• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Regarding Jones’s response about Hooper; even if it is true (and it very well might, the guys been playing top- line rugby for over a decade), why would you even publicly say it? Just say his fitness and form wasn’t up to scratch.

Its obviously disrespectful to a legend, and all it does is bring additional animosity from the public and current/ex players.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Regarding Jones’s response about Hooper; even if it is true (and it very well might, the guys been playing top- line rugby for over a decade), why would you even publicly say it? Just say his fitness and form wasn’t up to scratch.

Its obviously disrespectful to a legend, and all it does is bring additional animosity from the public and current/ex players.
He was in a no win situation there, he has been hounded to explain selection decisions to a much greater degree than previous coaches who usually get away with more wishwashy answers of from, fitness, work ons or "going in a different direction". I definitely don't agree with everything Jones has done, but I don't think the relentless questioning around the Hooper and Cooper exclusions has been particularly constructive or useful.

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
Well, I said to myself I was going to take a 3 month break from here after the RWC final. That time is now. I’ll watch the Eddie soap opera with interest from the sidelines. Have a good festive season everyone, will see you all for 2024 super rugby.
One last game for me… Wales v Barbarians next Saturday at Millenium, Cardiff. Alan Wyn—Jones Michael Hooper …. Then Stan is gone till next year….

Last edited:

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
He was in a no win situation there, he has been hounded to explain selection decisions to a much greater degree than previous coaches who usually get away with more wishwashy answers of from, fitness, work ons or "going in a different direction". I definitely don't agree with everything Jones has done, but I don't think the relentless questioning around the Hooper and Cooper exclusions has been particularly constructive or useful.
I agree… Hooper was past his best… Foley too.. QC (Quade Cooper) returning from an archilles… hardly going to be at his best… don’t think any of them would have changed the results… forwards were terrible… backs no game plan … I think singing ‘Kumbaya’ around the campsite was looking good in hindsight!

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Just because you played test for a decade doesn't mean you can't be criticised when it's warranted. Hooper wasn't the best seven in Australia this year, hell he wasn't the second best. And his record as Wallaby captain is abismal.

Exactly, it's as if these guys who are commenting never watched Hoops play in the last 2 years.

Hooper hadn't been effective at any level since 2021 & there were better alternatives in the loose forwards anyway... leaving Quade out was the real mistake as he still had a lot to contribute to the Wallabies in a position that really required his leadership and astute game management.

Given the nature of the 2023 draw Quade would've almost certainly guided Australia to a 3rd place result (based off where England finished). Rennie's men would've at least returned home with a medal and dignity in-tact.

Last edited:

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Exactly, It's as if these guys who are commenting never watched Hoops play in the last 2 years.

Hooper hadn't even performed well since 2021 and there were better alternatives in the loose forwards, leaving Quade out was the real mistake as he still had a lot to contribute to the Wallabies in a position that really required his leadership and astute game management.

Given the nature of this draw Quade would've likely guided Australia to a 3rd place finish, Rennie's men would've at least returned home with a medal and dignity in-tact.
I hate these types of comparisons because there is no way to confirm or deny what might have happened. We might have still oost to Wales and Fiji if Rennie was still coach. Both those teams played better rugby than I've seen from is in a couple of years.

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
Exactly, it's as if these guys who are commenting never watched Hoops play in the last 2 years.

Hooper hadn't been effective at any level since 2021 and there were better alternatives in the loose forwards, leaving Quade out was the real mistake as he still had a lot to contribute to the Wallabies in a position that really required his leadership and astute game management.

Given the nature of the 2023 draw Quade would've almost certainly guided Australia to a 3rd place finish (based off where England finished), Rennie's men would've at least returned home with a medal and dignity in-tact.
Quade was dumped by Deans, Cheika,Thorn and Jones. I wonder why? It’s all about him. 4 coaches…. Plus… in his last resurrection he was returning from an archilles injury. He would have made zero difference. 4 coaches remember. Enough. Let's all move on….

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I hate these types of comparisons because there is no way to confirm or deny what might have happened. We might have still oost to Wales and Fiji if Rennie was still coach. Both those teams played better rugby than I've seen from is in a couple of years.
Rennie & Fisher's Wallabies put 39 points on Wales playing their injury decimated C team. Eddie's full strength Wobbs managed 6 points even with McLennan providing him with open slather for overseas based players...

Last edited:

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
Rennie and Fisher's Wallabies put 39 points on Wales playing their injury decimated C team. Eddie's full strength Wobbs managed 6 points even with McLennan providing him with open slather for the overseas based players.
Rennie should not have been sacked. That is on McLennan. Hopefully we will be hearing from him soon in his resignation speech!

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Quade reminds me a lot of Danny Cipriani. Players who are clearly very good but realistically unfulfilled talent. Have been through many different environments and it always seems to end up the same way, no matter where they are. At some point you'd think they (and their fans) would wake up and recognise that they are the constant in their career.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Just because you played test for a decade doesn't mean you can't be criticised when it's warranted. Hooper wasn't the best seven in Australia this year, hell he wasn't the second best. And his record as Wallaby captain is abismal.
The criticism wasn’t about form? Criticism of form is completely fair game; but to criticize his commitment to the team and winning is not.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Not the first time Cooper jas been left out for culture. I'm not sure why Hooper should be immune to the same thing.
Hooper is not Quade and never has been? There’s a reason why you’re going to get a lot of ex-players coming out to defend Hooper- the guy is universally respected.

Whats going on here btw? I thought the mods on this site were the rational ones.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
The criticism wasn’t about form? Criticism of form is completely fair game; but to criticize his commitment to the team and winning is not.
If the ARU had sacked Michael Hooper along with Beale and Co back in 2014 & instead retained Link in Australian Rugby would they not be in a much better off position today? Honest question.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
What would they have sacked him for Rodha?
for unlawful impersonation - a second five eight masquerading as an openside flanker? for keeping Pocock, Gill & McMahon out of the Wallabies 7 jersey?

Last edited:

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Jones's comments have nothing to do with ability though. I agree he was done as a starting test 7. But you are telling me he could not contribute more to a squad setting than Jorgo and Kemeney - neither are particularly noted for their leadership qualities or "winning" acumen.

The bottom line is that Hooper has done more for the sport here than anyone else in his time; he shouldn't be subject to snipes like what occurred.

i.e. the issue is the comments and justification not the non-selection itself