• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
It wasn't just Hooper and Cooper, however I would most certainly have had both of them in the squad (BR I am aware of your low regard for Hooper, which of course hasn't come about just this year) I would also have taken both Lonergans, Neville, Samu, Ikatau and Hodge (and, of course, Rennie!!!)
This may seem like sticking with the past, but this is the side that has been building towards the WC, and while the results have been mixed, they have been better than this year.
The time for renewal is AFTER the WC, not on the eve.
Who would I have left behind? Uelese, Arnold, Kemeny, Gleeson, IFL, Donaldson, Vunivalu and Jorgensen, yes and EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones).
Add Schoupp, White & Phillip to that list

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
It wasn't just Hooper and Cooper, however I would most certainly have had both of them in the squad (BR I am aware of your low regard for Hooper, which of course hasn't come about just this year) I would also have taken both Lonergans, Neville, Samu, Ikatau and Hodge (and, of course, Rennie!!!)
This may seem like sticking with the past, but this is the side that has been building towards the WC, and while the results have been mixed, they have been better than this year.
The time for renewal is AFTER the WC, not on the eve.
Who would I have left behind? Uelese, Arnold, Kemeny, Gleeson, IFL, Donaldson, Vunivalu and Jorgensen, yes and EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones).
To be fair, One Lonergan, Neville, Samu and Ikitau (and of course Rennie) were apart of the Italy fiasco, so what exactly they were building to is unclear

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
In all fairness to EJ (Eddie Jones), this is a valid takeaway - and probably the most realistic summary of the situation

“I came into the Wallabies [with] short preparation time, I had to make a quick decision on what we do … I made a decision we’ve got to go with youth. That’s the best [decision] for Australia moving forward, and I still think I made the right decision there.”

“I think those players, we’ve got a lot of good young players there who are going to benefit from that experience at a World Cup … and go onto the 2027 World Cup.”

“Most of them showed during that World Cup that they’ve got enough to go forward and be very good players for Australia … that’s the most positive thing.”

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
“I probably need to give myself an uppercut,”
I wish he showed that much self reflection. The quotes I just read were first an excuse about not having a lot of time and then the justification that he is confident he did the right thing......despite 2 wins in 9 tests.

A "smash and grab" strategy using young, inexperienced players is just spin and marketing bullshit...espeicially after watching the quarters and seeing the teams playing smart tactical footy.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If EJ (Eddie Jones) is sticking around then it's imperative his long term assistants get hired and quickly.

The thing that stood out for me watching the Wallabies this year is that there were fifteen blokes at a time out on the paddock and nearly all of them looked lost. They didn't seem to know what they were doing or even where they should be standing. That's on the coaches.

The formations and shape of the play is determined by the coaching team and there needs to be a much more solidified coaching group and game plan. I know there wasn't a lot of time to put them all together but that's a consequence of firing your head coach nine months before a RWC. That's on RA.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
EJ (Eddie Jones) stuffed the whole year. He said that the Wallabies would win this year, talked about Foster heading down to CentreLink, talked about a smash-and-grab job etc and belittled anyone who questioned his plan or his selections and called them all 'negative' for daring to ask legitimate questions. There is no doubt that this RWC was more about the future than winning it now.

Putting all the Japan stuff aside, it's not hard to accept that perhaps EJs plan for the future had an inevitable heap of pain to start with and he is willing to take all the hits and criticism right now in the hope of building something for 2025 and beyond.

I agree that the coaching team he builds now will be pivotal. He will need results next year. I don't know if that's too soon but people will need to see at least some movement in the right direction if a complete turn-around is not realistic.

Interesting that he seemed a bit anti-centralisation. He was quite clear about pointing out his view on alignment as opposed to centralisation.

For me, 2023 is done....bring on the next phase and best of luck to him.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
I'd say it's just a product of our depth. Kerevi at his best is by far and above our best 12 (and perhaps best player)- hence the need to get him back in the squad ASAP. We don't have the midfield riches that NZ or SA do. Look at Lukhanyo Am's initial non-selection on injury grounds. FFS we took an injured 19-year-old to France.
Have to agree Kerevi was a special case was the best 12 in the game pre injury and our lack of any other decent 12 option forced their hand
Only 30 so can still get back to his best
The gameplan didn’t help as jones has Kerevi kicking the back like a 2nd 10 which I have never seen before where Rennie revolved a lot of his gameplan around Kerevi getting the team on the front foot
SA and ABs have multiple options so don’t need to use injured players
Taking jorgo with 10 games of super rugby and not playing for 5 months was more of a headscratcher

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Don't think he said anything particularly off-putting, or unreasonable. Reality he faces is that the rugby public don't trust him and only results will turn that around. Won't get an opportunity to do that till June next year, and I don't think there's any combination of words which exists that is going to get people onside for him.
Interesting that he seemed a bit anti-centralisation. He was quite clear about pointing out his view on alignment as opposed to centralisation.
My read wasn't that he was anti-centralisation per se, but given negotiations are still ongoing he didn't want to put the cart before the horse and say we need x, y, z specific action. It also just seems apparent that high performance centralisation will happen unless RA and the states bugger it up (wouldn't put it past them) and I can't imagine he's too fussed about centralisation of commerical operations.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
The question is if Rennie delivered these results would he or any other coach still be there? No way
Jones got absolutely nothing right in 2023
Selections, game plan, training etc it goes on
However to replace older players don’t replace them unless you have a better candidate
Next year will tell of any of these younger guys step or fall in a heap
People have short memories koribete being one of the best wingers in the world, irb team of the year and wallabies best player for a few being called out! Kerevi being so dominant at 12 and jones couldn’t figure how to use him! No one would replace Kerevi atm even half fit! I don’t think mcreight did replace hooper, and hooper was irb 7 of the year only a year or two ago and his experience would have been very valuable
Even though Quade, foley and JOC (James O'Connor) have had inconsistent form and are no Dan carters I’m sure they would have outperformed the complete dogs breakfast performance of Donaldson and gorden who were shown to be way out of their depth
Let’s see if these two young guys can recover or fall off the earth

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
You know what - after watching the full presser, fuck it, I'm back aboard the Eddie train.

Assuming the Japan stuff blows over, Eddie is absolutely making the right noises on how to take the Wallabies and Australian Rugby to a better place. As many suspected, it really does seem like it's been all eyes to 2027 all along.

If nothing else, at least being optimistic is much better for my well-being - this place could probably use a bit more positivity too, based on recent weeks' conversations.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It is fascinating how the bloke has never learnt to just stop running his trap. Can't imagine how much trouble he would have saved himself over his career if he was able to zip it at some points. As time passes, his "smash-and-grab" comments were very dumb and really came back to bite him in the arse. If he had known coming into the job he would end up deciding youth was the best way forward, I would think he would have attempted to manage expectations a bit better.