• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Foley is the interesting omission from that 'Barbarians' team. Yes, I'm reading something into it.
To offer a counterpoint: Samu & Fainga'a have also not been selected for the Barbarians. That's all 3 players involved in the A squad whose current contracts aren't domestic, no?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
According to the roar Eddie has decided against any changes to the 33. All smooth sailing except for 2/6 of our props are injured, with glass cannon Fa'amausili with a calf injury and Slipper a foot injury. FFS. Kellaway will be fine though.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Who knows what the real story is, even a version from the player or an RA official could easily be slanted to make them look favorably on this. However my personal opinion is if he did decide to stay here and play club then that’s not looking favourably on the player. Considering there was guys with considerably more to lose than him that put their hand up for an Aus A jersey. Guys with French and Japanese rugby contracts, the French guys specifically would have got competitive hit out this weekend. He’s not part of the camp that would be running the same plays as the national team, etc. been an employee of RA with a top up as well, I’m sure they could easily summon him to attend or be in breach of contract. I personally think it doesn’t show a great desire either.

There might be more to the story, perhaps he’s further down the pecking order than we think. Perhaps there is some personal/family issue that coaches agreed he stay local for. It’s just very strange and think it will be ongoing held against him if he decided to play for Brothers instead of against a direct World Cup opponent, leaning the systems and plays for essentially a national team. We can delude ourselves to think club rugby is awesome but it’s not playing against Portugal in France while been part of the extended national set up awesome.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
To offer a counterpoint: Samu & Fainga'a have also not been selected for the Barbarians. That's all 3 players involved in the A squad whose current contracts aren't domestic, no?
Yeah, Top 14 has started, can't be playing silly buggers with the Barbarians.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Wilson playing Barbarians.

Makes me think he did just want to play club. Apologies to those who suggested it and I doubted.

Goes to show that we do have some depth. There are some quality Aussie players in that line up!!

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Any news on how Ikitau's recovery is going? This weekend's game really highlighted how much we missed him on attack, defense and backline organisation.
Exactly, having Petia in the 23 provides so much utility as well. He's a must go if given the chance via injuries

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, Top 14 has started, can't be playing silly buggers with the Barbarians.
His contract with Kubota Spears prohibits any 'Barbarians' involvement.
Yes, this is probably the case now that it's mentioned. I did see that Roar article DC but took it with a grain of salt, initially. I guess if we need to make a change now will utilise a 'legitimate' injury.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
based on the Barbarians squad named, and presuming you would expect a strong "Australia First" bias in the selection, you maybe have a lineup of:

Wright, Anderson, Daugunu, Paisami, Pietch, O'Connor, Lonergan
Lambert, Lonergan, Talakai, Neville, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Swinton, Uru, Wilson
Nakamura, Kobayashi, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Canham, Makisi/Shimokawa, Shingeno, Yamanaka, McCurran/Takahashi

Which is not a terrible little group.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes we are 0-5 but all those 5 losses have been against teams a lot better than wales, Fiji and England so there is hope
We are six weeks away from the quarter finals and we have four games against opponents during that time who are not rated in the top four. There is ample time for us to hone our game between now and then and be really competitive in the knockout stages. My chief fears are injuries in positions where we don't have equivalent back-ups, our halfback options and the lack of a consistent goalkicker. The rest is coachable in the time we have left before the knockout games.

1. Our starting front row bested the French on the weekend and the replacements held their own. While SA and Ireland might have the best scrums, the French are no slouches. Our starting front row will put immense pressure on other teams over the course of the tournament.
2. Our lineout and maul need work but are definitely fixable. Maybe Frost should start in front of Arnold.
3. Our current backrow, if we go 6:2 and select both Gleeson and Leota, has the flexibility to dish it up to everyone except maybe SA and Ireland.
4. Halfback is a major worry. Neither starters can accurately pass, one wants to run the show when he doesn't have the attacking nous to do so and Isaac, our back-up. is untested. Lonergan should be starting and place kicking.
5. Gordon will be great, but he has no back-up worth the name. We are one injury from obscurity.
6. Petaia, Perese, Foketi and Kerevi are serviceable to great and if one gets injured we can bring back Ikitau, who must have healed by the quarters.
7. Nawaqanitawase, Vunivalu and Koroibete will all make metres and score tries.
8. Kellaway is safe and runs great lines. His back-up should be Jorgensen as soon as he is fit.
9. Donaldson is the back-up at 23. That is the consequence of terrible selection, but it is what it is.

There is more than just hope. That team with more time together over the six weeks should make the semi's minimum. After that, its best on the day.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Completely left field, but I'm sure Kellaway was a goalkicker as a schoolboy. I wonder if he practices at all now? Could he possibly be a back-up kicker to Gordon?

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Any news on how Ikitau's recovery is going? This weekend's game really highlighted how much we missed him on attack, defense and backline organisation.

Media commentary in the smh at the time the squad was announced, which suggested he would have been ready for the first match and hadn't heard from Eddie, concerns me. I wonder if Jones has decided he's not big enough.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think one of Englands biggest issues was waiting on flat feet for the Fijians in defence. They get past your shoulders and hit a support runner at speed with an offload and they’re away. If you can take their space the half passes start to bounce off shoulders or going behind the man.

That, but also England's attack offered zero threat, and Fiji didn't have to spend much time defending anything complex or giving away penalties.

They're not under pressure, so they're still thinking clearly and not chasing a game.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So anyone who thinks that Wilson playing for Brothers is not the equivalent of Valetini turning down his Wallabies RWC starting position to play club rugby must be racist?

you can disagree with his ‘speculated’ decision not to play Aus A, but to start claiming everyone who disagrees with you are racist on that, is a bit much.
You really took the bait didn't you....

Last edited:

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
That's a great sign, but I'd expect there's a large difference between golf fit and test match rugby fit for a fractured scapula