• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The rest is some really good stuff but but holy hell:

“Even in England, playing against Andy Goode, the first time I played fullback he schooled me,” O’Connor said.
“He was just picking me apart in the backfield, making me run all day, like a tennis match, I was just running after the ball all day and it took the sting out of my legs.
“I spoke to him after and he said, ‘We didn’t want you to be fresh because we knew what you could do in counter-attack, so I made you run boy’.”

You can't have nearly 100 first class caps and be like that.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
He's a really interesting case. He played league as a junior and only played a couple of years at school rugby before becoming a pro, and he was.pretty.much thrust straight into it.

Had the skills to be anything, but even in his early 20s he had barely played any rugby

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He's a really interesting case. He played league as a junior and only played a couple of years at school rugby before becoming a pro, and he was.pretty.much thrust straight into it.

Had the skills to be anything, but even in his early 20s he had barely played any rugby
I appreciate and empathise with the difficulty of being pushed into 10 at the Rebels/Wallabies across the 2012 & 2013 seasons. Been an outside back at International level, with a Barbarians Cameo when BB was alongside him, suddenly thrust into starting 10 for both Rebels and WOBs, during a BILs season.

But he had about 45 tests and 60 Super Rugby games by the time he pulled on a Not-Nots Jersey. I appreciate that's not the same thing as a lifetime of schools, colts and state/national age grade fixtures, but something as simple as "make the *star* work his arse off" should not come to be a tactical revelation at that point in time for him.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wasn't there a big emphasis on O'Connor's transition towards a coaching role when he most recently re-signed? His time on the sidelines probably sped this up a bit. As you say, could certainly do a lot worse.
Except he is not test standard. has not been for a while. He would be the 4th ranked 10 at the Reds.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
ut he had about 45 tests and 60 Super Rugby games by the time he pulled on a Not-Nots Jersey. I appreciate that's not the same thing as a lifetime of schools, colts and state/national age grade fixtures, but something as simple as "make the *star* work his arse off" should not come to be a tactical revelation at that point in time for him
I don't disagree, but how many games at 15 against a tactically astute kicking 10 had he played?

Probably something approaching zero games?

It says something more about his opposition in those 45 tests and 60 Super Rugby games

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think you’ve missed the point here
Include him as a coach if needed but surely he will not be included as a player. Having mentors within the group looks to be a big deal for Schmidt, and as we know, experience is king in test rugby. However, any player included as a player/coach needs to be able to hold his own on the pitch. If Schmidt is looking for such a player then surely QC (Quade Cooper), Foley and Beale will be preferred.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
After the weekends rugby a few put their hands up.
Tom Wright was exceptional for the Brumbies. He really does need to be in the back 3 somewhere. With him and Kellaway there is the opportunity to throw an out and out speedster on the vacant wing. Young Tim Ryan seems to have something special and every time he touches the ball something happens. He looks to be moving faster than everyone else on the pitch. Worth a look.
Lolesios game was class on the weekend as was Ben Donaldsons. I would start(at this point) Noah with Donaldson on the pine covering 10 and 15.
Baley Kuenzle had another great game and at 13. He is worth consideration for a squad spot primarily as a 13 but covering 12-15. He has size and speed along with a decent boot and he takes good options. Hes a good footy player.
The front row remains a concern as the Brumbies got pushed around at scrum time again. Josh Canham gets better each week. He may be a smokey in the second row. Valetini had a forceful game to remind selectors what he can do and Liam Wright was once again very good in a losing side.

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
Tom Wright was exceptional for the Brumbies. He really does need to be in the back 3 somewhere. With him and Kellaway there is the opportunity to throw an out and out speedster on the vacant wing. Young Tim Ryan seems to have something special and every time he touches the ball something happens. He looks to be moving faster than everyone else on the pitch. Worth a look.
Lolesios game was class on the weekend as was Ben Donaldsons. I would start(at this point) Noah with Donaldson on the pine covering 10 and 15.
Baley Kuenzle had another great game and at 13. He is worth consideration for a squad spot primarily as a 13 but covering 12-15. He has size and speed along with a decent boot and he takes good options. Hes a good footy player.
The front row remains a concern as the Brumbies got pushed around at scrum time again. Josh Canham gets better each week. He may be a smokey in the second row. Valetini had a forceful game to remind selectors what he can do and Liam Wright was once again very good in a losing side.
Completely agree re Kuenzle and suspect L Wright has pretty muck locked down the 6 jumper. Valetini has barely deviated from yesterday's form all season though, not sure the selector's needed reminding.

Pretty concerned about our front row but there is at least competition for most other spots now.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Kuenzle is literally Hodge v2.0 on every way and I don’t mean that positively. He was purported to be a 10/12 but had ended up being shifted wider because he doesn’t have the skill set.

LIke Hodge he’s big, runs hard, makes his tackles, and plays for a minnow but isn’t good enough to really start in any position.

There’s also been some recency bias, he’s strung together some good games, and people have overlooked the last two years of average performances.

