• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Agree. French Rugby would pay far more than the NRL.. then just pick him for the Wallabies from there. More of our young players should do that. More games, more money and it worked for South Africa. Super Rugby goes from February until mid June? Not long enough and not enough games for the players…
I am starting to agree with this
They need to turn super into home and away and get more games into players and bigger squads.
If they can’t do that then overseas more of an option for players.
Reality is I’m not convinced super is better than English league or top 14. It’s better than most of URC (I think?) and better than japan

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think he's better than average too but he's not a unicorn and we can replace him. He's probably just as good as a league winger whereas Koiroibete for example was able to do more in Rugby.
Have you seen Koribete consistently break tackles in the last couple of years?

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
I am starting to agree with this
They need to turn super into home and away and get more games into players and bigger squads.
If they can’t do that then overseas more of an option for players.
Reality is I’m not convinced super is better than English league or top 14. It’s better than most of URC (I think?) and better than japan
A full home and away schedule of Super Rugby would be a start. That’s 24 games. A prelim round between Aussie franchises could be added?

Not sure about this hype?

”Super Rugby Pacific continues to set the bar as the most entertaining professional club competition in the world and it’s exciting to launch the draw for 2024,” Super Rugby Pacific Tournament Director Matt Barlow said.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Have you seen Koribete consistently break tackles in the last couple of years?
Note the past tense in my post. An extension of my point is that whilst we need good wingers to replace Koroibete, Nawaqanitawase is not of that same calibre and doesn't require RA to sacrifice huge amounts of resources to do so.

If he wants to go and a good offer can't make him stay, who really cares? I do agree with others though that this is negotiating tactics. He'd get more in Japan or France than the Roosters.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
I know this is a radical thought bubble, but maybe some of the up and coming players with young families would prefer to play in a domestic competition with limited travel??

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I really think only elite players make choices based around their external situation from what I've seen because they will get paid wherever they chose to play.

The up and coming player will go where the work is.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think he’s very good and he goes working off the ball which not all wingers do. I don’t think he’s worth north of $500k to a league team tho. But my point stands that Hamish should temper this against league rhetoric because they have more money and more teams than us and kicking the hornets nest isn’t a good idea.

I think signing JS is a bad idea and appointing Eddie was a bad idea and taunting nrl is a bad idea so whilst I think Hamish stays for continuity he does appear to be a bit of an idiot.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I know this is a radical thought bubble, but maybe some of the up and coming players with young families would prefer to play in a domestic competition with limited travel??
This is definitely true. The domestic / nz comp helps having removed SA and arg travel there. After that you only travel globally for a month end of year and a couple trips in championship. That’s to go play the best in the world. On that basis I think the travel situation now is not too bad or that much worse than nrl

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think he’s very good and he goes working off the ball which not all wingers do. I don’t think he’s worth north of $500k to a league team tho. But my point stands that Hamish should temper this against league rhetoric because they have more money and more teams than us and kicking the hornets nest isn’t a good idea.

I think signing JS is a bad idea and appointing Eddie was a bad idea and taunting nrl is a bad idea so whilst I think Hamish stays for continuity he does appear to be a bit of an idiot.
I like this part. Why pick fights? I know they crave media attention but seriously why bother. Most players and fans watch both sports even if they have a favourite.

I know it's a proposed idea but we really don't need more competition for players. They can say NFL and whoever else but we know the main target will be the comparable sport in their backyard.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agree. French Rugby would pay far more than the NRL.. then just pick him for the Wallabies from there. More of our young players should do that. More games, more money and it worked for South Africa. Super Rugby goes from February until mid June? Not long enough and not enough games for the players…
True and when you factor in the mins they play it is even less.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's clearly a negotiating tactic for Nawaqanitawase.

He only signed on to the end of 2024 because they couldn't agree on a longer term deal. He's backed the fact that his career was on an upward trajectory and certainly that has so far come to fruition.

