• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Eddie is set to announce his 33 person squad soon, here's my preliminary crack at it. Assuming he's not including any injured players at all purely fit, Aus based players.

Hookers (3): Longeran, Latu, Porecki
Props (5): Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Gibbon, Fa'amausili, Johnson-Holmes
Locks (4): Swain, Neville, Frost, Holloway
Backrow (5): Valetini, Samu, Hooper, Wilkin, Gleeson (assuming he's semi fit)
Halfback (3): White, McDermott, Longeran
Flyhalf (3): Lolesio, Gordon, O'Connor
Centres (4): Ikitau, Foketi, Perese, Flook
Outside backs (6): Petaia, Vunivalu, Nawaqanitawase, Wright, Toole, Hodge

Not considered due to injury: Tupou, Jones, Rodda, Bell, Harrison, Philip, Leota, Kellaway

Not sure about Hodge with his finger, or will he want Kellaway who is near return. Toole's pace is impossible to ignore and he's stated he wants to see Vunivalu though I expect neither will go to France.

Backrow is the most contested. Wilkin is my biased pick there, he'll probably play safe and take McReight. Waratahs could deliver the entire Wallabies backrow with Hanigan, Gamble and Swinton not selected.

With hookers, I don't think he'll be able to go past Latu's strength game. Mafi, Fainga'a also in with a shout.
Feels heavy on backs and light on forwards overall, particularly if Cooper, Kerevi and Koroibete are all considered close to certain for the final squad. Probably drop a centre given the cover from the outside backs (Perese on form). Maybe an outside back too though it's not as clear who. Bring in at least one back row (Wright/Mcreight/Wilson) and arguably a lock though no one else is really standing out there, so it might end up being two backrow players in that case or Hanigan as a bit of both.

Not sure about your tahs could deliver the whole backrow point, I don't think Swinton or Harris are anywhere near the squad on form, though they did have better game this past weekend.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He's going to mix things up.

And pick 45

Hooker - Lonergan, Mafi, Fainga'a
LHP - Gibbon, Lambert, Robertson, Slipper
THP - Pone, AAA, Nonggorr, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Lock - Smith, Holloway, Frost, Neville, Swain, Hosea
Big Backrow - Valetini, Wright, Anstee, Gleeson, Wilson
OSF - Hooper, Wilkin, McReight, Scott

SH - Lonergan, McDermott, White
FH - Gordon, JOC (James O'Connor), Lynagh, Loloesio,
Centres - Stewart, Henry, Flook, Perese, Ikitau, Walton
Back THree - Vunivalu, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), Toole, Jorgensen, Petaia, Wright,

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Ok, I've trimmed 10.

ooker - Lonergan, Mafi, Fainga'a
THP - Pone, AAA, Nonggorr, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes)

FH - Gordon, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Lynagh, Loloesio,
Back THree - Vunivalu, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), Toole, Jorgensen, Petaia, Wright,

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reg, imo:

Gibbon > Lambert and =/> Robertson;
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) > Nonggorr;
Lolesio > Lynagh
Henry and Perese > Stewart.

Otherwise I don't mind that squad at all. Particularly like the inclusion of Anstee, Gordon, Toole and Jorgenson.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
Eddie is set to announce his 33 person squad soon, here's my preliminary crack at it. Assuming he's not including any injured players at all purely fit, Aus based players.

Hookers (3): Longeran, Latu, Porecki
Props (5): Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Gibbon, Fa'amausili, Johnson-Holmes
Locks (4): Swain, Neville, Frost, Holloway
Backrow (5): Valetini, Samu, Hooper, Wilkin, Gleeson (assuming he's semi fit)
Halfback (3): White, McDermott, Longeran
Centres (4): Ikitau, Foketi, Perese, Flook
Outside backs (6): Petaia, Vunivalu, Nawaqanitawase, Wright, Toole, Hodge

Not considered due to injury: Tupou, Jones, Paisami, Rodda, Bell, Harrison, Philip, Leota, Kellaway

Not sure about Hodge with his finger, or will he want Kellaway who is near return. Toole's pace is impossible to ignore and he's stated he wants to see Vunivalu though I expect neither will go to France.

Backrow is the most contested. Wilkin is my biased pick there, he'll probably play safe and take McReight. Waratahs could deliver the entire Wallabies backrow with Hanigan, Gamble and Swinton not selected.

With hookers, I don't think he'll be able to go past Latu's strength game. Mafi, Fainga'a also in with a shout.

Following your lead, here is my 34 man squad comprised of fit / healthy with no overseas picks for the April camp:

Hookers (3): Porecki, Latu, Lonergan
Props (6): Slipper, Gibbon, Robertson, Alaalaatoa, Talakai, Fa’amausili
Second Row (4): Frost, Neville, Swain, Holloway
Backrow (6): Valetini, Samu, Hooper, McReight, Gleeson, Wilson
Halfback (3): White, Lonergan, McDermott
Centres (3): Foketi, Ikitau, Flook
Outside Backs (6): Wright, Nawaqanitawase, Toole, Kellaway, Vunivalu, Petaia

Not considered due to injury: Phillip, Rodda, Leota, Bell, Tupou, Paisami

Unlucky: Wilkin, L. Wright, Perese, Fainga'a, Mafi

Here is my 33 man squad for the RWC assuming 4 overseas picks and everyone fit and healthy

Hookers (3): Porecki, Latu, Lonergan
Props (6): Slipper, Gibbon, Bell, Alaalaatoa, Tupou, Fa’amausili
Second Row (3): Frost, Rodda, Skelton,
Backrow (6): Valetini, Samu, Hooper, McReight, Gleeson, Holloway (covering 2nd row)
Halfback (3): White, Lonergan, McDermott
Flyhalf (4): Cooper, Lolesio (Gordon if successfully trialed in Rugby Champ),
Centres (4): Foketi, Ikitau, Kerevi, Hodge (cover 10)
Outside Backs (5): Wright, Nawaqanitawase, Koroibete, Kellaway, Petaia

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
An Eddie podcast stressed the importance of combinations in the team. Knowing if the selections are based on key o/s players (QC (Quade Cooper), Kerevi, Koroibete, Skelton), then use the best options around them. You wouldn’t expect to have R.Lonergan, C.Gordon, Toole, Stewart, Flook, Muirhead and Jorgensen lined up in the starting team. It would be boys vs men. Throw in a couple of the Giteau players and that might make some sense.

Actually Gordon and Stewart are probably the best backline tacklers in the country so I might think about that a bit more.

Last edited:

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Ok, I've trimmed 10.

ooker - Lonergan, Mafi, Fainga'a
THP - Pone, AAA, Nonggorr, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes)

FH - Gordon, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Lynagh, Loloesio,
Back THree - Vunivalu, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), Toole, Jorgensen, Petaia, Wright,
That’s the one.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
An Eddie podcast stressed the importance of combinations in the team. Knowing if the selections are based on key o/s players (QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper), Kerevi, Koroibete, Skelton), then use the best options around them. You wouldn’t expect to have R.Lonergan, C.Gordon, Toole, Stewart, Flook, Muirhead and Jorgensen lined up in the starting team. It would be boys vs men. Throw in a couple of the Giteau players and that might make some sense.

Actually Gordon and Stewart are probably the best backline tacklers in the country so I might think about that a bit more.

No, he didn't. He acknowledged the impact of combinations while laughing at the obvious commentator for spruiking the bleeding obvious. Eddie never accepted it as a demanded requirement for his team selections. My interpretation was that it might be a final issue if everything else was equal, after pretty much saying that in selection everything else was not equal.