• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I know this be a bit heretical, but I would prefer Rugby Australia

1 Get agreement on common goals as to common style of play, get a plan together for a longer form Super Rugby - AU based or extension of current trans/NZ format, don't care, they need more games
2 Get a central contracting system - no warehousing (we don't have enough quality for the Tahs to have 3 good 10s or the ponies have a load of locks etc etc - I like the NZ system - each side picks a core 25, the rest are available to the other sides to become part of their 25), the states are a feeder system for the national side - simple
3 Get a director of rugby to implement the style of play, fitness expectations etc across the country (and fire those not meeting standards)
4 Get a national coach employed to coach the agreed style of play

Hey Fatty. My gut response to this is whoever has been nominated to make a call on "common style of play" has no entitlement to dictate how the Reds (insert your State club here) play rugby. On the other hand, albeit distasteful, given where we are I think I would grit my teeth through that decision making.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't mind the concept of a style of play but it should be implemented through the junior systems to prepare them for the professional arena. This has been done in Soccer in some big European countries.

It wouldn't be as applicable in Super Rugby as teams will have different players who you need to build around. Would be hard to ask Carter Gordon & Tom Lynagh or IFL & Lonergan to execute the same plan and not have one of them suffer. Coaches get sacked first after all

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think there's actually that much benefit of a wholly consistent play style across the super sides and it can potentially harm development and innovation within the game and from coaches here in Australia.

What should be standardized is aspects of coaching, particularly around core skills. Having a consistent methodology and language across the states (and particularly in schools, clubs and age grade) is where the real benefit comes in.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hey Fatty. My gut response to this is whoever has been nominated to make a call on "common style of play" has no entitlement to dictate how the Reds (insert your State club here) play rugby. On the other hand, albeit distasteful, given where we are I think I would grit my teeth through that decision making.
All the states are essentially feeder clubs for the National team, all the club teams are essentially feeder teams for the Super Rugby teams and without a vibrant successful National team there is no money for the feeder clubs (and there will never be enough money - ever)

I am beyond caring what the elderly in blazers on some committee think

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
All the states are essentially feeder clubs for the National team, all the club teams are essentially feeder teams for the Super Rugby teams and without a vibrant successful National team there is no money for the feeder clubs (and there will never be enough money - ever)

I am beyond caring what the elderly in blazers on some committee think
This needs to be reversed or at least shifted a little to be less reliant on the form of one team at the top IMO.

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think there's actually that much benefit of a wholly consistent play style across the super sides and it can potentially harm development and innovation within the game and from coaches here in Australia.

What should be standardized is aspects of coaching, particularly around core skills. Having a consistent methodology and language across the states (and particularly in schools, clubs and age grade) is where the real benefit comes in.
There will always be nuance, but scrummaging, fitness expectations, basic skills, defensive structures, clean out skills, defensive decision making, requirements for work off the ball, kicking skills - what couldn't be improved in any of those areas, by a bit of conformity so when a players gets called up, the National coach isn't having to re-educate the newbie

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
we are closer in model the Cricket than any other sport, the national team is the driver of the $$$$
Yeah I understand but it seems unsustainable particularly when your team is subject to competition with other nations with greater resources.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
There will always be nuance, but scrummaging, fitness expectations, basic skills, defensive structures, clean out skills, defensive decision making, requirements for work off the ball, kicking skills - what couldn't be improved in any of those areas, by a bit of conformity so when a players gets called up, the National coach isn't having to re-educate the newbie
These are all things that should be installed by the U20s and refined after that. We are in a world of shit when we are teaching Pros this stuff.

Fitness/S&C are constantly changing and so are the needs of the player. They need to be seen as individuals when it comes to this.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Most of those are fine and come under the category of coaching curriculum and standardizing how those skills are taught and communicated, but defensive structure isn't one of them.

There are multiple different ways of building and running an effective defence and it's an area of the game that is always evolving. Super coaches need flexibility to build a defensive structure that suits their squad and overall play style and we need these coaches thinking and innovating in that space to drive the game forward here. Otherwise we'll always be stuck following international trends, rather than setting them.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
we are closer in model the Cricket than any other sport, the national team is the driver of the $$$$
Cricket Australia find themselves in a precarious position. Test cricket is on the nose, and overseas T20 comps are on the rise. It could completely destabilise the CA funding arrangements. It's not like there's a whole heap of interest in the Shield these days.

Does that mean we will just end up developing players here and sending them off to club competitions overseas?

They'll need to revitalise the BBL and bring more money back into it if they want to compete. I know it's not a great comparison but who'd have thought the national game would be faced with such problems.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't think Test Cricket is on the nose at all. It probably had a down period as T20 took off but people appreciate the skill more now that the sugar high has worn off from so much T20. Shield has never really drawn much attention since being in the Test side became a 10 month a year job.
Cricket got greedy with the BBL and now it's just a summer screensaver on the TV. You lose on a Tuesday, who cares got a game on Thursday and you get lost in how do I care? Super Rugby did the same thing when they went to conferences.

People appreciate a quality product. Gimmicks only last so long.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cricket Australia find themselves in a precarious position. Test cricket is on the nose, and overseas T20 comps are on the rise. It could completely destabilise the CA funding arrangements. It's not like there's a whole heap of interest in the Shield these days.

Does that mean we will just end up developing players here and sending them off to club competitions overseas?

They'll need to revitalise the BBL and bring more money back into it if they want to compete. I know it's not a great comparison but who'd have thought the national game would be faced with such problems.

We make all our money from playing India and England. I don't think that is going to change.

Does the national game face significant problems? Domestic players are paid far more than they ever have before. Being a contracted state player is now a pretty lucrative position to be in which was never the case historically.

World cricket has had to adjust to accepting that the IPL supersedes international cricket in terms of player availability but that has been the case for a while now.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
We make all our money from playing India and England. I don't think that is going to change.

Does the national game face significant problems? Domestic players are paid far more than they ever have before. Being a contracted state player is now a pretty lucrative position to be in which was never the case historically.

World cricket has had to adjust to accepting that the IPL supersedes international cricket in terms of player availability but that has been the case for a while now.
out of interest does anyone watch the IPL outside of India? Is it becoming like the EPL?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
T20s suck in general. Broad appeal for a shallow level of support.

Good for a couple cans on the hill. That's about it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It may not be the greatest model, but it is our reality

We make it work because it is all we have

But that doesn't mean you don't try to grow the "feeder sides" and make them more self sustainable whilst doing everything possible to make the best National side