• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
TT, so you have never seen him play? I think he is a solid prop who does all the work necessary and AAA gets worked over regularly. Pone = huge error, Zane is too light, not strong enough and young. At least Talakai can hold tighthead and I have not seen him worked over. I don't care who steps up but behind Tupoa is a hole.
I've watched him play plenty, from back when he was struggling for the Reds. He's decent around the field, but very poor technically at scrum time, goes in on an angle far too much and exposes his ribs far too easily. I've seen him worked over plenty of times, he would have ended up struggling just as badly as Zane and Pone did

AAA isn't perfect, but he's in a different stratosphere from Sam Talakai

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Please stop making obvious assumptions it pisses me off. Everyone knows they didn't play. I was making an observation on the competition they would meet v France, Ireland, NZ, SA and England.
But it doesn't really make any sense. They won't be playing for those other countries? To be test level you just have to be the best player for your country.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've watched him play plenty, from back when he was struggling for the Reds. He's decent around the field, but very poor technically at scrum time, goes in on an angle far too much and exposes his ribs far too easily. I've seen him worked over plenty of times, he would have ended up struggling just as badly as Zane and Pone did

AAA isn't perfect, but he's in a different stratosphere from Sam Talakai
Or any other TH other than Tupou in Australia

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I want to see if Sam Talakai can step up as he looks good enough to me. Also he could backup Tupoa who is injury plagued atm.
Injury is a real downer, isn't it. But at THP we are lucky to have Taniela Tupou back from injury to take Tupoa's place if needed.

When someone expresses an opinion that Sam Talakai is a better prop or prospect than Allan Ala'alatoa, then it's close to time to ignore that poster.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
TT, so you have never seen him play? I think he is a solid prop who does all the work necessary and AAA gets worked over regularly. Pone = huge error, Zane is too light, not strong enough and young. At least Talakai can hold tighthead and I have not seen him worked over. I don't care who steps up but behind Tupoa is a hole.
Agree that Talakai has been under utilised recently as a standard solid THP. Definitely more useful then Nonggoor at least.
Disagree that AAA has 'had his day'.

I see Bell and Tupou starting with Slipper and AAA on the bench for 2024 and 2025.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Injury is a real downer, isn't it. But at THP we are lucky to have Taniela Tupou back from injury to take Tupoa's place if needed.

When someone expresses an opinion that Sam Talakai is a better prop or prospect than Allan Ala'alatoa, then it's close to time to ignore that poster.
I thought you did that months ago!!!!!

BTW I never expressed that opinion re AAA being poorer than him but I am of the opinion that Talaki could step up.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
We only have a short list of players ready for this level.
Bell
BobbyV
Tupoa (if fit)
Skelton
McDermott
Ikitau
Kellaway
Markymark

Possibles in 24 Gordon. Petaia, Liam Wright
You forget Rodda who when fit is probably Australia's most effective lock at test level - see the SA wins back in 2021.

Remember he was out injured for 2020, 2022, 2023 seasons, and a massive chunk of 2021 as well.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
1699254774672.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We only have a short list of players ready for this level.

McDermott

I'd argue there are still big question marks over McDermott's ability at test level. He has some pretty substantial holes in his game and it is still a problematic position for the Wallabies.

He's got the inside track now with White fading but I don't think it's an obvious long term selection. If he is our long term starter then he needs to be consistently a fair bit better than he has been so far for it not to remain a position of concern going forward.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd argue there are still big question marks over McDermott's ability at test level. He has some pretty substantial holes in his game and it is still a problematic position for the Wallabies.

He's got the inside track now with White fading but I don't think it's an obvious long term selection. If he is our long term starter then he needs to be consistently a fair bit better than he has been so far for it not to remain a position of concern going forward.
Agree, although he could also lift his passing game, as others have done, and become the 9 we need. At this time he is the best and plays well enough at the international level. I thought the young Force 9 showed a lot of promise and will be interesting to watch this coming season.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree, although he could also lift his passing game, as others have done, and become the 9 we need. At this time he is the best and plays well enough at the international level. I thought the young Force 9 showed a lot of promise and will be interesting to watch this coming season.
Issak Fines-Leleiwasa? He's 28 - three years older than Tate.

Agreed he was solid though - a shame that he'll no doubt end up benched for White

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

More or less applies to everyone