• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Lads - can we bring some rationality to this debate. This is not the 25 that I would have picked either, but a couple of things are worth bearing in mind:

1. Deans was not going to pick players who are injured and will not be able to play - anyone advocating the selection of Smith, MMM, TPN, McCabe seriously think about this.

2. Deans was not going to pick players who he thinks need game time between now and the series - for example he may think that guys White/Burgess, MMM, Beale, Cooper etc are better on the pitch for their Super franchises than in camp at the moment. I don't know that it is true of any these players in particular, but the principle is certainly true.

3. The match day 23 is not going to come exclusively from this 25. A back up half at least is required. The final six will be important and some players who need game time now will be in that six.

4. Australia's record in recent years has not been abysmal. We have lost a couple of tests that really hurt (particularly Scotland and Samoa), but our record against everyone other than NZ has been pretty good and, frankly, our record against NZ has been better than most. Perhaps not as good as the 86, 91 and 2000 Wallabies, but then they were some of the finest teams ever.

5. I don't think has a bias for a particular province - that is just silly. I think he does pick players who have done the job for him. The Scotland and Samoa losses that we all come back to so often featured (in the starting line ups) players including Hodgson, McCalman, Phipps, Giteau, Davies, Morahan, Anthony Fainga'a, Harris, Palmer. Perhaps they paid the price for not doing the job. Interestingly the starting line-ups in those games contained a total of five NSW players - Kepu and Ashley-Cooper against Samoa and Barnes, Timani and Dennis against Scotland. They, along with the Pococks and Genias, seemed to survive that debacle.

6. Over the past two seasons, we have rarely run out a team which includes half the first choice players. A lot of NSW players got a lot of caps that I don't think they would have got had injuries been kinder - Timani, Kepu, Douglas, Dennis, Turner, Hooper in particular and possible to a lesser extent Barnes. Some of these guys put in important performances in tough situations and it doesn't surprise me that the coach is rewarding them. McCabe is the most obvious example of this for me, despite not getting picked due to injury. Badger also.

7. I don't think that this is the form 25 players, but I do think there were only ever going to be a handful of new caps selected and probably none in the tight 5 - despite the form of Sio, Hansen and Pyle being almost irresistible. The balance was going to be a team that can both put points on the board and match up to a very physical opposition for the 50% of the game where we do not have the ball. Simmons power game in teh loose and the scrum and Timani's hands in the loose and the lineout both scare me, but unfortunately we don't have a more complete option.

8. Edit - one more point - Quade can tackle. He is a very good tackler when he has to tackle, but he prefers to never get caught at the bottom of rucks so tends to hold attackers till the backrow arrives then drops off. These are often recorded as misses but I am sure it is largely intentional. Quade is one of the most gifted attacking players in the world and, with the knowledge I have, i would have him in the team. What I believe Quade lacks is judgment. When he is instinctive he is brilliant but when he has time to think he sometimes makes very poor decisions. In rugby, like Business and the professions, this is career limiting, but it can be improved with work and maturity. He seems to be getting that. What I don't know is how his team mates view him. The wallabies need to be more than the sum of the parts and I am not sure whether the coaching staff believe that his influence on the team is.

This has the makings of a team that can beat the lions, get behind them.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
This concept that there is a feud between RD and QC (Quade Cooper) is absolutely ludicrous. I'll say it again and again and AGAIN - if Deans was a good coach, there would not be a feud between him and the best flyhalf in Australia. The best flyhalf in Australia would not cause rifts in a team because a good coach would know how to handle a young man at the top of his career.

Ask ANY of the reds and I would guarantee they think quade is a great character and person that adds value to their team. Why the hell would that translate to him being hopeless in the wallabies? How can anyone possibly think that he is unable to participate in a successful team environment when he has clearly been able to at the Queensland Reds? The only difference is the coaching staff. THe only difference is the people a support networks that surround him.

You can say all you want about him not performing at test level compared to super rugby, there is a legitimate argument to be had there, but his participation in team environments does not change when he goes from the reds to the wallabies. If anything, he should be worse at the Reds where he is clearly a head above those around him. Is that the case? No.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scotty, this is pure nonsense. For a start, I don't recall RD starting this "feud", and secondly, if QC (Quade Cooper) wanted to be an automatic selection perhaps he should play better?

Finally, while I have no idea if Pulver has any say in Wallaby selection, if he did it would be a disgrace. Nothing to do with RD. I would also suggest that the non-payout thing sailed years ago. Are you suggesting the ARU don't want to pay him out on the final few months of his 5 year contract? That's funny!

I have plenty of beef about RD, but the QC (Quade Cooper) non-selection is not one of them. Happy for QC (Quade Cooper) to stay in the doghouse for a bit longer; he sure hasn't cemented his spot that much just yet.

True that cooper still has to prove a lot at international level, but he has also achieved more as a 10 for the wallabies than JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes or Lilo, and he has just as good or better super form in that position than those 3.

Does it truly not worry people that Deans' first, second an third choices for 10 aren't the first choice picks at super level? Could you imagine that happening in NZ? It is insane.

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
All in all, a good squad. If this was the squad for England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales we would all be happy, and I am happy with it.

Looks like Big Kev will be captain, his emotions can get the better of him so working a ref can be hard, but he is a damn inspiring leader and the team is better for him being captain.

Backline looks really exciting, we all saw how big an impact having a playmaker at 10, 12 and 15 had in the Chiefs this year - let's hope that translates to test level. Having Ioane, Tomane or Cummins on the wing gives enthusiasm and diffuses any Lions aerial threat. Hell, it looks like our entire backline can take the high ball.

