• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Well that's not a great admission right now is it? Considering how things were building so very nicely under Rennie. McLennan spat the dummy I would suggest, see the problem with Eddie Jones, he's the type of coach who comes in to detonate everything and start all over again, unfortunately a 'great reset' was the last thing this team needed. They needed alignment and continuity going into 2023. All the structures and systems that Rennie had bedded-in over the last 3 years were showing us very promising pictures indeed.

C team beating Wales and coming within 1 point of France and Ireland, number 1 & 2 in the world respectively. Fisher was a huge loss, the Wallabies under Rennie/Fisher looked like genuine world cup contenders with an injury plagued team during the latter half of 2022 - toppled South Africa in Adelaide, oversaw three incredibly heroic fighting single point losses to rugby heavy-weights NZ, Ireland and France - and you could argue they were lost due to officiating error.
Rennie losing for 3 years = “Building nicely”

Eddie losing 2 games = “Has no clue”

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ever since you’ve joined this forum you’ve been pretty quick to criticise but sensitive yourself.

If you understood anything about backline players you’d realize that he doesn’t have the awareness (both defensive and with his options in attack) nor attacking style (tendency to try and always go outside players) to play outside centre at the highest level. He‘s a good talent and suited to wing and potentially eventually 15.

Looking forward to hearing more analysis from the 1960s like ‘they need more mongrel and hit more rucks’.
Oh! how wrong you are. I'm glad you replied, eventually, as I had a thought about you, and many like you, who are all schooled in social media and just passive-aggressive. You love to have a little nibble but are thin-skinned. Where did you play the game?

Let's just wait and see whether the old rugby head or you are right regarding Marky. I have no sensitive skin in the game.

BTW our society moves forward on argumentative debate and if that ain't there chaos arises.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
This loss of Ikitau is a big problem as he has been the glue in some pretty average backlines over the last few years. I am unsure of a decent road forward to give us a chance against the AB's, (which I think we have). Perese has been tried and apart from some hard tackling hasn't shown much.
I suspect Flook might get a chance following his Aus A game. No Marky for 13 - I'm sorry to say.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This loss of Ikitau is a big problem as he has been the glue in some pretty average backlines over the last few years. I am unsure of a decent road forward to give us a chance against the AB's, (which I think we have). Perese has been tried and apart from some hard tackling hasn't shown much.
I suspect Flook might get a chance following his Aus A game. No Marky for 13 - I'm sorry to say.

I don't think Kerevi is a good 13, but he is great at 12

Is Perese even healthy? I think it is more likely that Hodge will slot in at 13 and Walton may get called up to the big boy squad

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Is Perese even healthy? I think it is more likely that Hodge will slot in at 13 and Walton may get called up to the big boy squad
That's interesting, I haven't seen much of him. I have heard him talked about as a great prospect but what is it that makes you think he will get a call?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We need to keep Kerevi at 12 and then either play Perese or Petaia outside him. Kellaway should come into consideration at 15 if fit.
Kerevi is a world class 12 and just OK elsewhere.
I’d prefer Petaia or Flook but Perese might be OK.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Perese has been training in the main squad so guess he is healthy and above Flook & Walton in the pecking order.

Flook outdid Walton when he came on. Paisami also a chance of a call up/return.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
On twitter today:

1689562636565.png

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Thinking about locks make up for the RWC. From the two matches and the Tonga game, we had:
SA: Frost played the full 80 with Skelton being subbed for Arnold at 52'.
Argentina: Arnold played the full 80 (with 10 on the naughty chair), Skelton was subbed for Philip at 55' (neither Leota nor Holloway moved to the 2nd row)
Tonga: Salakai-Loto and Neville started with Hanigan on the bench.

Assuming we're taking 4. Skelton is guaranteed. As is Arnold, not that I think he should be guaranteed. You'd think Frost is too after playing 80 in the first match. I was impressed with Philip's cameo, note he was originally in the rehab squad (as was Bell and Kerevi meaning at least 4 players need to be cut from the current 37 man squad with more to come from Petaia, Tupou and Kellaway's return).

Looks slim chances for others to push in now, with Holloway and Leota able to cover the row against Portugal. Neville I assume will be injury cover, Swain is no where to be sighted.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think it will be Frost, Skelton, Arnold and Philip. Frost and Skelton you'd think are absolute certainties.
Yep agree with this and then out of the hybrids (Holloway, Hanigan, Leota, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)) how many of them do you need? Just 2 I would say which would be Holloway and Leota.

Gonna be some tough calls in the backrow as well (M Hooper, Mcreight, Samu, Gleeson, Kemeny, T Hooper) A couple of them will need to miss out, hopefully Gleeson gets a chance to impress but would be risky to now bring back in to play All Blacks.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep agree with this and then out of the hybrids (Holloway, Hanigan, Leota, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)) how many of them do you need? Just 2 I would say which would be Holloway and Leota.

Gonna be some tough calls in the backrow as well (M Hooper, Mcreight, Samu, Gleeson, Kemeny, T Hooper) A couple of them will need to miss out, hopefully Gleeson gets a chance to impress but would be risky to now bring back in to play All Blacks.

Holloway and Leota, definitely.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). Should stay on the wing for now. In time maybe he can look at 13 or 15, but for now he should bed himself in as an international wing. Between he and MK we have all that we need. Throw in Kellaway or Petaia at 15 and that is a very decent looking back 3.
I have to say it and I know it will cause all sorts of bile to aimed in this direction, but Koroibete with one tackle in a game where the Wallabies had to make 200 to Argentina's 80, just perfectly illustrates to me his lack of involvement in this game. He looks like an exocet missile, flying through the air, but his guidance systems were destroyed in this game.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I have to say it and I know it will cause all sorts of bile to aimed in this direction, but Koroibete with one tackle in a game where the Wallabies had to make 200 to Argentina's 80, just perfectly illustrfates to me his lack of involvement in this game.
mhmm amen brother, glad someone has the courage to point out that free loader. Surely Marika can't make the RWC squad, consistently underperforms, Muirhead perhaps to replace him? Toole?