• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Obviously new coach needs to come in but it will be interesting to see how Eddies' youngsters and favoured sons will be looked at by an incoming coach. There's a lot about the thinking behind a number of those selections which makes sense when removed from practical reality of the form and injury runs of certain blokes.
Hard to say, but plenty of those "passed over" are gone or on the way out - Hooper, Cooper, Samu, Hodge were all unlikely to feature after this year for example. A few more who were in the squad will either be done or on declining minutes too, so even if the new coach wouldn't have picked the younger guys previously they're more likely to be the ones to come in to fill the void.

As far as Eddie's left field selections least likely to retain their place (in the short term) I'd probably guess Nonggorr, Uelese, Kemeny and Jorgensen. Mostly just because they need more time though.

Vunivalu and Donaldson showed more when picked and are well placed in their respective setups to push there case again next year, so they probably have a better chance of being in the first squad named by the new coach. I have a feeling super rugby form is going to count for a hell of a lot next year though, more than it has on a long time with a need to find momentum from anywhere we can.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hard to say, but plenty of those "passed over" are gone or on the way out - Hooper, Cooper, Samu, Hodge were all unlikely to feature after this year for example. A few more who were in the squad will either be done or on declining minutes too, so even if the new coach wouldn't have picked the younger guys previously they're more likely to be the ones to come in to fill the void.

As far as Eddie's left field selections least likely to retain their place (in the short term) I'd probably guess Nonggorr, Uelese, Kemeny and Jorgensen. Mostly just because they need more time though.

Vunivalu and Donaldson showed more when picked and are well placed in their respective setups to push there case again next year, so they probably have a better chance of being in the first squad named by the new coach. I have a feeling super rugby form is going to count for a hell of a lot next year though, more than it has on a long time with a need to find momentum from anywhere we can.
A little more than nothing is still not very much.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So Wallabies we won't see again.

Definitely:
Hooper, Cooper

Probably:
Samu, Koroibete, Philip, Arnold, Arnold, Hodge

Anyone else?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
You'd think White is probably done.
Suli maybe (even though he was better in the RWC)
Uelese?
All 3 are signed to super teams next year, so I wasn't commenting on form, more so availability. Never know who's going to perform next year.

Uelese with Tupou and Gibbon might be too attractive a unit to break up for the Wallaby bomb squad. Or White and Donaldson could lead the WF to a title and the Wallabies starting halves :O

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Definitely:
Hooper, Cooper

Probably:

Anyone else?
I think we'll probably still see more of White but maybe not a lot. Neville is probably only an outside chance of more caps at this stage. I doubt we'll see more of O'Connor either, particularly given his injury run. I also hope we've seen the last of Jake Gordon, I really don't think he's up to international level and can't see that changing at his age.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think we'll probably still see more of White but maybe not a lot. Neville is probably only an outside chance of more caps at this stage. I doubt we'll see more of O'Connor either, particularly given his injury run. I also hope we've seen the last of Jake Gordon, I really don't think he's up to international level and can't see that changing at his age.
Gordon was a big disappointment to me. He absolutely carried the Tahs at times but that form just never translated to the next level. There was space for him, too.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gordon was a big disappointment to me. He absolutely carried the Tahs at times but that form just never translated to the next level. There was space for him, too.
I think he's just a bit too slow in decision making and not quick enough in his feet to make up for it. It's not an issue for the most part in super rugby but at international level it sees him regularly exposed and out of position/inaccurate, which in turn has lead to too many yellow cards, particularly for a halfback.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Definitely:
Hooper, Cooper

Probably:

Anyone else?
Think there should be a lot but we lack top level players in a lot of positions. I really don't think a guy like Faessler is a Test Rugby player but it seems everyone in Super Rugby has a Wallaby jersey so good luck to him, but you know how in Cricket some players are referred to as a First Class player but not a Test Player? We have a bunch of them

Faessler, Gibbon, Uelese, Foketi, Arnold the list could go on.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
All 3 are signed to super teams next year, so I wasn't commenting on form, more so availability. Never know who's going to perform next year.

