• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just a wonderful coincidence was it?

These journo's are just ambulance chasers. And where was this award winning journalism when Matt Tayler & Scott Wisemantel resigned out of nowhere? The coverage of and attempts to play 'got ya' with Eddie's seems far more vitriolic than it was with Rennie

Morgan Turinui said he rang Decent to blast him for doing it at that time & TD gave him some pretty good answers back,

He sat on it for 3 days crossing every T & dotting ever I to make sure it was 100% correct
He gave RA right of reply before he went with it & they completely brushed him
He then said this was the biggest story of his career & even if he was slightly wrong he looses any credibility & prob his job.

Say what you will about TD i personally dont think much of him he comes across a bit of an arrogant priv school kid but other than Dupont this is the biggest story in rugby around the world he had to break it before someone else did

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Morgan Turinui said he rang Decent to blast him for doing it at that time & TD gave him some pretty good answers back,

He sat on it for 3 days crossing every T & dotting ever I to make sure it was 100% correct
He gave Rugby Australia right of reply before he went with it & they completely brushed him
He then said this was the biggest story of his career & even if he was slightly wrong he looses any credibility & prob his job.

Say what you will about TD i personally dont think much of him he comes across a bit of an arrogant priv school kid but other than Dupont this is the biggest story in rugby around the world he had to break it before someone else did
That's great, but these guys need to pick a lane.

One day they are investigative journalist's, and the next they are opinion giving pundits. Guys like Decent (not just him) have brought their personal opinions to the fore so much, that it becomes very hard to tell when they are stating facts and when they are stating opinions

Reporters are not supposed to be involved in opinion pieces for this exact reason. Obvious lack of impartiality

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

One day they are investigative journalist's, and the next they are opinion giving pundits. Guys like Decent (not just him) have brought their personal opinions to the fore so much, that it becomes very hard to tell when they are stating facts and when they are stating opinions

Reporters are not supposed to be involved in opinion pieces for this exact reason. Obvious lack of impartiality

hmm I see your view but I don't think you can expect journo's not to have an opinion now days.

Judge him on his record of getting things wrong, he certainly makes less mistakes than our fowards when defending in our own half

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
hmm I see your view but I don't think you can expect journo's not to have an opinion now days.

Judge him on his record of getting things wrong, he certainly makes less mistakes than our fowards when defending in our own half
Why not? It's one of the 7 standards of journalism

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

They're both and it's generally pretty clear what they're doing in a particular article.

There aren't enough rugby journos in the game that we are going to have people sitting on either side of the fence.

There are a few historically who have only written opinion pieces but they are literally dying out and/or are pretty detached from everything that is going on.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
They're both and it's generally pretty clear what they're doing in a particular article.

There aren't enough rugby journos in the game that we are going to have people sitting on either side of the fence.

There are a few historically who have only written opinion pieces but they are literally dying out and/or are pretty detached from everything that is going on.
They shouldn't be both, that's the point

Fact is, we all know from the opinion's Tom Decent has given that he isn't a fan of Eddie Jones. So obviously his intentions and ethics are going to be called into question when he turns into Mr. journalist

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)
The problem is for sports journos in Aus; rugby is part of the journey, not the destination. Decent is a cricket tragic. That's his goal and I guess landing stories like this pads his CV.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I have no doubt that Tom Decent published his story at the earliest moment he was able to verify the facts.

The idea that he sat on it until the eve of the Welsh test, risking his own exclusive, is stuff of fantasy.

Those were his words according to Morgan T via between 2 posts.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I have no doubt that Tom Decent published his story at the earliest moment he was able to verify the facts.

The idea that he sat on it until the eve of the Welsh test, risking his own exclusive, is stuff of fantasy.
Who in the world would out scoop him? All the rugby 'journos' are as thick as thieves

Impartiality would be an issue in this case if it involved a proper journalist

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Who in the world would out scoop him? All the rugby 'journos' are as thick as thieves

Impartiality would be an issue in this case if it involved a proper journalist
Who would outscoop Decent about a Wallabies coach having an interview with another country on the eve of a World Cup? Yeah can’t think of anyone…

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Go watch it again - Eddie refused to say “next year” even when pressed on it, simply saying “I’m committed to coaching the Wallabies - that’s all I can say”
Yeh don't think I need to watch it again as I think it's the same point. He was saying he's committed - not that he WILL be.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, I don't think we have any choice. We cannot afford to pay him out and hire anyone good. Kind of a shit sandwich, really.
Now, where to find some good assistants...
How long do you think they'd last? After all, there is a bit of history with Eddie and Assistants.