• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I always learn something from his stuff
Squidge is a classic take with a grain of salt situation I feel. I think he's really good at breaking down individual chains of play into what works and why, but overextends himself when proscribing that to grand strategy looking forward. I thought his "why Pivac didn't work" videos was his strongest work: there is mountains of former material across both Wales and the Scarlets that show where and why certain plans didn't translate and he did not have to make any assessments as to what the future of a Pivac team or "that rugby at its best" may look like.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Squidge is a classic take with a grain of salt situation I feel. I think he's really good at breaking down individual chains of play into what works and why, but overextends himself when proscribing that to grand strategy looking forward. I thought his "why Pivac didn't work" videos was his strongest work: there is mountains of former material across both Wales and the Scarlets that show where and why certain plans didn't translate and he did not have to make any assessments as to what the future of a Pivac team or "that rugby at its best" may look like.

Hey, mate. I would think that Squidge's greatest strength is boiling it down to a single explanation. I'd say his biggest weakness is boiling it down to a single explanation.

His work is certainly didactic and with that on this occasion gave us some things to consider with Eddie and where we currently sit. It would be silly to think Squidge provides a detailed accurate technical analysis with all nuance. I'm happy to rate his work. I'm yet to find something that gives a better picture in terms of me comprehending things and gaining a snapshot of where it is headed.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I had assumed wrongly that Jason Ryles was a discarded league coach floating around. Didn't realise he turned down HC at the Dragons to be an assistant with Bellamy at the Storm next year. Guy is clearly good at his job. Doubt he'll be able to have any impact with zero preparation but good to know he's not just a ring in.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
I had assumed wrongly that Jason Ryles was a discarded league coach floating around. Didn't realise he turned down HC at the Dragons to be an assistant with Bellamy at the Storm next year. Guy is clearly good at his job. Doubt he'll be able to have any impact with zero preparation but good to know he's not just a ring in.
Fresh eyes can spot areas of improvement.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I always learn something from his stuff
Rugby is undoubtedly complicated any many areas, however this notion of ‘total rugby’ being unque is complete rubbish. It’s just increasing skill sets across the player base more eyes up footy can be played when warranted.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
His stuff reminds me of English class, overanalysing literature for the sake of it, half the stuff is bullshit that the authors/directors never intentioned or considered.
It would be entertaining to watch a professional player respond to some that ‘analysis’.

Anway he has his niche and following so good on him.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
IMG_1414.jpeg

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s interesting.

thought historically the average age of WC winning squads was about 27.5 yrs.

(anyone know the odds on a Chile v France final?).

I would have also assumed that average squad ages were getting younger - although I guess with professionalism players are playing longer.

No idea where I got the stat from though so probably just wrong.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I like Squidge and enjoy his content. But he is overly verbose which can be very annoying. Like, his Post-Pivac video ( which is my favourite of his) is 40 minutes long. What does it say?

Pivac tried to replicate his Scarlets plan practically one to one.

This plan involves:
- Attacks primarily being built from rucks within the tramlines
- During attacking set-up, 6+ Forwards need to be on their feet and distributed in wide positions across the field
- No more than 2, preferably 1 player should be securing the ball at each ruck, preferably an outside back
- The Blindside Winger as the stock "distributing" player so the 10 is given time and space to control the flow of the game
- Retain possession of as much ball as possible i.e. minimise tactical kicking

The plan failed because (3) is exploitable by the increased quality of player at the international level and the best players available to Pivac in the back three don't have the strengths that allow (4) to be an option. But rather than adapt the gameplan on an ongoing basis by doing away with (5), which suits the likes of LRZ, North, Halfpenny, Williams etc. a lot more, he doubled down, forcing either (a) wingers ill suited for playmaking to act as distributors or (b) the fly half to act as both primary and secondary distributor minimising his effectiveness at structural organisation.

If that was something that our pundits and analysts were interested in saying to us, I'd hope they could get that across in 8 or 9 minutes.

Similarly, he spent... I dunno 15 or 16 minutes talking about what made Huwipulotu tick in one of his videos. But it's as simple as saying: "For a number of years Scotlands best center pair was probably Johnson & Harris, whom are solid if unspectacular offensively. But Jones is an elite strike runner and always provides a threat must be respected, and while not necessarily as strong at every possible option, Tuipulotu provides a genuine threat in every part of the short game (crash ball, offload, short pass, grubber kick) that demands attention: this either provides opportunity for scores and breaks from them directly, or space for Russell to bring the back 3 into the game. "