• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
He literally put every second rower playing and got a half confused with a hooker... Obviously not watched a game or not many
He shouldn't have got the wrong Lonergan, but the editors also should have picked that up. Is he that wrong on the 2nd rowers though? He's not saying they'll all be there come the first squad, just that it's a pretty flat field right now without much in the way of stand outs and any of them could make it.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's nice to see Holloway get a run at 8 the last two weeks. I've always thought the Wallabies go best with a big, bruising 8 in the mould of David Lyons or Toutai Kefu; for those of a certain age I could add Mark Loane. Holloway started in the back row for the Tahs and his NRC side all those years ago, and I always thought he had the making of a big, bruising 8. He's had to move to the second row out of necessity this year due to the Tahs lack of tall timber (how many years has that been happening?, since Gibson's days), and he's done the job extremely well. But, I'd like to see a long stint at 8.

Yoda

Tom Lawton (22)
Paul Cully 10’s. All ‘Possible’ … no ’Probable’.
It‘s Between Lolesio, Donaldson and Gordon. Sorry to Lynagh, too soon and Edmed no chance. Still don’t see what everyone sees in young Noah apart from his goal kicking. I obviously realise it is extremely important in Tests and for that reason may get first crack but in other five eighth skills Donaldson and Gordon are miles ahead imho. Noah has zero speed to make a break. The other two are quite speedy. Joe’s decision will be quite interesting. Whoever he picks though I hope he backs them to the hilt. I have a good feeling about our Wallabies over the next few years. Hope!

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
It's nice to see Holloway get a run at 8 the last two weeks. I've always thought the Wallabies go best with a big, bruising 8 in the mould of David Lyons or Toutai Kefu; for those of a certain age I could add Mark Loane. Holloway started in the back row for the Tahs and his NRC side all those years ago, and I always thought he had the making of a big, bruising 8. He's had to move to the second row out of necessity this year due to the Tahs lack of tall timber (how many years has that been happening?, since Gibson's days), and he's done the job extremely well. But, I'd like to see a long stint at 8.
Holloway is our only forward who can capably play 4,6 or 8. That makes him pretty valuable in a Wallabies set up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
With regards to Skelton - where people are saying he is in whenever he is available - what if that is only 50-60% of the time? Team cohesion needs to be factored in somewhere.
Even Darwin himself said cohesion is secondary to ability - its just the next best factor to predicting performance all other things being equal.

You cant tell me a test side cant figure out lineout systems with and without Skelton. If that is actually the case we are screwed regardless.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
So elephant in the room - Tim Ryan in brilliant form but young.

Does he get a Wallabies call up?

My tip is a squad call up but as much as I'd like to see him there, not sure he'll make the 23....

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
You wouldn’t want either of Hooper or Eru starting at 8 for the Wallabies. Holloway could do it.
Leota can as well. Although it's going to be a few go down before Holloway gets the 8 jersey even as a bench reserve. I think right now he is fighting for the 6 jersey..

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Even Darwin himself said cohesion is secondary to ability - its just the next best factor to predicting performance all other things being equal.

You cant tell me a test side cant figure out lineout systems with and without Skelton. If that is actually the case we are screwed regardless.
I was thinking about this yesterday. I’m okay with Skelton being selected and he was good for us last year. But he’s not a must pick IMO and I’m happy to play devils advocate here.

Am I correct France is the only other top tier nation who runs a lock who can’t jump. And they do it by three jumpers on their backrow. To do that we would have to leave out at least one of Valetini or McReight - who I would argue are both more clearly the best in their position then Skelton is this year and both who are available for all tests.

We are talking about leaving out Gordon because he can’t kick. Despite his generally good form there are question marks around Uelese because his throwing has been rubbish. People’s core skills matter. Skelton is very weak on one of the primary roles of a lock.

Lineouts are very much about consistency. I have no doubt that the test team can adapt to suit different personal but it’s far from ideal to have to float between two significantly different structures. We don’t have any other player similiar to Skelton so there would be a number of changes to the game plan with him in the team v being out. Also potentially other player changes to accommodate him.

Anyway, I’ll leave it at that. I’m sure if he gets selected he’ll personally play well.

Wallabies

Herbert Moran (7)
I think the likes of Tim Ryan, Max Jorgenson (again) and Tom Lynagh get a cap POTENTIALLY in the georgia game. I think its a foot race between Jorgenson and Ryan to who gets a run on wallabies this year, dont love the idea of having two 20 year olds on both wings.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
With Wilson out, if Valetini went down, I think Uru would be pretty close to the only guy we have who could replicate the volume of carries and gain line that those two offer. So he's probably in the team even if someone else actually has 8 on their back

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I sincerely hope everyone is now off the Rodda bandwagon. There were three other starting locks in the game much better than Rodda, and that has been consistent most of the year. IMO he is lazy, jogging around behind the ruck area trying hard to not be involved. Seems to only hit rucks when there is likely to be a turnover, and that is rare. And he's never the first to the ruck, usually third or later. He still falls off too many tackles he should be making (witness McReight breaking his tackle to score) and if he's made a couple of metres after contact with the ball, then that is flying high for him. In other words, he has little involvement in games other than as a lineout receiver and mostly is ineffective in other aspects of the game.