• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Am I right in thinking our mid year tests next year are against Wales and Fiji? I think I read that somewhere, ironic if true.

I think we should leave all the foreigners out of the mid year tests and the RC to build up our local stocks, but bring a quota (3?) in for the EOYT. I realise you haven't included any in yours UTR.

Part of me thinks that Eddie genuinely didn't have enough time to get the new strategy aligned in the RWC playing group and that's why players like Kerevi and Koroibete didn't fire, but it's time to move on from them anyway.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
May I just clarify if Eddie in fact lied on International television in the press conference, or just used words that dodged the truth.

News reports - Eddie DID have a zoom interview with JRFU (not allegedly, DID)
Reporter asks Eddie if he did in post match conference: Eddie responds "don't know what you are talking about mate"
Reporter asks Eddie if he has a follow up interview planed: Eddie respond "I'm committed to coaching the wallabies next year"

Hamish comes out saying that a talk between JRFU and Eddie DID happen, but it was JRFU offering Eddie the job which Eddie claims he turned down.

Now it is being taken that Eddies comments post conference were a DENIAL. Were they a flat out denial and therefore a blatant LIE? OR... if the zoom talk was not in fact an interview, but an approach by the JRFU, does Eddie by right have the ability to say "i dont know what you are talking about" in reference to an interview, dodging the facts but still technically not a lie as it was not an interview.

Eddie repeated that he is committed to coaching the wallabies next year. Was this a sign of commitment, or a technicality as he is in fact under contract

Eddie said he took umbridge to the implication he isn't committed to australian rugby. However you can still want australian rugby to improved and be committed to that sentiment whilst being employed elsewhere.

For me - he did lie in the press conference, and is answering the other questions like a politician dodging the meat.

Basically - DID you interview for another job? - response "i want australian rugby to do better"

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Am I right in thinking our mid year tests next year are against Wales and Fiji? I think I read that somewhere, ironic if true.

I think we should leave all the foreigners out of the mid year tests and the RC to build up our local stocks, but bring a quota (3?) in for the EOYT.
3 game home series v Wales

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Reporter asks Eddie if he has a follow up interview planed: Eddie respond "I'm committed to coaching the wallabies next year"
Go watch it again - Eddie refused to say “next year” even when pressed on it, simply saying “I’m committed to coaching the Wallabies - that’s all I can say”

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I think Skelton will still be in the picture for 2025, whilst the Canhams of the world keep building. We've just seen the results of moving on from the old heads entirely and being out muscled. I'll stick with your 35, and leave foreigners out also

Hookers - BPA, Faessler, Uelese
Props - AAA, Tupou, Bell - Pone, Hodgman & Eloff (think he is eligible next year?)
*I don't rate nonggoor or Gibbon and Robertson is studying medicine in the UK
Locks - Rodda, Frost, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Canham
Backrow - Gleeson, Valetini, Hooper, Leota, Mcreight, Holloway/Swinton
Halfbacks - Mcdermott, Lonergan, IFL
Flyhalves - Gordon, Donaldson, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)!!
Centres - Foketi, Paisami, Ikitau, Perese, Petaia
Outside - Jorgenson, Markymark, Kellaway, Wright, Vunivalu

AAA we might not get back next yr with a ruptured achilles, Eloff moved to the Rebels for the start on the 2020 season. Whats the stand down now 4 or 5 yrs?

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think Skelton will still be in the picture for 2025, whilst the Canhams of the world keep building. We've just seen the results of moving on from the old heads entirely and being out muscled. I'll stick with your 35, and leave foreigners out also

Hookers - BPA, Faessler, Uelese
Props - AAA, Tupou, Bell - Pone, Hodgman & Eloff (think he is eligible next year?)
*I don't rate nonggoor or Gibbon and Robertson is studying medicine in the UK
Locks - Rodda, Frost, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Canham
Backrow - Gleeson, Valetini, Hooper, Leota, Mcreight, Holloway/Swinton
Halfbacks - Mcdermott, Lonergan, IFL
Flyhalves - Gordon, Donaldson, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)!!
Centres - Foketi, Paisami, Ikitau, Perese, Petaia
Outside - Jorgenson, Markymark, Kellaway, Wright, Vunivalu
Would certainly look at Harry Hockings and Opeti Helu, both very physical players, we got sadly found out in the lock position with any form of physicality at the collision, Frost is ok at the lineout and support play, the rest he relies on the tight 5 to do the hard yards. Hockings will give you a lot more in this area. I do like how Canham is developing as well

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I honestly am not that fussed if he had a zoom meeting with the jrfu. If he wants to go he will go. If he doesn’t, he won’t.
I personally think worse of the journo who would break that story before the World Cup intentionally aiming to affect wallabies.
Who doesn’t accept a call re a job? Find out what you’re worth…
Also. Do we know it wasn’t a call asking Eddie for his thoughts on who he might recommend?
Move on from that I think.
The issue is so the players back him and can he get the right support to properly build. Let’s face it. Hooper, cooper, samu, Bernard are all done now anyways. Maybe foley sneaks in another test. Maybe not.
I would definitely have JOC (James O'Connor) around for mentoring. I’d definitely be bringing in Bernie, Gits, Burke, Horan, Eales, etc a couple times a year to get around the young lads and talk about performing under pressure etc

