• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah to BHs point earlier, we expect players to get back to full form and fitness too fast. I'm sure he has loads more caps in him (if we he wants to be around that is).
I don't think we, as fans, always expect players to return too fast from injury, but the history of Wallaby selections over the years indicates the coaching staff do.

My take re Kerevi, and I suspect a lot of fans probably think the same, is that he needed to show he was back to full fitness and in form before being selected for the Wallabies.

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
I don't think we, as fans, always expect players to return too fast from injury, but the history of Wallaby selections over the years indicates the coaching staff do.

My take re Kerevi, and I suspect a lot of fans probably think the same, is that he needed to show he was back to full fitness and in form before being selected for the Wallabies.
I'd say it's just a product of our depth. Kerevi at his best is by far and above our best 12 (and perhaps best player)- hence the need to get him back in the squad ASAP. We don't have the midfield riches that NZ or SA do. Look at Lukhanyo Am's initial non-selection on injury grounds. FFS we took an injured 19-year-old to France.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
But fans rioted when Cooper & Hooper weren’t picked for those exact reasons

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Looking back at it another 10 or another 3 10s would have done shit for that side.

We couldn't apply consistent pressure to any side. We couldn't put together a maul to save ourselves and our defence has leaked 25+ in 5/9 games in 2023 and only held 2 sides (Georgia & Portugal) to under 20.

Yes we can argue about who should have been there or could have been there but we are arguing points about games that come back to coaching and game plans.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think the issue with Kerevi was because he had been such a key part of our team. It's not like we got substantially better when we replaced him with Foketi.

If our second option was 90% as good as Kerevi at his best I think the choice to rush him back would have been very different.

But fans rioted when Cooper & Hooper weren’t picked for those exact reasons

I think it's a bit different. It wasn't the explosiveness we were really looking for from Cooper like we needed from Kerevi. It was his game management skills which ultimately was our biggest downfall from the 10 options we had.

Hooper wasn't returning from a season long injury. It's fair to argue he was past it but likewise it's pretty reasonable to think that our RWC squad might have performed better overall if we'd had some more experienced heads in the squad like Hooper and Cooper, even if they didn't play a game.

It's not like we would have missed Kemeny and Jorgensen.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Press conference today at Coogee oval - will EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) stay or go?
Who's made the announcement for the presser - RA or Eddie? if it's RA, I reckon he's staying. Coogee Oval sounds like a bit of a sentimental location though, maybe for a farewell.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Its the double standard that makes no sense.

I think that's pretty normal and it's not a double standard. You can't only afford to carry a certain number of players who are underdone so by selecting a couple of them you then make it less likely you're going to select another.

I don't think that's at all unreasonable.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looking back at it another 10 or another 3 10s would have done shit for that side.

We couldn't apply consistent pressure to any side. We couldn't put together a maul to save ourselves and our defence has leaked 25+ in 5/9 games in 2023 and only held 2 sides (Georgia & Portugal) to under 20.

Yes we can argue about who should have been there or could have been there but we are arguing points about games that come back to coaching and game plans.
I mostly agree Ghost. I wasn't suggesting the Wallabies would have made the finals with a fit backup 10, just that the failure to take one was a bigger issue than leaving Quade behind. There were many reasons for the failed operation including playing Petaia at 13 when he clearly didn't understand the defensive aspects of the position, and consequently adopting a defence pattern in the backs that did not work, overtraining the team which led to injuries to our most important forwards, adopting a game plan that saw us work with around a third of possession, failing to replace injured players in the squad, etc etc.

All down to one man who if he has any decency left will no longer be around the Wallabies after today.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
It wasn't just Hooper and Cooper, however I would most certainly have had both of them in the squad (BR I am aware of your low regard for Hooper, which of course hasn't come about just this year) I would also have taken both Lonergans, Neville, Samu, Ikatau and Hodge (and, of course, Rennie!!!)
This may seem like sticking with the past, but this is the side that has been building towards the WC, and while the results have been mixed, they have been better than this year.
The time for renewal is AFTER the WC, not on the eve.
Who would I have left behind? Uelese, Arnold, Kemeny, Gleeson, IFL, Donaldson, Vunivalu and Jorgensen, yes and EJ (Eddie Jones).