• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
I think Slipper is still playing with niggles.

He hasn't looked happy all season, not enough to call it an injury but he has seemed quite ginger around the park

He is getting older though so it might just be that
He sat out the tahs game with a crook back, he's carrying that at a minimum. Around one of his many recent milestone games it got reported that he is rarely fully fit but he looks very dusty at the moment. Have to respect his toughness but itd be good if he told the coach to fuck off occassionally for his own sake.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wash your mouth out, much worse players to be compared to. If Kuenzle, like Hodge, becomes the leading point scorer, most capped player for the WF and amasses 63 Wallabies caps I’d say that’s a good effort.

also the Waratahs have lost to the two minnows this season you refer to. Don’t know what that makes the ‘Tahs.
Poo rag?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Geez, watching the Brumbies pack on ice skates at scrumtime vs Crusaders on Sat was ominous...

Does that change the Wallabies front row hierarchy? Mine would still be:

LHP: Slipper, Hodgeman, Schoupp
HK: Faessler, BPA, Pollard
THP: Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Talakai
Basically, we need Tupou fit. Or we need to field him and try to compensate for his lack of fitness around the field for the sake of propping the scrum up.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Uelese has had his best super season ever, on recent form he's there over Pollard.
Yes, and he is even throwing straight!! :oops: Problem is that he goes down after every knock, taking himself out of the play. He played for near 80 mins on the weekend, which was a good effort. Not sure if Schmidt will go for him but he is solid in the scrum.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The scrum is a real concern this international season. I don't think I've seen any of our Super sides consistently dominate in that phase of the game.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
What did people think of Frost at 6? Could that work with the Wallabies. Frost 6, McReight 7, Valentini 8. Lineout would be very strong with say Swain, Rodda and Frost. Then you could have a Tom Hooper / LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) / Leota etc coming off the bench.

Raytah

Herbert Moran (7)
Basically, we need Tupou fit. Or we need to field him and try to compensate for his lack of fitness around the field for the sake of propping the scrum up.
I don't recall him playing 40+ mins in any game this year... will come off the bench for the last ~25-30. Still need a starting THP that can scrum. Maybe Lukhan at 5 behind Ala'alatoa at 3 would work...

Raytah

Herbert Moran (7)
What did people think of Frost at 6? Could that work with the Wallabies. Frost 6, McReight 7, Valentini 8. Lineout would be very strong with say Swain, Rodda and Frost. Then you could have a Tom Hooper / LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) / Leota etc coming off the bench.
It has some appeal, but he is also quite limited for a 6, especially at breakdown.

For me, Wright/Valetini, Swinton/Valetini or Valetini/Wilson are better 6/8 options.

griffins

Darby Loudon (17)
I wouldn't get carried away with Brums lock/backrow rotation, Larkham has changed it up nearly every week. Frost is not a serious 6 candidate at test level. In addition to the above Id still have T Hooper in frint of him as well.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Don't think he can start in same backrow with McReight imo. Too loose. Maybe bench impact option.
He can do just about everything Frost can and he's faster and has better ball skills. Frost is in the second row or on the bench.
At 6/8 you need Valetini and Cale/Swinton/Hooper. Maybe Williams if you want someone with more grunt.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My general view is that you need a fetcher/on-baller, a bruiser/rock-shifter and a ball runner/link-player in your back row. One of them also needs to be able jump in the line out. The numbers on their backs are less important than making sure the skills are covered.

On that basis, McReight is definitely the on-baller and one of the first picked. Valetini could be either a ball runner or rock shifter, depending on the game plan and also has to be one of the first picked. That leaves the bruiser (assuming Bobby V is the ball runner) and I'm going to go against my previous doubts over Swinton and say we should pick him. His form and discipline are definitely better than in previous years. Bobby V or Swinton can also be a line out option.

Finally there is the bench back rower and I think Wright (L) or Cale would be sound choices, because they can cover more than one position in the back row. Both of them could realistically play openside (though different types of 7's). It might be a year too early for Charlie but it's hard to ignore how good he's been this season. What's Leota's status right now?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I guess that McReight and Valetini will be there if fit and in form. Valetini is an OK lineout target but not top line. In order to balance this back row you need Hooper or Cale or maybe Swinton. I would argue that Cale is the best lineout option of all of them and as good as the second rowers at the Brumbies. Wright is not far behind. Swinton has some issues and although he has looked more in control this year, it won’t take much if he is targeted to bring a boil over. Hooper may carry a little more beef than Cale but is not in great form and has spent most of the year on the bench behind Cale. I’m sure all three will be given a chance by being selected in the squad.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I guess that McReight and Valetini will be there if fit and in form. Valetini is an OK lineout target but not top line. In order to balance this back row you need Hooper or Cale or maybe Swinton. I would argue that Cale is the best lineout option of all of them and as good as the second rowers at the Brumbies. Wright is not far behind. Swinton has some issues and although he has looked more in control this year, it won’t take much if he is targeted to bring a boil over. Hooper may carry a little more beef than Cale but is not in great form and has spent most of the year on the bench behind Cale. I’m sure all three will be given a chance by being selected in the squad.
Wright is actually the leading line out recipient in Super Rugby. Though I would have him covering 6/7 on the bench.