• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
All the states are essentially feeder clubs for the National team, all the club teams are essentially feeder teams for the Super Rugby teams and without a vibrant successful National team there is no money for the feeder clubs (and there will never be enough money - ever)

I am beyond caring what the elderly in blazers on some committee think
This is like building a house and starting with the roof

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So that it, let not bother changing it?

How do we do that?

A whole bunch of teams and competitions that have never been money generators are not about to start.

Where is this much different? Many of the best teams in the strongest club competitions in the world have shaky finances and are largely reliant on external funding to remain a going concern.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'll never understand your position BH. Clearly smarter and more informed than most on here (including me, obviously). But you also never fail to defend the status quo - despite it get worse year on year for decades.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
How do we do that?

A whole bunch of teams and competitions that have never been money generators are not about to start.

Where is this much different? Many of the best teams in the strongest club competitions in the world have shaky finances and are largely reliant on external funding to remain a going concern.
The first thing that needs to change is the idea that the only thing that matters is the Wallabies. We wonder why no one really cares about our Super Teams when for years we have been essentially told they don't matter

Fact is it matters the most. We need to build a strong foundation with a club or regional comp that actually means something to fans. Continually looking to simply "fix the wallabies" is ass about face. We need to fix the pathway systems and the national team will fall into place

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'll never understand your position BH. Clearly smarter and more informed than most on here (including me, obviously). But you also never fail to defend the status quo - despite it get worse year on year for decades.

I'm not defending the status quo.

I'm just living in reality.

We need to fix the pathway systems and the national team will fall into place

Where does the money come from?

I would love a stronger domestic competition that sits below test rugby but I don't see how that can happen without a bunch of private owners being willing to pour a lot of money into making it happen over a long period of time.

Team finances are much more difficult here than in places like the UK because teams don't own their own grounds which has been a huge part of teams in certain competitions being able to run effectively despite only getting 5-10k people to each home game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm not defending the status quo.

I'm just living in reality.

Where does the money come from?

I would love a stronger domestic competition that sits below test rugby but I don't see how that can happen without a bunch of private owners being willing to pour a lot of money into making it happen over a long period of time.

Team finances are much more difficult here than in places like the UK because teams don't own their own grounds which has been a huge part of teams in certain competitions being able to run effectively despite only getting 5-10k people to each home game.
Sounds like an excuse to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where does it come from now? Super Rugby sure isn't cheap to run, on top of having to fly to every single away game

A huge advantage for both the AFL & NRL is that half their teams are based in a single city

The money largely is generated by the Wallabies and the fact that this contributes a significant amount of the income of the star players in each Super Rugby team makes it feasible for them to be able to play locally.

Cost of players is the biggest issue. We are already struggling to be competitive against the teams we play because the amount of money we have to spend on players isn't particularly competitive.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I refuse to believe there is no viable way forward that isn't just doing the same thing over. That's some defeatist bullshit.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
If we had more money, would we be better?
If we were better, would we have more money?

Riddle me that one…

…but before you do, let me tell you about a Colts trial game at Penrith a year or two ago.
Loads of people at the game (hundreds) so no shortage of support from the community.
All 3 Penrith grades got flogged sadly.

On the touchlines were many (dozens?) of young men wearing Panthers shirts watching their less-gifted mates doing their best

Stark evidence (if it was needed) that if you’ve got the talent then you go to League, in the non-heartland. Immediate opportunity and money.
So, do we take Crichton’s 800k and spread it around? Or not?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Stark evidence (if it was needed) that if you’ve got the talent then you go to League, in the non-heartland. Immediate opportunity and money.
So, do we take Crichton’s 800k and spread it around? Or not?

One of the first things is to stop buying league players and look to develop our own as the NRL does mostly. ID the bloody talent we have by people with an eye for talent and not well-meaning people with no idea who could possibly make it. Get Bob Dwyer to overlook talent ID for 12 months to get some sense put into what makes no sense at the moment. There should be no limits to where we get talent and I assume there are a couple of unfit guys playing subbies who could make it but have never given it a thought.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree

I think the long term approach (Wallabies First) has demonstrably failed and is not (anyway) sustainable.

How did we end up competing with Europe to attract or retain talent? It's a fools errand.

Let's get a bottom-up system going that we can be proud of, is sustainable and will (eventually) lead us to our natural position on the world rankings - hopefully near the top