• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I would like to propose that the Wallabies have a trial game at the start of every test season. It can be the Super Rugby Wallabies vs Overseas Wallabies. This way you can get a better idea of whether players like Richie Arnold are actually better than Phillip/Neville etc or just appear better because they play in France. Then you select the team after that.

Anyone who plays overseas should be available for selection. e.g. if Nathan Cleary signed for Saracens or Toulon then we should be able to pick him from day 1 if he is good.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
You wouldn't have an opportunity to play it due to the test windows and when players have to be released.
Yes that is true. I guess my concern is how do you gauge the form of these players. If Quade or Kerevi are beating up Japanese players does that make them better than Noah or Paisami playing against Crusaders/Chiefs etc. I don't think we have got this right in the past by picking overseas players who haven't performed.

Also out of interest what happens if Beale carves up in France, is he still up for selection?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
His trial is in January so that needs to be decided before he’s considered I’m sure.

Can only play who is in front of you. It's a hard question to answer and you reputation upon leaving holds more sway than your current form if you are in Japan I think.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
It is very much time to move beyond KB (Kurtley Beale) and QC (Quade Cooper). I can handle maybe he should’ve been included in the World Cup squad but yikes. Come 2024 neither should be near a gold jersey.
Need an experienced 10? Pay giteau to attend the camps and the home games

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I would prefer a focus on Maddox.
Maddocks has been playing some good footy and looks to have physically grown out as well. Being listed now as 96kg and along with being 194cm. Couldn't have been anything above 90kg when he was with the Rebels and Tahs.

I would like to see him back in Australia but I still see him as more of a Winger if ever at Test level again although at Pau he's the starting 15 when fit. 20/20 starts last year and 6/6 this year.

Only 26 so he is coming into the best years physically. He was debuted far too early when you look back on it. He wasn't ready at 21 for Test Rugby.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Maddocks has been playing some good footy and looks to have physically grown out as well. Being listed now as 96kg and along with being 194cm. Couldn't have been anything above 90kg when he was with the Rebels and Tahs.

I would like to see him back in Australia but I still see him as more of a Winger if ever at Test level again although at Pau he's the starting 15 when fit. 20/20 starts last year and 6/6 this year.

Only 26 so he is coming into the best years physically. He was debuted far too early when you look back on it. He wasn't ready at 21 for Test Rugby.
He had a great game against Toulouse the other week, I forget how massive his boot is.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Probably an issue if we did want him back. He's performing well in the Top 14 so his price would be pretty high.
Always the case with us. We let them go then happy to pay top dollar to get them back. It's like selling a house in a lesser suburb in Sydney then buying it back in a couple of years for a million more than you sold for.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

No Ghost, he's a good fullback and was always thus.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Always the case with us. We let them go then happy to pay top dollar to get them back. It's like selling a house in a lesser suburb in Sydney then buying it back in a couple of years for a million more than you sold for.

The player's market value at the time is all that is relevant. When Jack Maddocks went to France his play wasn't at the level that warranted Rugby Australia and the Waratahs paying anywhere close to what he could get in France. There's no cost saving achieved in 2025 onwards if we'd been paying Jack Maddocks for the last few years in Australia.

Your analogy is poor. A better house related analogy would be that the intervening owner renovated and added an extra story and now you're buying the house back.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
No Ghost, he's a good fullback and was always thus.
You're probably right and he's sowing it in the Top 14. Most of my memories are from his Super Rugby playing days where he was still flighty in style.

Looking around our franchises he gets a start at most. Or, is at at least equal to whoever you might have at 15.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
You're probably right and he's sowing it in the Top 14. Most of my memories are from his Super Rugby playing days where he was still flighty in style.

Looking around our franchises he gets a start at most. Or, is at at least equal to whoever you might have at 15.
Does he? I'd say he's not obviously better than Kellaway, Wright and Jorgensen, almost Campbell too.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Only my opinion but I'd say he would be equal to or better than them right now. Kellaway is probably the one I wouldn't say better than and Jorgo will go past him I think but still only 19.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Luckily it is an opinion site and DC and you only have an opinion like mine. I wouldn't like to put my money on a guess on where he would end up if he was back here. I don't think Kellaway would be in front of him and Wright is marked as never to play FB again after his last efforts.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The player's market value at the time is all that is relevant. When Jack Maddocks went to France his play wasn't at the level that warranted Rugby Australia and the Waratahs paying anywhere close to what he could get in France. There's no cost saving achieved in 2025 onwards if we'd been paying Jack Maddocks for the last few years in Australia.

Your analogy is poor. A better house related analogy would be that the intervening owner renovated and added an extra story and now you're buying the house back.
Nope the analogy is sound. What would you make on the house IF you had done the reno's????? This is our problem in a nutshell, we have zero ability to ID them and no systems to build (reno) them!