• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Eddie seems to be picking a training camp in April - no overseas based players

Who would not be available due to injury?

Hookers:
Props: Bell, Tupou
Locks: Rodda, Philip
BR: Leota
HB:
FH:
C:
OB: Kellaway
Hodge too. Kellaway should be returning in the next couple weeks but probably a bit late. Rebels can't catch a break with their 4 most capped Wallabies.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Wallabies are pleased to announce Neal Hatley as the side's new scrum coach.

The highly experienced Hatley is currently serving as Bath's Forwards Coach in the English Premiership and will join up with Eddie Jones and his staff in May.

A former prop who played 193 matches in the Premiership for Bath and Bedford, Hatley began his coaching career with London Irish's Academy in 2008.

He then returned to Bath in 2012 as forwards coach where he stayed for four years before joining Eddie Jones in the England set up, forming part of the coaching group that steered the side to the 2019 Rugby World Cup final in Japan.

Upon the completion of the tournament, Hatley re-joined Bath, taking on the head coach role for two years from 2020, before beginning his current role with the club.

The Wallabies can also confirm that David Rath will join the staffing group as Learning Coordinator.

Rath makes the move from St Kilda Football Club where he has held a number of roles in High Performance including Head of Football.

Before joining St Kilda, Rath was part of the Hawthorn Football Club's team staff which led the side to four AFL Premierships in 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Incoming Wallabies scrum coach Neal Hatley said: "I'm honoured to join Eddie and the Wallabies in what's a massive year with the World Cup just over five months away."

"While my focus is here with Bath at the moment, I know there's plenty of potential within the playing group in Australia and I'm looking forward to maximising that when I begin the role."

Wallabies coach Eddie Jones said: "It's great to have Neal and David on board with the Wallabies."

"Neal's a coach with a tremendous amount of experience and knows what's required to be successful at International level.

"David has worked with the best coaches in the AFL and will bring a skill set that will help aid or learning environment."

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
D647B000-546C-4EBF-95CA-395A2F4B7EE6.jpeg

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Wallabies are pleased to announce Neal Hatley as the side's new scrum coach.

The highly experienced Hatley is currently serving as Bath's Forwards Coach in the English Premiership and will join up with Eddie Jones and his staff in May.

A former prop who played 193 matches in the Premiership for Bath and Bedford, Hatley began his coaching career with London Irish's Academy in 2008.

He then returned to Bath in 2012 as forwards coach where he stayed for four years before joining Eddie Jones in the England set up, forming part of the coaching group that steered the side to the 2019 Rugby World Cup final in Japan.

Upon the completion of the tournament, Hatley re-joined Bath, taking on the head coach role for two years from 2020, before beginning his current role with the club.

The Wallabies can also confirm that David Rath will join the staffing group as Learning Coordinator.

Rath makes the move from St Kilda Football Club where he has held a number of roles in High Performance including Head of Football.

Before joining St Kilda, Rath was part of the Hawthorn Football Club's team staff which led the side to four AFL Premierships in 2008, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

Incoming Wallabies scrum coach Neal Hatley said: "I'm honoured to join Eddie and the Wallabies in what's a massive year with the World Cup just over five months away."

"While my focus is here with Bath at the moment, I know there's plenty of potential within the playing group in Australia and I'm looking forward to maximising that when I begin the role."

Wallabies coach Eddie Jones said: "It's great to have Neal and David on board with the Wallabies."

"Neal's a coach with a tremendous amount of experience and knows what's required to be successful at International level.

"David has worked with the best coaches in the AFL and will bring a skill set that will help aid or learning environment."
Pretty strong resume for both Hatley and Rath - anyone got further wraps on either?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
yeah, I must say, it's the oddest international coaching team I've seen for some time. Smacks of desperation.

And this was always the risk in dumping Rennie prior to the RWC...

Are these assistants on long term contracts, or is Eddie going to be able to make improvements when there's more coaches on the market next year?

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Both pretty important re-signings. Nawaqanitawase for obvious reasons.

But Wright I'm quietly optimistic about. I think he has a really high ceiling. Unteachable pace and fuck ups that are definitely possible to remove. He's only 25. Could be reliably excellent by next RWC.
As much as a lot of people all s**t on Wright, he's not terrible - just needs to work out the stuff ups

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
So it's

Eddie (God)
Brett Hodgson (Attempted Tackling) bonus points for Rugby League
Scott Wisemantle (WFH and draw some plays on MS Paint and send them in)
Berrick Barnes (Kicking, Skills & Concussions) bonus points for Rugby League
Neal Hatley (Sounds like an Eddie yes man)
David Rath (The Wallabies don't do learning)

Is there a Forwards coach or is Eddie going to do this?

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
But Wright I'm quietly optimistic about. I think he has a really high ceiling. Unteachable pace and fuck ups that are definitely possible to remove. He's only 25. Could be reliably excellent by next RWC.
Get absolutely fucked - the bloke wouldn't have been ID'd at the bottle-o for 10 years

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
As much as a lot of people all s**t on Wright, he's not terrible - just needs to work out the stuff ups
He's pulled some off this back I think as well. He was good for 2/3 real classic Tom Wright moments a game but it's been less so far this year. It's hard because his brilliant moments come from his confidence to have a crack to beat someone and when he does it's great but when it doesn't come off he leaves the team stuffed in their own half

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
And this was always the risk in dumping Rennie prior to the RWC...

Are these assistants on long term contracts, or is Eddie going to be able to make improvements when there's more coaches on the market next year?
didn't all the assistants leave before Rennie though? Hopefully the latter in any case....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
didn't all the assistants leave before Rennie though? Hopefully the latter in any case....

Nah, you're right... everyone except for Laurie left (McKellar having since revealed he would've taken the Leicester gig regardless).

I know that Eddie wanted a defence coach with a league background, but I wonder if he should've retained Laurie short term to look after the forwards?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nah, you're right... everyone except for Laurie left (McKellar having since revealed he would've taken the Leicester gig regardless).

I know that Eddie wanted a defence coach with a league background, but I wonder if he should've retained Laurie short term to look after the forwards?
I read somewhere that Laurie had said he wanted to go back to the Brumbies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm astonished that Eddie hasn't retained Lord as his forwards coach.

Local, already in the system so has detailed knowledge of each forward's strengths/weaknesses etc