• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
They canned the Eddie podcast just as it was about to get properly interesting. Lame.
To be fair, Eddie's co-host turned it from a 'podcast' to just a weekly interview with Eddie. I never found it to be conversational, more Eddie just replying to questions.

You'd be better off getting Eddie to chat to Turuni or Kimber. I think that'd be a more engaging 30-40 minutes.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Another nobody. Very uninspiring, maybe he could be useful to tell Eddie about Staniforth
So the current coaching team for the Wallabies is;

HC/Attack: Eddie Jones
Consultant (Attack): Scott Wisemantel
Skills & ?: Berrick Barnes
Maul & ?: Pierre Henry Broncan
Lineout (& Scrum?): Dan Palmer
Forwards: Neal Hatley
Defence: Brett Hodgson

.... have I missed anyone?

1682037005426.png

Eddie Jones
1682037083797.png

Scott Wisemantel
1682037112025.png

Berrick Barnes
1682037153110.png

Pierre Henry Broncan
1682037217521.png

Dan Palmer
1682037244184.png

Neal Hatley
1682037278009.png

Brett Hodgson

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Jaral Skelton couldn’t crack it for a game at the Rebels and just made a strong start to his NRL career. Not sure that no rugby backs would make it in league

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
to be fair he killed it in 7s and his last year at 15s, he was unstoppable at club level.
Feels like a lost one for Rugby. Lockie Miller doing well for the Knights but played League until he was spotted by Rugby 7s
Yes, Izzy Katoa has just gone from Sydney schoolboy rugby straight into NRL.
Same thing. League through and through. Was dominating for Penrith lower grades while playing school boy rugby. Only at the school because of league. Not really lost by Rugby.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I respect the double down as delusional as it may be
Actually, if he trains like a League player is gonna lose some weight, they run more kilometers in training than rugby players. As if he trains like a 7s player all the year. So I think could be play at the forward pack or even as a wrecking ball centre over there

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
It's funny because Sua'ali'i would have commanded similar money in the NRL, maybe the Roosters wouldn't have paid him, but another team likely would have.

No current Wallaby backs would get a sniff of that sort of cash in the NRL. And by current Wallaby backs I mean those playing in Super Rugby who are the ones I assume making a fuss. Kerevi might get paid in the NRL.
I think there is little chance he would have been offered 1.6 - 1.8 mil in League. Even a desperate club overpaying would be lucky to hit a million for him. He hasn't established himself yet and definitely not as a fullback which is his only chance to earn a million. Considering Cleary is the highest paid at 1.3 mil no chance an NRL club pays 1.6 for Sua'ali'i

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Could have said exactly the same about Sua'ali'i before he signed.
That's just not true lol. Katoa and his family moved to Sydney to support his brother playing in the NRL. It was clear he had ambitions to play in the NRL whether he played for Barker or not. Sua'ali'i played for Eastwood in his junior years... It is not the same scenario.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think there is little chance he would have been offered 1.6 - 1.8 mil in League. Even a desperate club overpaying would be lucky to hit a million for him. He hasn't established himself yet and definitely not as a fullback which is his only chance to earn a million. Considering Cleary is the highest paid at 1.3 mil no chance an NRL club pays 1.6 for Sua'ali'i
You've got to remember this contract doesn't start until 2025. Ponga is on 1.4 mil this year. Mitch Moses was offered 1.4 mil to go to the Tigers next year.

Not sure, how much league you watch but he has certainly established himself as a star with all the right attributes for a quality fullback, only reason he doesn't play there at the Rooster is because they happen to have the Australian captain playing there. He tore it up for Samoa at fullback at the World Cup. At 19 years old I don't think it is inconceivable a battler NRL club tried to nab him for well over 1 mil/year for 2025

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
to be fair he killed it in 7s and his last year at 15s, he was unstoppable at club level.
Yeah I had high hopes for him. Just didn’t work out because of his knee.

Also he was a back rower when we recruited him so between learning a new role and the reco he was up against it