• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Kerevi and koribete haven’t been at their best this RWC but no need to drop them
God we are quick to forget hooper was the best 7 in the world in 2021 and has won multiple wallabies player of the year awards, irb number 7 and also in contention for player of the year
Same with korobete as a winger for wallabies and irb winger of the year
And Kerevi 2021-22 best centre in the game
Then a quite game or two and they need to be droppped?
for who? If you can’t replace them with a Better player don’t
We will send out under 20s to the next RWC the way this is going

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ironically given our 2023 form, I don't think we'll get many better chances than next year to win a Bledisloe. The Kiwis will be moving on from Smith, Mo'unga and Barrett. I rate Roigard a lot, but think he's pretty green at test level. I also don't think DMac is on the level of their other ABs 10s. Jordan at Full Back is pretty scary though. Add in a coaching change and they will be a different outfit next year. Will be far more of a rebuild than the typical continuity they are used to. No doubt it will come good, Razor is an outstanding coach. But it might take their new team a little while to fully find their feet.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
He is a physical beast who has looked lost with what the 2023 Wallabies are attempting to do, like many others.
He will be playing high level rugby for at least another 4 years and probably longer. His official announcement of retiring from test rugby likely means with Australia. If he is still playing at a similar level in 4 years Fiji will come calling.
He has remained one of our first picked players.
Missing tackles is not a result of a poor game plan... Sure he's a great player but he has dropped off this year. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) plays the same position and didn't look nearly as lost as he did.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Ironically given our 2023 form, I don't think we'll get many better chances than next year to win a Bledisloe. The Kiwis will be moving on from Smith, Mo'unga and Barrett. I rate Roigard a lot, but think he's pretty green at test level. I also don't think DMac is on the level of their other ABs 10s. Jordan at Full Back is pretty scary though. Add in a coaching change and they will be a different outfit next year. Will be far more of a rebuild than the typical continuity they are used to. No doubt it will come good, Razor is an outstanding coach. But it might take their new team a little while to fully find their feet.
Auckland is the away game in 2024 so no.

This was the year to do it with NZ in shaky form and a Dunedin fixture.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unfortunately I put us at zero chance of a Bledisloe next year.

This year was our chance with no Eden Park game & unfortunately we blew it

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree with you that it's a monumental loss. Koroibete played poorly this year but the loss we are feeling is from a guy who was consistently one of our best players across the last few years and is the reigning John Eales Medalist. We very much felt the loss at the RWC.

Which is a reasonable part of why the team was so poor. When your team already isn't good the downside of players who are regularly among your best being mediocre is pretty severe.

I certainly wouldn't discard Kerevi yet. It is incredibly common for someone coming back from an ACL to take quite a while to really get their dynamism back. It would be premature to say he's done based on his test play this year.
I think Kerevi is past his use by date for the Wallabies, not just on playing form but that his style at 12 could be a thing of the past. Backline play must become more nuanced and versatile from the big, hit it up, crash ball style of 12 when every opposition knows at least 90% of the time what the play is going to be. I just don't think Samu K has that in him.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Missing tackles is not a result of a poor game plan... Sure he's a great player but he has dropped off this year. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) plays the same position and didn't look nearly as lost as he did.
MM wasnt tasked to do the same thing as Marika. the whole defensive set up was terrible, one of the reasons there were so many missed tackles. almost back to the Cheika plan.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Kerevi is past his use by date for the Wallabies, not just on playing form but that his style at 12 could be a thing of the past. Backline play must become more nuanced and versatile from the big, hit it up, crash ball style of 12 when every opposition knows at least 90% of the time what the play is going to be. I just don't think Samu K has that in him.

I think it's horses for courses isn't it?

Hard to say the crash ball style is dead as playing type.

The Wallabies had success with Kerevi at 12 and also playing Giteau at 12. Both very different players. The same way we've had success with a defensive minded ball runner like Tevita Kuridrani at 13, but also plenty of good games with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) playing there.

Kerevi has been so far removed from his best form this year, I think it's hard to judge him. At his best, the opposition 100% knows he was getting the ball, but he still ran over 3 players.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Unfortunately I put us at zero chance of a Bledisloe next year.
To be clear - I don't think we'll be anywhere near favourites. Not even close. But we are never even close anyway. Just feel that playing a team losing their greatest 2R combination of all time, and a generational 9-10-15 is going to give us a good a chance as any. Even if that chance is small.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Might be the unpopular opinion on these forums but I really don't think Kellaway is the fullback option that brings us back to relevance.

Or if he's going to stay there, we need more creativity in the 10/12 space. Can't be going into games with a 10/12/15 who all have a pretty safe skillset and don't really complement each other much.
Agreed. Would like to see Kellaway moved to wing (his best position IMO) and Jorgensen come in at 15 assuming he continues his trajectory with a full Super season under his belt. I also wouldn't be surprised if Pietsch gets a crack. He reminds me a lot (and I mean a lot) of Jack Nowell. And Nowell was a player Eddie absolutely adored when at England, much to the sometimes chagrin of England fans.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Agreed. Would like to see Kellaway moved to wing (his best position IMO) and Jorgensen come in at 15 assuming he continues his trajectory with a full Super season under his belt. I also wouldn't be surprised if Pietsch gets a crack. He reminds me a lot (and I mean a lot) of Jack Nowell. And Nowell was a player Eddie absolutely adored when at England, much to the sometimes chagrin of England fans.
Kellaway will definitely be in the 23 in the next few years even when Jorgensen moves to 15. He can effectively cover Wing, Outside-centre, and Full-back. He should definitely practice goal kicking as that will only reinforce his spot.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Kellaway will definitely be in the 23 in the next few years even when Jorgensen moves to 15. He can effectively cover Wing, Outside-centre, and Full-back. He should definitely practice goal kicking as that will only reinforce his spot.
Yeah certainly. He's a perfect bench back on a 5-3 split.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He needs to work on his kicking out of hand - which I'm sure will come. Unfortunately, his dominance at a younger age meant he never really had to kick.
From what I saw of his kicking this year, I don't think we need to worry too much. Solid enough distance and gets his lines pretty spot on. Will pick up a little distance with more size / strength as he develops. He has such a good footy brain.

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wallabies vs Wales - July 2024 - Squad

1. Bell / Slipper / Vella
2. Porecki / Nasser / Pollard
3. Ala'alatoa / Tupou / Kautai
4. Frost / Williams
5. Skelton / Salakai-Loto
6. Swinton / Hooper
7. McReight / Reimer
8. Valetini / Talataina
9. McDermott / Lonergan