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
Kuenzle is literally Hodge v2.0 on every way and I don’t mean that positively. He was purported to be a 10/12 but had ended up being shifted wider because he doesn’t have the skill set.

LIke Hodge he’s big, runs hard, makes his tackles, and plays for a minnow but isn’t good enough to really start in any position.

There’s also been some recency bias, he’s strung together some good games, and people have overlooked the last two years of average performances.
Always thought he looked good in the limited chances he got at Brums and was disappointed to lose him. Think his skills are a fair bit better than Hodge too, maybe not quite as good of an athlete

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Look, I've got no specific opinion on Kuenzle, but...

..."recency bias" is word salad for "form", yes?

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With the back 3 it feels most spots are settled (5-6) in the squad but the actual starting and bench spots for game 1 have never been more open
Koribete - should be a lock in the squad but maybe uncertainty as playing overseas? Playing well though so should get in
Kellaway - will get in just will he start as 15 or 14 (even though Wright is playing well kellaway would be a safer 15 but a must in the starting side)
Wright - great form and will get in the squad - I still get worried about him coming into 15 and having a shocker and being dropped all over again! Thinking 14 or 23 where he has shown to be a good winger
Petaia - must be selected - just needs to get a number and stay there (could be wing or 23 I would love him to get the 14 to start and leave him there providing he stays on the field
Toole - out and out pace and finishes so well! Smaller body but getting him tackles better and going in looking for the ball
Marky N - if they pick a 6th think him as they know what he can do on the international stage
Others outside chance
Campbell
Suli - let’s hope not and doesn’t deserve to
Jorgo - can’t see it this year
Daugunu - a good chance I like his tackle busts would be my next in line

Potential back 3 and bench
11. Koribete
14. Petaia / wright
15. Kellaway / wright
23. Wright or petaia
Toole and Marky n as cover to start

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Wash your mouth out, much worse players to be compared to. If Kuenzle, like Hodge, becomes the leading point scorer, most capped player for the WF and amasses 63 Wallabies caps I’d say that’s a good effort.

also the Waratahs have lost to the two minnows this season you refer to. Don’t know what that makes the ‘Tahs.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Wash your mouth out, much worse players to be compared to. If Kuenzle, like Hodge, becomes the leading point scorer, most capped player for the WF and amasses 63 Wallabies caps I’d say that’s a good effort.

also the Waratahs have lost to the two minnows this season you refer to. Don’t know what that makes the ‘Tahs.
He stole a cheque from the Rebels and robbed more talented players from Wallabies positions for years- he wasn’t very good.

Waratahs are a powerhouse club having a poor decade.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Look, I've got no specific opinion on Kuenzle, but...

..."recency bias" is word salad for "form", yes?
True but Ollie Sapsford has played a good few games recently. That doesnt mean I’ll forget how bad the previous 30 have been.

LevitatingSocks

Ward Prentice (10)
With the back 3 it feels most spots are settled (5-6) in the squad but the actual starting and bench spots for game 1 have never been more open
Koribete - should be a lock in the squad but maybe uncertainty as playing overseas? Playing well though so should get in
Kellaway - will get in just will he start as 15 or 14 (even though Wright is playing well kellaway would be a safer 15 but a must in the starting side)
Wright - great form and will get in the squad - I still get worried about him coming into 15 and having a shocker and being dropped all over again! Thinking 14 or 23 where he has shown to be a good winger
Petaia - must be selected - just needs to get a number and stay there (could be wing or 23 I would love him to get the 14 to start and leave him there providing he stays on the field
Toole - out and out pace and finishes so well! Smaller body but getting him tackles better and going in looking for the ball
Marky N - if they pick a 6th think him as they know what he can do on the international stage
Others outside chance
Campbell
Suli - let’s hope not and doesn’t deserve to
Jorgo - can’t see it this year
Daugunu - a good chance I like his tackle busts would be my next in line

Potential back 3 and bench
11. Koribete
14. Petaia / wright
15. Kellaway / wright
23. Wright or petaia
Toole and Marky n as cover to start
Suli shouldn't be starting for the Reds let alone the Wallabies. I think Wright has to get the nod over Petaia because it's unfair to keep picking on potential when it hasn't worked out while Wright has been delivering actual results this entire season.

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Suli shouldn't be starting for the Reds let alone the Wallabies. I think Wright has to get the nod over Petaia because it's unfair to keep picking on potential when it hasn't worked out while Wright has been delivering actual results this entire season.
Agree but wright has delivered in super rugby a few seasons now but hasn’t replicated to test level
Apart from on the wing
Petaia isn’t potential any more we know he is great but just needs to stay on the field and be given a number to stay at
Just don’t want another wright failure at 15 and everyone calling for his head after 1-2 games

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Petaia is no where near the ability of Wright at this point in time. He has had so many opportunities and can not nail a position. Do we really know what his best position is? Wright can be rocks and diamonds but a strong coach with a quality fullback and he has the x-factor the Wallabies have not had for a while.