Uelese with Tupou and Gibbon might be too attractive a unit to break up for the Wallaby bomb squad. Or White and Donaldson could lead the WF to a title and the Wallabies starting halves :O

Geez i'd love Lachie Anderson to become our Kwagga Smith

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)

Definitely:
Hooper, Cooper

Probably:

Anyone else?
Slipper
Hooper
Hanigan
Cooper
Foley
Beale
Hodge
Arnold (x2)
White
Kerevi
Kemeny
Talakai
Hoskins
McInerney
Swinton
Simone
Banks
Gordon (Jake)
Samu
Holloway
Uelese
McMahon
Latu
Lolesio
Sio
Daungunu
Swain
Fainga'a
Phillip
O'Connor
Neville

Last edited:

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Slipper
Hooper
Hanigan
Cooper
Foley
Beale
Hodge
Arnold (x2)
White
Kerevi
Kemeny
Talakai
Hoskins
McInerney
Swinton
Simone
Banks
Gordon (Jake)
Samu
Holloway
Uelese
McMahon
Latu
Lolesio
Sio
Daungunu
Swain
Fainga'a
Phillip
O'Connor
Neville
I find it very difficult to believe that Slipper will be tossed aside. He's still very clearly number 2 ahead of the likes of Gibbon, Schoupp, Lambert and Robertson (even if he was available)

Hanigan I'm not huge on, but there's generally a place for blokes like him in and around squads when you have the likes of Skelton in the miz.

Kerevi needs a big 9 months or he's not worth seeing again.

Kemeny has been thrust in early, it's unfair to right him off IMO, he's very much a good conventional 6 option.

Swinton needs a brain transplant but has the raw talent to come back

When you don't have the likes of Cooper, Foley or Lealifano you cannot write of Noah, even if I have reservations about his peak.

I don't think Daugunu will push himself ahead of others but I think he'll get an opportunity in the 12 jersey to fix a problematic space for the Rebels and prove his worth.

Swain is another like swinton.

I think Neville is on the opposite side of the ledger to big Sammy: yes he probably won't make it to the next world cup, but he does provide enough to not throw out as an option yet.

Everyone else is fair enough.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think he's just a bit too slow in decision making and not quick enough in his feet to make up for it. It's not an issue for the most part in super rugby but at international level it sees him regularly exposed and out of position/inaccurate, which in turn has lead to too many yellow cards, particularly for a halfback.
He is also more suited as a starter than impact from the bench, but didn’t warrant the starting role

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I find it very difficult to believe that Slipper will be tossed aside. He's still very clearly number 2 ahead of the likes of Gibbon, Schoupp, Lambert and Robertson (even if he was available)

Hanigan I'm not huge on, but there's generally a place for blokes like him in and around squads when you have the likes of Skelton in the miz.

Kerevi needs a big 9 months or he's not worth seeing again.

Kemeny has been thrust in early, it's unfair to right him off IMO, he's very much a good conventional 6 option.

Swinton needs a brain transplant but has the raw talent to come back

When you don't have the likes of Cooper, Foley or Lealifano you cannot write of Noah, even if I have reservations about his peak.

I don't think Daugunu will push himself ahead of others but I think he'll get an opportunity in the 12 jersey to fix a problematic space for the Rebels and prove his worth.

Swain is another like swinton.

I think Neville is on the opposite side of the ledger to big Sammy: yes he probably won't make it to the next world cup, but he does provide enough to not throw out as an option yet.

Everyone else is fair enough.

IMO Hanigan, Hollway and Swinton all better then Hooper at test level - Hooper could go higher but isn't yet.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’m not a fan of him because I think he’s a liability with discipline but if he can get that under control he has game changing ability. We don’t have too many guys that people call a “beast” and have presence.

Love to see him emulate Bell who doesn’t seem to have any discipline issues but you sure notice him physically.