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
My thoughts about Eddie and the Japanese: Eddie understands Japanese culture far better than most of us, and he has managed to do some work there between seasons. Keeping lines of communication open is always the sensible choice, maybe the polite one.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I honestly am not that fussed if he had a zoom meeting with the jrfu. If he wants to go he will go. If he doesn’t, he won’t.
I personally think worse of the journo who would break that story before the World Cup intentionally aiming to affect wallabies.
Also. Do we know it wasn’t a call asking Eddie for his thoughts on who he might recommend?
The issue is so the players back him and can he get the right support to properly build. Let’s face it. Hooper, cooper, samu, Bernard are all done now anyways. Maybe foley sneaks in another test. Maybe not.
I would definitely have JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) around for mentoring. I’d definitely be bringing in Bernie, Gits, Burke, Horan, Eales, etc a couple times a year to get around the young lads and talk about performing under pressure etc
Tom not very Decent

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tom not very Decent

The blowback at journalists for doing their job is incredible.

It was a big story and one that hasn't been properly resolved.

He's not a cheerleader for Australian Rugby. He doesn't owe it to anyone to sit on a real story that is very much in the public interest just because it's negative in its nature.

I also think you're kidding yourself if you don't think all these guys are pretty passionate about Australian Rugby. It just doesn't work to be attending so many games and press conferences and dedicating so much of your time to it without also being pretty invested in it.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sure, he was just doing his job...But he chose to release a story that could undoubtedly harm the Wallabies the day before the biggest test match in 20 years. He could have saved it till after the game and got the exact same clicks and attention. This isn't politics, it's sport. The public interest criteria is not the same, it's not like he's sitting on a story of mass public corruption - its a story of a bloke having a job interview, at the end of the day. Fundamentally, there was no need for him to release it when he did. It was a deliberate choice designed to prey upon and enhance the negative feeling around Australian Rugby, and it did the players no favours.

Two people (Eddie and Tom Decent) can be flogs at once, and one can be more of a flog than the other. Doesn't mean they are both not flogs.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I would definitely have JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) around for mentoring. I’d definitely be bringing in Bernie, Gits, Burke, Horan, Eales, etc a couple times a year to get around the young lads and talk about performing under pressure etc

Right? Also, dont you want to have people that other people want to hire? He hasn't done a good job this year but other people wanting to hire your staff is surely better than the alternative

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sure, he was just doing his job...But he chose to release a story that could undoubtedly harm the Wallabies the day before the biggest test match in 20 years. He could have saved it till after the game and got the exact same clicks and attention. This isn't politics, it's sport. The public interest criteria is not the same, it's not like he's sitting on a story of mass public corruption - its a story of a bloke having a job interview, at the end of the day. Fundamentally, there was no need for him to release it when he did. It was a deliberate choice designed to prey upon and enhance the negative feeling around Australian Rugby, and it did the players no favours.

Two people (Eddie and Tom Decent) can be flogs at once, and one can be more of a flog than the other. Doesn't mean they are both not flogs.

Rugby Australia isn't his employer. It's pretty unlikely it was his decision when it was published and if he was the only journo within the 9/Fairfax stable that knew about the story and sat on it his employer would have probably been justified in firing him.

You are trying to simultaneously argue that Eddie Jones having a job interview with Japan wasn't a big deal but the story being released was so harmful that it affected the Wallabies on the eve of the match. You can't have it both ways.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
The blowback at journalists for doing their job is incredible.

It was a big story and one that hasn't been properly resolved.

He's not a cheerleader for Australian Rugby. He doesn't owe it to anyone to sit on a real story that is very much in the public interest just because it's negative in its nature.

I also think you're kidding yourself if you don't think all these guys are pretty passionate about Australian Rugby. It just doesn't work to be attending so many games and press conferences and dedicating so much of your time to it without also being pretty invested in it.
But that's the thing, he did sit on the story, until the night before the Welsh game

If it's all about 'journalistic integrity' why not just release it straight away

And now he is re-posting "body language experts" opinion that Eddie is lying

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But that's the thing, he did sit on the story, until the night before the Welsh game

If it's all about 'journalistic integrity' why not just release it straight away

And now he is re-posting "body language experts" opinion that Eddie is lying

None of us have any idea when the story was at a stage where it was verified to the extent that they were happy to publish.

We know that they put the questions to Rugby Australia and Eddie Jones in the last week and were rebuffed. Clearly it was poor management of the situation that they didn't respond.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
None of us have any idea when the story was at a stage where it was verified to the extent that they were happy to publish.

We know that they put the questions to Rugby Australia and Eddie Jones in the last week and were rebuffed. Clearly it was poor management of the situation that they didn't respond.
Just a wonderful coincidence was it?

These journo's are just ambulance chasers. And where was this award winning journalism when Matt Tayler & Scott Wisemantel resigned out of nowhere? The coverage of and attempts to play 'got ya' with Eddie's seems far more vitriolic than it was with Rennie