• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
There will be no need for any overseas exemptions. Perofeta and McKenzie will be immediate options at 10, with guys likes Zarn Sullivan and Ruben Love as longer term options. Hooker might be the weakest position I can think of, with Taukei'aho, Aumua, and George Bell as the viable options.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
There will be no need for any overseas exemptions. Perofeta and McKenzie will be immediate options at 10, with guys likes Zarn Sullivan and Ruben Love as longer term options. Hooker might be the weakest position I can think of, with Taukei'aho, Aumua, and George Bell as the viable options.
I realise this is a Wallabies thread, but yes there a need for exceptions maybe not at 9 when you have Roigard and Christie or FB when you can move Jordan there and have plentiful options in the wings.

But losing your best 10, 2 of your best 3 locks, your best 6 and Ardie Savea, one of the worlds best players this WC cycle I think warrants allowing 3-5 overseas picks

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well that’s easy then - the Coleslaw

ill see myself out

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So I noted pre NRL GF they farewelled departing players. So who are the Wallabies from recent years that you think we may not see again in Wallaby colours?

Michael Hooper the obvious one (disregarding we may see him wearing G&G for 7s)
Quade Cooper too and probably Bernard Foley. Beale no go as well.

The departing players are next - I don't think we'll see Hodge or Pete Samu.

I think that may be it for Kerevi too and I don't see how Richie Arnold fits in our plans again. Really curious about Skelton. He played well for sure, but not sure if we can commit to a part time player given how significant a game plan change it is when he plays.

Then its the more line - ball ones. Nic White? You get a sense his time his close. Likewise Jed Holloway, maybe Cadryrn Neville, and surely Jordan Uelese.

Personally I don't think Josh Kemeny should get another shot. Not sure why he was there this time.

And finally, I really worry as to how much more James Slipper can take. Mentally or physically. The guy is a Wallaby God but he surely can't do it all again?

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hopefully out of the guys that have played during this WC cycle these are the one's we don't see again:

Slipper
Hooper
Hanigan
Cooper
Foley
Beale
Hodge
Arnold (x2)
Liam Wright
White
Kerevi
Kemeny
Talakai
Hoskins
McInerney
Swinton
Simone
Banks
Gordon (Jake)
Samu
Holloway
Uelese
McMahon
Latu
Lolesio
Sio
Daungunu
Swain
Fainga'a
Phillip
O'Connor
Neville

I'd also add Ben Donaldson to that list if I was coaching the Wallabies but Eddie loves him for whatever reason

From next year hopefully BPA, both Lonergan, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda etc. come back in

Last edited:

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
So I noted pre NRL GF they farewelled departing players. So who are the Wallabies from recent years that you think we may not see again in Wallaby colours?

Michael Hooper the obvious one (disregarding we may see him wearing G&G for 7s)
Quade Cooper too and probably Bernard Foley. Beale no go as well.

The departing players are next - I don't think we'll see Hodge or Pete Samu.

I think that may be it for Kerevi too and I don't see how Richie Arnold fits in our plans again. Really curious about Skelton. He played well for sure, but not sure if we can commit to a part time player given how significant a game plan change it is when he plays.

Then its the more line - ball ones. Nic White? You get a sense his time his close. Likewise Jed Holloway, maybe Cadryrn Neville, and surely Jordan Uelese.

Personally I don't think Josh Kemeny should get another shot. Not sure why he was there this time.

And finally, I really worry as to how much more James Slipper can take. Mentally or physically. The guy is a Wallaby God but he surely can't do it all again?
I think the Lions tour will keep a few going and in the frame, but that list looks mostly right, though Kemeny is still quite young (24) so even if he doesn't play for the wallabies next year I wouldn't write him off. I feel like Slipper should be given a sabbatical for next season if we want any chance of him going around in 2025 against the Lions. I worry we may not see much more of Porecki either - he has had a bad run of concussions and his tackle technique seems risky too often - there was one this morning where he got his head in entirely the wrong spot. I hope not though, hooker remains a problem spot and he at least offers some stability there.

