• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Yeah , Swinton is still early days in his career and like Swain can absolutely turn it around. Both of them will need pretty clean super seasons to push their case though.
I don't know if we'll see Swain in a gold jersey for a long time. What he did against NZ in 2022 was horrifying.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That incident aside, Swain and Swinton don’t know how to effectively balance between what they think playing ‘hard’ is and playing within the rules, if someone can coach the stupid penalties and cards out of their game then they could be an asset to the Wallabies, until then they’re both liabilities whose talent doesn’t warrant the risk.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think he's just a bit too slow in decision making and not quick enough in his feet to make up for it. It's not an issue for the most part in super rugby but at international level it sees him regularly exposed and out of position/inaccurate, which in turn has lead to too many yellow cards, particularly for a halfback.
It’s funny that this reputation for yellow cards came from 3 games on a single tour, despite having not received any cards prior or subsequently.

He was never ’exposed’ in his previous body of work including a decent series against the French the year earlier.

The reality is Gordon is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be (nor is he great either). He was also getting selected by Rennie during a time where we occasionally won games- so maybe there’s something there.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I’m not a fan of him because I think he’s a liability with discipline but if he can get that under control he has game changing ability. We don’t have too many guys that people call a “beast” and have presence.

Love to see him emulate Bell who doesn’t seem to have any discipline issues but you sure notice him physically.
How was he for Australia A series and Baabaas discipline wise? Play wise he was great.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't watch so I'd be lying to say anything.

Imagine if he got through a season for the Tahs with only say....1 yellow and injury free. He's ahead of a lot of blokes that could wear the 6 if you just compare attributes.

I'll always be scared of a brain snap. Especially when it seems he can be baited into some of them.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It’s funny that this reputation for yellow cards came from 3 games on a single tour, despite having not received any cards prior or subsequently.

He was never ’exposed’ in his previous body of work including a decent series against the French the year earlier.

The reality is Gordon is not nearly as bad as people make him out to be (nor is he great either). He was also getting selected by Rennie during a time where we occasionally won games- so maybe there’s something there.
3 Yellows and 1 Red in 9 appearances for Australia - a 44% hit rate - sounds a lot like a pattern of behaviour.

Add in another 2 Yellows and another Red across a few seasons of Super and, well....

The most glaring issue is that they have mostly been cards as a result of acts of stupidity

Edit: this is for Swinton, not Gordon - I got lost in the context

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It's waaaay to many for your Halfback. Absolutely crippling to have a position like that binned.

I think he's another guy that falls into the category of "first class" player and not a Test player to borrow from Cricket again.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
3 Yellows and 1 Red in 9 appearances for Australia - a 44% hit rate - sounds a lot like a pattern of behaviour.

Add in another 2 Yellows and another Red across a few seasons of Super and, well....

The most glaring issue is that they have mostly been cards as a result of acts of stupidity
Those sound like Swinton's stats rather than Gordon's, but 3 yellow cards in 20 tests (most off the bench) is still way too high for a halfback. He also has a reasonably high penalty rate in Super Rugby. As @The Ghost of Raelene says, it's the one position you really can't afford to have spending regular time in the bin, you just don't have any coverage as standard.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Those sound like Swinton's stats rather than Gordon's, but 3 yellow cards in 20 tests (most off the bench) is still way too high for a halfback. He also has a reasonably high penalty rate in Super Rugby. As @The Ghost of Raelene says, it's the one position you really can't afford to have spending regular time in the bin, you just don't have any coverage as standard.
Yeah just realised I missed the context after Ghost’s post - edited to reflect that.

Agreed re Gordon - not worth the risk, especially when there are other 9s available of roughly equal standard

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
We don't have the talent in the squad to carry guys that are card risks. 15 on 15 we are struggling put a Swain and a Swinton in the 15 and the odds of being a player down is too great. The big issue is that both have shown that the opposition can get into their heads and at International level there are some first rate bastards that will enjoy every second of it. Etzebeth would set up a permanent camp in Swinton's frontal lobe.

AdelaideRugby84

Chris McKivat (8)
Bring in Bernie. Let him pick as many Brumbies as he wants. We get a win-win outcome:

Wallabies start winning games
OR
We get to absolutely give it to the Brumbies rabble on here.

Tbh I'm still weighing up which I prefer...
I'm a Tahs fan but I have to agree with this.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
We don't have the talent in the squad to carry guys that are card risks. 15 on 15 we are struggling put a Swain and a Swinton in the 15 and the odds of being a player down is too great. The big issue is that both have shown that the opposition can get into their heads and at International level there are some first rate bastards that will enjoy every second of it. Etzebeth would set up a permanent camp in Swinton's frontal lobe.

while i agree with everything you said is there anyone that Eben isn't in the head of?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Swinton doesn't get riled up by the opposition. He's just way too loose and reckless in his tackle technique. I certainly don't recall him being baited like Swain was playing for the Wallabies.

I still think Swinton has something to add to the Wallabies. His form against South Africa was brilliant and showed what he was capable of if he could keep from straying too far over the line.

You'd want to see a full, disciplined season of Super Rugby from him before you selected him though.

Probably a bit of bias but I'm not as fussed by Swain. He doesn't have anything several other players don't have.

Last edited:

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Swinton doesn't get riled up by the opposition. He's just way too loose and reckless in his tackle technique. I certainly don't recall him being baited like Swain was playing for the Wallabies.

I still think Swinton has something to add to the Wallabies. His form against South Africa was brilliant and showed what he was capable of if he could keep from straying too far over the line.

You'd want to see a full, disciplined season of Super Rugby from him before you selected him though.

Probably a bit of bias but I'm not as fussed by Swain. He doesn't have anything several other players don't have.
You definitely don't need the probably there mate