• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He definitely did but seems to have walked it back. Promising, probably saw Ikitau digging into a croc burger in Darwin.
Apologies Slim, seems I was thinking of Tom Decent's article in the SMH. Which yes, isn't savant Doran but still sounds trustworthy.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Apologies Slim, seems I was thinking of Tom Decent's article in the SMH. Which yes, isn't savant Doran but still sounds trustworthy.
Given the players have all been told who is in and out it's not surprising that leaks are coming thick and fast. I feel like those exclusions in particular are very trustworthy, the potential inclusion seem to be a bit more fluid and for the guys outside of the squad could just as easily be guys in the 5 extras or on standby for the world cup

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
He signed a 5 Year deal for a reason. Feels good to think they actually might have a plan that doesn't include scouring the Japanese 2nd Division for past their best former players to save them

Amen TT.

Rennie had a win now approach. He knew the wobs didn’t have the depth so he campaigned to bring back more veteran players… it’s not like the extended giteau law equated to more wins.

Eddie is thinking big picture… all the giteau law players (exc foley) all got a run and they all performed sub-par.

Sending the youth to France is a win/win… we either lose and can use this as valuable experience for next campaign or the unknowns of Aus rugby youth will perform a masterclass all our opponents who didn’t take the wallabies seriously and watch the tape of the relatively unknown rookies Eddie is compiling.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Hearing O'Connor is on the plane to Darwin. Not clear if it is as part of the squad or as one of the 5ish extras.

I’d rather O’Connor over Quade for veteran utility ourside back.

Will cover more positions and has played a better level of footy the last couple years (super rugby > Japan leagues)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think leaving out injured players is a tactic by Eddie to have a full squad available for the entire tournament. Let the injured players get healthy then drop players from the squad. It basically means you have an expanded squad for the tournament. Look it sucks to be those guys who then drop out but it is a smart tactic if you ask me

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1691633652405.png

I know RA have fuck all money but surely we could’ve found some cash to get Richie at least an exit row.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think leaving out injured players is a tactic by Eddie to have a full squad available for the entire tournament. Let the injured players get healthy then drop players from the squad. It basically means you have an expanded squad for the tournament. Look it sucks to be those guys who then drop out but it is a smart tactic if you ask me
I think it's what the Saffas are doing with De Jagger, Am and Pollard.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Putting aside the relative merits of Donaldson and Cooper, I find it so strange that Eddie has gone with someone who hasn't played a minute of test rugby this year.

Surely if he even has an inkling that he might want Donaldson, he throws him in off the bench against the Argies?
He couldn't do that, he would have had to give him some minutes and expose him as a failure.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah, I don't want to see Eddie going down the path of bullshit "strategic" injuries to change players in the squad. Leave that to Rassie.
You would only hope the World rugby would be aware of the possibility and have a independent doctor accessing players who are getting dropped from the squad in questionable circumstances.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I don't want to see Eddie going down the path of bullshit "strategic" injuries to change players in the squad. Leave that to Rassie.
Given our injury history the last few years I don't think head need any bullshit injuries to change up the squad, they'll happen whether he wants them to or not.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm now thinking

Props - Bell, Slipper, Schoupp, Tupou, Pone, Zane
Hookers - Porecki, Uelese, Faesslar
Second Row - Arnold, Phillip, Frost, Skelton
Backrow - Gleeson, Valentini, McReight, T Hooper, Samu, Leota
Halfback - White, McDermott, Lonergan
Flyhalf - Gordon, Donaldson
Centre - Kerevi, Petaia, Foketi, Perese
Outside Back - Vunivalu, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), Korobiete, Kellaway, Jorgensen

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Have we seen Hooper play XVs for the last time?

might make a club or barbarians appearance, but if he misses the RWC and swaps to 7s next year, it’ll be a sad end to an incredible XVs career.
I really can’t see him suited to 7’s, he’s lost so much of of mobility and speed the last 2 years. If it was 3+ years ago, perfect, but now I’m not so sure.
I hope the best for him though, he’s been a great servant for rugby.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Its not new. Chekia did it in 2015. We only took 2 hookers then as soon as someone got injured (i think it was Skelton and Palu) Hanson and Carter came in.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Surely you take MHoopen on tour purely for his experience and leadership even if he’s not going to play. He’s going to add more overall than the 40 mins that Donaldson plays against Georgia.

maybe he is travelling with the team just not part of the official named squad. Not sure if that’s allowed but can’t see why not.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Ikitau out is a massive blow. As discussed, I'm fine leaving Hooper at home if he's not 100%, but wow I would have thought a half-baked Ikitau was still a viable option for us.

Big pressure on Petaia now, but I think he's up to it.

Maybe Eddie is banking that there will likely be an injury or two in the squad anyways, in which case you fly him over at a later stage in the tournament.