From outside the squad I'd add Jake Gordon, I don't think he's ever really been up to international rugby and at 30 I can't see him turning that around. Not with the young talent coming through. The one exception there might be if Tate does a year of 7s, but I'd rather they look to the younger options in that situation. James O'Connor has probably played his last test too, he's lost too much pace for this level and seems more likely to be injured than not come the test season. Folau Fainga'a is headed overseas too so should probably be included, but given our continued struggles at hooker I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

I wonder about Darcy Swain too, he's undoubtedly talented but has a pretty bad reputation now, if can't turn it around in the eyes of selectors he decide it's time to earn some yen/euros instead, particularly as we see players like Salakaia-Loto and Amatosero return to press their claim. If Hockings was to come back that might be the trigger for him leaving. Liam Wright might be in a similar position, though due to injury rather than discipline, but I'm hopefully he'll string a season together without significant injury and keep pushing his case.

There's probably a few older guys who picked up a handful of tests under Rennie who have probably missed their window now too - Campbell, Talakai, Hoskins and McInerney all come to mind, though some of them haven't played in a while so it could be said they've already "departed" from a selection perspective.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I actually don't think we will see Marika in gold again either. Not that he's been bad but he takes up an overseas spot and I think they will call time on him. Possibly one of the reasons Vunivalu was persisted with.
He is at that age where outside backs tend to drop off, it wouldn't be a huge shock. If Sua'ali'i does end up arriving a year earlier that could force Marika out.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Hopefully out of the guys that have played during this WC cycle these are the one's we don't see again:

Slipper
Hooper
Hanigan
Cooper
Foley
Beale
Hodge
Arnold (x2)
Liam Wright
White
Kerevi
Kemeny
Talakai
Hoskins
McInerney
Swinton
Simone
Banks
Gordon (Jake)
Samu
Holloway
Uelese
McMahon
Latu
Lolesio
Sio
Daungunu
Swain
Fainga'a
Phillip
O'Connor
Neville

I'd also add Ben Donaldson to that list if I was coaching the Wallabies but Eddie loves him for whatever reason

From next year hopefully BPA, both Lonergan, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Rodda etc. come back in
I think most of that list is pretty obvious, I'm still not sure about Lolesio though. After seeing Donaldson and Gordon, I feel Noah should be in the mix there. Gordon seems to be the one, but there needs to be a backup too (will Donaldson even be starting at the Force?)

I also think Slipper will still be around. Maybe not every game, but at this rate I feel he still offers so much to the team.

I do hope we dont see whatever the fuck Eddie's supposed "gameplan" was ever again in gold.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He is at that age where outside backs tend to drop off, it wouldn't be a huge shock. If Sua'ali'i does end up arriving a year earlier that could force Marika out.

Didn't Radiki Samu drop off into the back row (from wing)? If Kerevi is only losing speed I'd like to think we could find a role for him.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Didn't Radiki Samu drop off into the back row (from wing)? If Kerevi is only losing speed I'd like to think we could find a role for him.
I was talking about Koroibete there, not Kerevi, but either way I don't see that working. Radike was predominantly a lock/back row who had played a bit of wing when he was younger and filled in at wing for a world cup game against Russia. Marike doesn't have the frame to really make sense shifting to the back row and I can't see why he'd want to when he'll still be getting paid perfectly well to play wing in Japan. Trying to shoe horn in aging players out of position rather than taking the time to develop young ones for those spots is exactly the path we don't want to go down.

I'm not saying he's done for sure and we should toss him on the scrap heap, just agreeing that he probably doesn't have much time left in gold and that it's possible we could have seen the last of him for the Wallabies. He absolutely could come out next year and dominate all comers for selection in the Wallabies again, but the probability of that is turning against him.