Swain would be 5, and Samu 19.
Swain is a beast in the maul and other than his brain fart against England last year (which really shouldn’t have happened as the Pom should have been carded for direct contact to the face), his discipline has generally been very good. That ugly clean out didn’t help, but from memory he’s usually been pretty disciplined for both Brumbies and Wallabies. Plus, he’s not coming off a long term injury before the WC.
Samu needs no explanation - he’s an excellent line out option, and his impact for 30mins off the bench is second to none.

I can’t remember the last time we had such depth of quality available in every part of the pack - 10 and 15 are the only positions we are unsettled in, but even there we have lots of quality options. Eddies challenge for those two is to pick the right horse and make sure whoever he picks gets enough gametime to feel confident and cohesive with everyone else.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Anything possible should be done immediately to make sure he stays forever in Aus. He is an absolute freak.

I wasn’t on board with him playing at 6 initially but I’m now shovelling coal into the furnace on this idea.

I would prefer locks to play lock generally

The 6's who can play lock are a different animal

If the argument is to have a backrower who is a decent lineout option to balance Skelton's selection, well, pick one of those

Frost is playing well enough to be a lock option - but this is March, let's see who is standing in June

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would prefer locks to play lock generally

The 6's who can play lock are a different animal

If the argument is to have a backrower who is a decent lineout option to balance Skelton's selection, well, pick one of those

Frost is playing well enough to be a lock option - but this is March, let's see who is standing in June

Garrick Morgan : exhibit 1. A good team would have a field day against us if we picked a lock at 6 again.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is a natural tendency to want to shift players who have above average traits in certain areas to other positions because they can hold their own there.

My take on it is that you are more likely to diminish the things that really make them stand out at their best position because you are putting them against players who are already expected to be superior at those things.

People have suggested Tupou could play number 8. In my view he'd be a number 8 that doesn't have the motor you expect from a number 8, has average ball skills for the position and is a decent ball runner. At prop he's an incredible ball runner, has great handling and passing skills and an excellent motor.

So with Frost, what do you gain more out of? Having a lock whose athleticism is off the charts for the position or a 6 whose athleticism is good but not outstanding and is a really good lineout practitioner. In my view it's keeping him at lock.