I think the dissatisfaction with RA is real but I also think it's easily turned around. Once a new coach gets appointed everyone will move on because the lure of the Lions series and home RWC are real.

I predict he'll ultimately sign with RA but I also expect he's positioning himself to be signed as a key Wallaby who can be one of the faces of rugby in Australia (which I also think is reasonable. He's pretty marketable).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think it's clearly a negotiating tactic for Nawaqanitawase.

He only signed on to the end of 2024 because they couldn't agree on a longer term deal. He's backed the fact that his career was on an upward trajectory and certainly that has so far come to fruition.

I think the dissatisfaction with Rugby Australia is real but I also think it's easily turned around. Once a new coach gets appointed everyone will move on because the lure of the Lions series and home RWC are real.

I predict he'll ultimately sign with Rugby Australia but I also expect he's positioning himself to be signed as a key Wallaby who can be one of the faces of rugby in Australia (which I also think is reasonable. He's pretty marketable).
Its grim that the only things keeping people in Australian rugby are temporary (and could end up being disasters as well).

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I like this part. Why pick fights? I know they crave media attention but seriously why bother. Most players and fans watch both sports even if they have a favourite.

I know it's a proposed idea but we really don't need more competition for players. They can say NFL and whoever else but we know the main target will be the comparable sport in their backyard.
The exemption for union players doesn't really make much sense does it? Imagine if the richer clubs like the Roosters went and signed Jordie Barrett, Nawqanitawase and Valetini outside their salary cap that other teams couldn't afford. The salary cap exists for a reason, not to be skirted by certain rich clubs that can pull union players.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They need to fill squads and try not have blow outs when they bring in another side. Salary Cap is fine and has served its purpose to a point but they also have a 3 x winner Penrith, storm and the Roosters who went back-to-back as the last 6 titles.

The NRL would rather have the Roosters play the Broncos every year over seeing the Titans v Sharks.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Note the past tense in my post. An extension of my point is that whilst we need good wingers to replace Koroibete, Nawaqanitawase is not of that same calibre and doesn't require Rugby Australia to sacrifice huge amounts of resources to do so.

If he wants to go and a good offer can't make him stay, who really cares? I do agree with others though that this is negotiating tactics. He'd get more in Japan or France than the Roosters.
You missed my point- Koribete isn’t a strike winger in the old fashioned way of being evasive and breaking tackles; he’s a workrate winger. Koribete‘s value comes from his huge work rate off the ball. I’d argue Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is of a different but equal caliber because we needs guys who can beat a man.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I predict he'll ultimately sign with Rugby Australia but I also expect he's positioning himself to be signed as a key Wallaby who can be one of the faces of rugby in Australia (which I also think is reasonable. He's pretty marketable).
Ultimately going to league would be a pretty high-risk move for him. Unless there’s a material difference in pay (or he loves the sport) I wouldn’t take it..

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
A full home and away schedule of Super Rugby would be a start. That’s 24 games. A prelim round between Aussie franchises could be added?

Not sure about this hype?

”Super Rugby Pacific continues to set the bar as the most entertaining professional club competition in the world and it’s exciting to launch the draw for 2024,” Super Rugby Pacific Tournament Director Matt Barlow said.

24 rounds of super rugby is way too much.

Rather investigate the NRC rebirth or club rugby on steroids.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The exemption for union players doesn't really make much sense does it? Imagine if the richer clubs like the Roosters went and signed Jordie Barrett, Nawqanitawase and Valetini outside their salary cap that other teams couldn't afford. The salary cap exists for a reason, not to be skirted by certain rich clubs that can pull union players.
I fills column inches in the off season and gets them clicks

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
I feel like its something vlandys would do. He seems into fan service and actually getting things done. There already talk about there not being enough quality to fill the NRL teams.

A scheme like this would fix things and 100% bring in more eye balls. Especially if they get international union players. I would be more inclined to tune into more NRL games if former Union stars where playing.