• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Wright is actually the leading line out recipient in Super Rugby. Though I would have him covering 6/7 on the bench.
Also winning more tight contacts this year, is disciplined and effective both sides of the ball at breakdown.

Not quite the power of Swinton, athleticism of Cale, or creativity of Wilson - but a real meat and 3 veg player that will make others better.

With Swinton going o/s and Wilson injured, Wright is probably the front runner at 6 for me (with Cale or Hooper off the bench)

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
He can do just about everything Frost can and he's faster and has better ball skills. Frost is in the second row or on the bench.
At 6/8 you need Valetini and Cale/Swinton/Hooper. Maybe Williams if you want someone with more grunt.
Agree, the Frost project is worth sticking with. Not quite there with best locks in the world for physicality just yet, but seems a personality worth investing in and at 24 still has massive upside.

Wallabies

Herbert Moran (7)
Who do we think for 4/5? I think relative to recent years, we've decent depth to pick from in respect to how players are performing and who is actually up for the task for test rugby. I personally am not keen on Will Skelton. Besides from the fact he doesnt usually perform for wallabies, his overall attitude last year rubbed me the wrong way, which i think contributes to his sub-par performance. I was thinking some combination of Frost/Swain/Gleeson/Hooper, and honorable mention to Holloway? Also not keen on Richie Arnold, not necessarily bad, but arguably the most average player last year, did nothing good.

snoopycatchicken

Bob McCowan (2)
Who do we think for 4/5? I think relative to recent years, we've decent depth to pick from in respect to how players are performing and who is actually up for the task for test rugby. I personally am not keen on Will Skelton. Besides from the fact he doesnt usually perform for wallabies, his overall attitude last year rubbed me the wrong way, which i think contributes to his sub-par performance. I was thinking some combination of Frost/Swain/Gleeson/Hooper, and honorable mention to Holloway? Also not keen on Richie Arnold, not necessarily bad, but arguably the most average player last year, did nothing good.
What was wrong with Will Skelton's attitude last year? He played well in every match and then was thrown under the bus into a captaincy role that he had no experience with.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I like Swain-Rodda-Frost as the trio for Wales, with Hooper, Holloway and Canham in the squad as well - Hooper and Holloway also competing for backrow positions, and an eye on debuting Canham v Georgia.

Reassess for injury and performance, probably bringing Skelton in to at least be part of the squad.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Skelton's attitude? From everything I've seen he did his absolute best in an absolute disaster of an environment.

Rodda is ramping up in what is really positive for the Wallabies and the options it opens up. I think it starts to push Frost to the outer of the potential 23. He just lacks the punch in tight and the depth across 6,8 makes it tricky.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Chris Thompson, the new Wallabies' manager, was visiting the Wallabies accommodations in Argentina:
3a0c0680966b115fa008c4d932a5c3cf-1716382862.jpg

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think Skelton will get picked and I'd pick him too if I was Schmidt. The question then becomes who to partner him. My vote would probably be Rodda at this point.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Skelton, Rodda, Swain as the main three.

Frost, Canham next

Holloway, Hooper, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) fall into the 'can cover backrow and second row' category. Uru could get into this as well

Jeremy Williams has been impressive with his efforts around the field. Seems a good leader as well.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Skelton won me over last year - but I still don’t think he was head and shoulders above the other contenders in terms of form (no - that isn’t supposed to be a bad pun). And Rodda wasn’t available and Swain’s form wasn’t anywhere near as good. Most importantly he isn’t available for the July series to my understand so it is all a moot point. If he is going to be available for 80% of the tests then pick him but I’m not losing sleep. There is no other OS lock I’d considered.

I’d also hold Canham & Williams (plus Cale) back at this point. We are repeatedly exposing guys before they are ready and don’t seem to learn from the mistakes. Both Hooper & Frost have gone backwards this year and I reckon being exposed at the higher level could well be the issue. Swain himself had the same issue as did Salakai-Loto & Coleman.

Rodda, Swain & Holloway are a good starting point for mine. Fill the extra spot with Skelton if available or, if not, Salakai-Loto, Neville or possibly Smith.

Edit: I’d actually be very interested in Harry Hockings if they can lure him back - although I admit this is based purely on what I’ve heard as I don’t watch the Japanese comp.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I still like Cadeyrn Neville and Ryan Smith as options
I'm not opposed to Neville but at 35 I wonder if they start thinking about 2027..

Smith has been great for the Reds. Probably in the same realm as Williams this season. Love to see them brought into camp and see how they go as the speed goes up. Sometimes guys just find there level and the Smith, Sinclair types are worth their weight in gold at Super Rugby level with what you get for the cost.

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Skelton must be first picked - was Huge last year until injuries
Rodda - seems we have missed him but would love him to partner Skelton to start with a big pack
Swain in the mix for 19 and frost
Also hybrid types with hooper, Holloway and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as the final cover
Could be a Smokey like Ryan smith is Williams from force

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Skelton won't be picked for this series. No foreign based players will be. If LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is still on the recovery journey, we will need Swinton or Leota at 6 to balance out what will be a lower impact 2nd row (Rodda/Frost). Also excluding Wilson (departing) and Swinton (leaving)

4. Frost 5.Rodda
6. Leota 8. Valetini 7. Mcreight

19. Swain 20. Wright

my preferred dream atm would be

4. Rodda 5. Skelton
6. Swinton 8. Valetini 7. Wright

19. Frost 20. Wilson

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Skelton won't be picked for this series. No foreign based players will be. If LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is still on the recovery journey, we will need Swinton or Leota at 6 to balance out what will be a lower impact 2nd row (Rodda/Frost). Also excluding Wilson (departing) and Swinton (leaving)
Wilson departing???

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Any Japanese players we’d pick? Much more available than France.

I’d have be happy with a Philip & Rodda second row.