• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Lack of Australian presence in the finals ".

Brumbies have played finals every year since 2014, except 2018. Steve Larkham coach 2014 - 2017, 2023, and Dan McKellar 2018 - 2022. Bernie hasn't yet missed making the finals. Now, there's a presence.
Never been in a GF though in past 9 years and where have the other Aussie teams been at the deep end?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ikitau & Neville both started. Agreed Lonergan was great off the bench, which is why I never understood him being "too small" this year when he wasn't last year

I wasn’t really referring to Neville…

Ikitau started, and Samu and Lonergan both came off the bench, but all three had a big role in that victory.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Certainly not every player needs to be huge and sometimes it's to detriment, but tight 5 players in particular seem to be getting physically monstrous.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And we probably could’ve done with more than one player out there who provided pressure at the breakdown… like every other nation…

It’s all pretty irrelevant anyways as I’m sure he, and anyone else, still would’ve looked lost out there in Eddie’s 4D play.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
No decent lineout options with Bobby V at 6, even though La Rochelle proved what an effective weapon Skelton is yet we refuse to use it. Hooper/Leota allow for another one.
Wilson and Hooper are reasonable options in the lineout as is Wright. If it was Hooper 8. Wright 7 and Valetini 6 I argue that our lineout options would be greater...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hooper isn't an 8. You need someone that can get moving off the back of a scrum immediately.

There are some blokes we have to work around to solve the supposed line out problem and Valetini is one of them. He has consistently been one of the Wallabies best in sides going backwards. He and Bell carried the pack.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_9172.gif

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Hooper isn't an 8. You need someone that can get moving off the back of a scrum immediately.

There are some blokes we have to work around to solve the supposed line out problem and stuffing Valetini is one of them. He has consistently been one of the Wallabies best in sides going backwards. He and Bell carried the pack.
True although having watched the number 8's in the QF, Valetini's lack of footwork into contact is glaring in comparison. He just runs straight into people, much like Harry Wilson, and international defenses are too good for that

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't see an 8 in Aus that offers what other have so I still think he's our best option. He might go straight but he often makes meters. Defensively he is putting good contact in also.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I honestly don’t know why Wilson didn’t get a look in at least for the TRC sure he dosent make enough post contact metres and fitness could be better but his work ethic, defence etc are all good

I’d look at him, Valentini & Gleeson before considering Hooper at 8

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I don't see an 8 in Aus that offers what other have so I still think he's our best option. He might go straight but he often makes meters. Defensively he is putting good contact in also.
Oh I agree he's our best. But he could be so much better with ball in hand. He's got the talent

He makes meters, but it often leads to slow ruck ball as he doesn't attack weak shoulders. If he did he could be as good as anyone in the world

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suspect Hooper will be as good (or better) an 8 as Valetini and I have always thought V was a better 6 than an 8. Jed Holloway was an excellent 8 forced into the row and then as a 6. We need to use players where they are best and not use them to fill holes.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I honestly don’t know why Wilson didn’t get a look in at least for the TRC sure he dosent make enough post contact metres and fitness could be better but his work ethic, defence etc are all good

I’d look at him, Valentini & Gleeson before considering Hooper at 8
Gleeson is only a 7 option at the international level, he runs like an RL player with little smarts about him. Hooper has more upside and Wilson is the better 8 atm. Agree re his weaknesses though and would like to see him progessing faster rather than learning how to run like Bobby V./