• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I don't think I've ever seen a Wallabies game in recent memory and thought they had a notable lack of fitness and that was why they lost. And Skelton just got injured in training and presumably his training in Europe is fine.

Hooper, Ikitau, Bell, Kellaway, Valteni, Koriobei, Slipper. They all look fit to me. It isn't like the squad is gassing out at minute 50. They are professional rugby players. That's all they do. You are telling me Nawaqanitawase is not fit?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think I've ever seen a Wallabies game in recent memory and thought they had a notable lack of fitness and that was why they lost. And Skelton just got injured in training and presumably his training in Europe is fine.

Hooper, Ikitau, Bell, Kellaway, Valteni, Koriobei, Slipper. They all look fit to me. It isn't like the squad is gassing out at minute 50. They are professional rugby players. That's all they do. You are telling me Nawaqanitawase is not fit?
If they are fit enough why have the last 5 Wallaby coaches thought different

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

They are fit enough by the time they play, the issue is the amount of extra work they have to do to get there.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
And Skelton just got injured in training and presumably his training in Europe is fine.
Skelton got flogged/and called out by O'Gara when he first showed up, he did no work in his off season and turned up in France out of shape and way off the mark. Think he learnt a big lesson and has remained professional year round since.

Not sure about other sides, by I know the Rebels sent a player or two home day one of preseason before for failing some tests.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
  1. Feao Fotuaika (Tonga)
  2. Paul Alo-Emile (Samoa) - not really a hooker
  3. Michael Ala'alatoa (Samoa)
  4. Jack Cornelsen (Japan)
  5. Adam Coleman (Tonga)
  6. Ben Gunter (Japan)
  7. Richard Hardwick (Namibia)
  8. Jack Dempsey (Scotland)
  9. ?
  10. Christian Leali'ifano (Samoa)
  11. Mack Hansen (Ireland)
  12. Sione Tuipulotu (Scotland)
  13. Dylan Riley (Japan)
  14. Monty Ioane (Italy)
  15. Duncan Paia'aua (Samoa)
Why not Lala Lam at 2?

Wallabies

Frank Nicholson (4)
Obviously this world cup can be a write off, but what do we think of for the years to come. I know eddie jones hasnt done best job but he did only have two months to prepare for a wallabies team already in deep trouble. Do we think the wallabies can regain ground and step up for lions tour 2025 and world cup 2027. I think with the new leadership in Australia rugby who havent shied away from criticising the past management, and the new centralised format, we can indeed win more games. I also hope we dont give up on eddie jones. He either played the team Rennie had which we knew wouldnt do well, or he took a chance. We either played a team we knew was bad or try play a more risky team which hasnt worked out. I also think the lions tour is perfect for generating money for wallabies leading into world cup. Hope people dont give up on them.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Obviously this world cup can be a write off, but what do we think of for the years to come. I know eddie jones hasnt done best job but he did only have two months to prepare for a wallabies team already in deep trouble. Do we think the wallabies can regain ground and step up for lions tour 2025 and world cup 2027. I think with the new leadership in Australia rugby who havent shied away from criticising the past management, and the new centralised format, we can indeed win more games. I also hope we dont give up on eddie jones. He either played the team Rennie had which we knew wouldnt do well, or he took a chance. We either played a team we knew was bad or try play a more risky team which hasnt worked out. I also think the lions tour is perfect for generating money for wallabies leading into world cup. Hope people dont give up on them.
I wouldn't rate this post so highly that you needed to post it in multiple threads, Hamish.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
When, in all of human history, has management not blamed previous leadership for current problems?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
This is complete speculation on my part, but bear with me. I wonder if the lack of fitness is a lack of match fitness? If our players played more high level rugby throughout the year, I wonder if coaches would feel the need to overtrain the players when they arrived in Wallaby camp?

Is the lack of fitness that's being discussed here due to the lack of an adequate first class comp in Australia? I reckon it would partly explain why it's been identified as an issue going back such a long time.

The cotton wool strategy of not letting our wallabies play club rugby is a tried and true method of players still getting injured at wallabies training sessions.

Honestly once super rugby season ends I’d send every MF with a wallaby contract top up back to clubland and j would be making my wallaby squad selection based out of super rugby players playing in 3rd tier.

If we bow out in the pools - what your suggesting will def need be front and centre at any RWC review.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
The cotton wool strategy of not letting our wallabies play club rugby is a tried and true method of players still getting injured at wallabies training sessions.

Honestly once super rugby season ends I’d send every MF with a wallaby contract top up back to clubland and j would be making my wallaby squad selection based out of super rugby players playing in 3rd tier.

If we bow out in the pools - what your suggesting will def need be front and centre at any RWC review.

There is definitely something to say for match fitness > gym fitness

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Sounds a genuine chance Eddie isn't coach after the WC. I wrote it off as noise previously but with the constant questions, rumours etc. starting to think where there's smoke...

I just want to know why the messaging is so confused. Are they throwing away this WC or not? Is 23 the priority or 27? The smartarse responses and lack of clarity have worn thin personally.