• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think we'll probably see three "senior" looks.

A conventional pack: three non-Skelton locks, McReight & Valetini, then Wright and one of the Blindside group (my pick is Leota, but I see arguments for Frost, Cale, Uru etc.) in the 6 & 20

A Skelton pack: swap a starting lock for Skelton, shift Wright to 7, add a Holloway/Hooper type at 6, McReight and another lock on the bench.

Power Bench: Conventional starters, 6-2 bench with Skelton, another lock option and a backrow option.

Schmidt will figure out which combination gives him what he's looking for, then the subtleties of the 2025 gameplan will be built around that.

scrans21

Sydney Middleton (9)
Right now, I'd be picking Wright, McRight, and Valetini .... then probably a Hooper, Hollaway, Leota, Haniagan, Cale

I'd say Swain and Rodda as the starting locks ATM. I am not sure who the backup is, but it is one of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Frost, Hollaway... with Smith/Canham as backup...
That's my backrow. Leota or Hooper will probably be the bench player but I'd love to see Cale get a chance to rip in with 30 to go.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Out of
I think we'll probably see three "senior" looks.

A conventional pack: three non-Skelton locks, McReight & Valetini, then Wright and one of the Blindside group (my pick is Leota, but I see arguments for Frost, Cale, Uru etc.) in the 6 & 20

A Skelton pack: swap a starting lock for Skelton, shift Wright to 7, add a Holloway/Hooper type at 6, McReight and another lock on the bench.

Power Bench: Conventional starters, 6-2 bench with Skelton, another lock option and a backrow option.

Schmidt will figure out which combination gives him what he's looking for, then the subtleties of the 2025 gameplan will be built around that.

You've just locked the Wallabies into 2, possibly 3 entirely different game strategies/plans and no time to build any of them. It's the sort of plan that has me reverting to simply leaving Skelton in France.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper’s flexibility and the Brumbies’ back 5 depth has seen him constantly shift between lock, 6, 7, bench cover for all three, or even being rested depending on the week…

I’m not sure if that may hurt his selection chances, but he’s looked good again in recent weeks.

The last few years he’s timed his form at the right end of the year, but I also wonder if we’re going to see more of him back at lock going forward.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Word on street this week was Rodda may not be getting RA top up so reasonable chance he won't be at the Force (or even in Aus) next year. Would be a massive shame.
This is pretty crap if true. I know he has been injured but they need to invest in him for the Lions. Didn't they just give a top up to Zane Nongorr?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Hooper’s flexibility and the Brumbies’ back 5 depth has seen him constantly shift between lock, 6, 7, bench cover for all three, or even being rested depending on the week…

I’m not sure if that may hurt his selection chances, but he’s looked good again in recent weeks.

The last few years he’s timed his form at the right end of the year, but I also wonder if we’re going to see more of him back at lock going forward.
Hooper seems to be considered a lock at the Brumbies these days with Frost taking over that 4/6 role.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nongoor is a smart top up. You need to get three tightheads locked down, and I don't necessarily think he's the third best option right now this absolute second: but his age and growth over the past 9 or 10 months means it's much more sensible to give that to him rather than HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Talakai, Pone, Robertson etc.

I hope RA are sensible with front rowers when/if the rebels die off. Even putting aside the Tahs top ups, you had 5 foreign props realistically in and around the best 23 of the 5 super squads, not even including the likes of Hodgeman or Eloff as eligibles or soon to be eligibles.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Hoping that with more game time and a few more tests under his belt the decision making continues to improve. He’s been markedly better this year just need to translate that into gold.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Paul Cully's possibles & probabales

Wallabies contenders​

Hookers
Probable: Matt Faeesler, Jordan Uelese.
Possible: Billy Pollard, Brendon Paenga-Amosa.
Props
Probable: James Slipper, Allan Ala’alatoa, Taniela Tupou, Zane Nonggorr.
Possible: Sam Talakai, Matt Gibbon, Blake Schoupp, Alex Hodgman.
Second row
Probable: Nick Frost.
Possible: Darcy Swain, Izack Rodda, Jeremy Williams, Jed Holloway, Miles Amatosero, Ryan Smith, Tom Hooper, Cadeyrn Neville, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Josh Canham.
Back row
Probable: Rob Valetini, Fraser McReight.
Possible: Charlie Cale, Josh Kemeny, Lachlan Swinton, Liam Wright, Rob Leota, Harry Wilson.
Halfbacks
Probable: Nic White, Tate McDermott, Jake Gordon.
Possible: Lachlan Lonergan, Kalani Thomas.
No.10
Possible: Noah Lolesio, Carter Gordon, Tom Lynagh, Ben Donaldson, Tane Edmed.
Midfield
Probable: Hunter Paisami, Len Ikitau.
Possible: Josh Flook, Lalakai Foketi, Hamish Stewart, Bayley Kuenzle, Filipo Daugunu.
Outside backs
Probable: Tom Wright, Andrew Kellaway.
Possible: Corey Toole, Tim Ryan, Darby Lancaster, Jock Campbell, Kurtley Beale, Mark Nawaqantiwase.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Paul Cully's possibles & probabales

Wallabies contenders​

Hookers
Probable: Matt Faeesler, Jordan Uelese.
Possible: Billy Pollard, Brendon Paenga-Amosa.
Props
Probable: James Slipper, Allan Ala’alatoa, Taniela Tupou, Zane Nonggorr.
Possible: Sam Talakai, Matt Gibbon, Blake Schoupp, Alex Hodgman.
Second row
Probable: Nick Frost.
Possible: Darcy Swain, Izack Rodda, Jeremy Williams, Jed Holloway, Miles Amatosero, Ryan Smith, Tom Hooper, Cadeyrn Neville, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Josh Canham.
Back row
Probable: Rob Valetini, Fraser McReight.
Possible: Charlie Cale, Josh Kemeny, Lachlan Swinton, Liam Wright, Rob Leota, Harry Wilson.
Halfbacks
Probable: Nic White, Tate McDermott, Jake Gordon.
Possible: Lachlan Lonergan, Kalani Thomas.
No.10
Possible: Noah Lolesio, Carter Gordon, Tom Lynagh, Ben Donaldson, Tane Edmed.
Midfield
Probable: Hunter Paisami, Len Ikitau.
Possible: Josh Flook, Lalakai Foketi, Hamish Stewart, Bayley Kuenzle, Filipo Daugunu.
Outside backs
Probable: Tom Wright, Andrew Kellaway.
Possible: Corey Toole, Tim Ryan, Darby Lancaster, Jock Campbell, Kurtley Beale, Mark Nawaqantiwase.
He literally put every second rower playing and got a half confused with a hooker... Obviously not watched a game or not many