The forward pack might struggle at scrum time, we don't really have a dominant scrummaging tighthead, but in all other departments it looks safe to strong. We have two lineout generals in contention and breakdown speed and impact is very good.

All in all a good team announcement.
Well 2 out of three ain't bad I guess...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
This concept that there is a feud between RD and QC (Quade Cooper) is absolutely ludicrous. I'll say it again and again and AGAIN - if Deans was a good coach, there would not be a feud between him and the best flyhalf in Australia. The best flyhalf in Australia would not cause rifts in a team because a good coach would know how to handle a young man at the top of his career.

Ask ANY of the reds and I would guarantee they think quade is a great character and person that adds value to their team. Why the hell would that translate to him being hopeless in the wallabies? How can anyone possibly think that he is unable to participate in a successful team environment when he has clearly been able to at the Queensland Reds? The only difference is the coaching staff. THe only difference is the people a support networks that surround him.

You can say all you want about him not performing at test level compared to super rugby, there is a legitimate argument to be had there, but his participation in team environments does not change when he goes from the reds to the wallabies. If anything, he should be worse at the Reds where he is clearly a head above those around him. Is that the case? No.
Maybe Robbie is just looking after Quades interests.
Remember how that toxic environment was tearing Quade apart?
What's changed?
Apart from the fact that the hissy fit didn't get rid of the coach.

T

Train Without a Station

True that cooper still has to prove a lot at international level, but he has also achieved more as a 10 for the wallabies than JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes or Lilo, and he has just as good or better super form in that position than those 3.

Does it truly not worry people that Deans' first, second an third choices for 10 aren't the first choice picks at super level? Could you imagine that happening in NZ? It is insane.

I agree. It's almost akin to selecting Gareth Anscombe at 10 for the All Blacks if they did not have Carter to choose.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Maybe Robbie is just looking after Quades interests.
Remember how that toxic environment was tearing Quade apart?
What's changed?
Apart from the fact that the hissy fit didn't get rid of the coach.

As stupid as it was for Quade to say, I suspect there was truth in his comments. And if nothing has changed then we are going to have serious issues against this lions team, regardless of who is playing.

I am not questioning the strength of the squad picked, I am questioning the decision making behind choosing a player with one wallaby flyhalf cap who is not in play making form over a 35 test veteran who is in incredible form.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I dont have that Red Koala next to my name, and QC (Quade Cooper) would be my first, seconf and third choice 5/8th - with Lilo at 12 because he's been the form centre the whole season.
For 13 I'd like to see JOC (James O'Connor) because he has vision, speed, defence, and has plenty of variation with his distribution - but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been solid throughtout the S15 and has experience.
Back 3 - I liked the concept of Roff, Walker, Burke they could be flexible with their poisitions in attack, and defence - I see this as being a key component in beating the Lions, what players have the skill set to do this now - Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Folaua??

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
Me too, I think he'll play from the bench. Barnes to start at 15 and goal kick.
Correct, deans was asked about Mogg and izzy last night and answered with Barnes. He will kick goals too and be safe under the high ball. We will not be p,axing a fast game and believe he will go with timani also. It will be tight no risk stuff. Cooper won't play unless we get smashed in the first test. We will get caught behind the ad line with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. He plays deep, when he is actually in position and gets lateral and obvious...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The irony of Deans reasons for not picking Cooper should not be missed - he has defended better this year than at any other time during his career when Deans handed him those 38 test caps.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Correct, deans was asked about Mogg and izzy last night and answered with Barnes. He will kick goals too and be safe under the high ball. We will not be p,axing a fast game and believe he will go with timani also. It will be tight no risk stuff. Cooper won't play unless we get smashed in the first test. We will get caught behind the ad line with JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. He plays deep, when he is actually in position and gets lateral and obvious.

And I, along with many other fans, will be sitting around the TV watching in disappointment as our dreams of an entertaining series against the team that tour once every 12 years is shattered :(

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
Like last night? Not taking control behind a forward pack that was getting more than enough pill.

He was decidedly average.

Whilst he has been improving all season, last night was a step back.

Be a team man that displays all the attributes of the field that you will give it your all and a coach will forgive you inconsistency.

Publicly piss on the jersey and you have no leeway whatsoever. That's life.

Having said that I would still pick him but I am not in Robbie's shoes.
Hard to do much with every pass over your head. Genia was woeful

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
The irony of Deans reasons for not picking Cooper should not be missed - he has defended better this year than at any other time during his career when Deans handed him those 38 test caps.
Exactly right. It's a grudge end of story. A blind man can see cooper is a better 10 than JOC (James O'Connor)

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Exactly right. It's a grudge end of story. A blind man can see cooper is a better 10 than JOC (James O'Connor)
I agree - but the coaches job is not to pick the best out-half, the coaches job is to pick the 23 with the best chance of beating the lions. This may or may not include the most individually gifted player in a particular position. I would probably pick Cooper given that criteria in any event, but the decision is more complex than you describe it

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree - but the coaches job is not to pick the best out-half, the coaches job is to pick the 23 with the best chance of beating the lions. This may or may not include the most individually gifted player in a particular position. I would probably pick Cooper given that criteria in any event, but the decision is more complex than you describe it
It's only as complex as you wish to make it. Regardless of cooper JOC (James O'Connor) is not a better 10 than lilo, To'omua, heck even Barnes if you told him not to kick... A handful of first class games is absolutely absurd as experience for a lions series. It is truly laughable

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
And I, along with many other fans, will be sitting around the TV watching in disappointment as our dreams of an entertaining series against the team that tour once every 12 years is shattered :(
lets win the thing first. then once we have won it, play some ball games
i do not want to spend the next twelve years thinking we got beaten on the scoreboard but we played the more entertaining rugby.

Reactions: BPC

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
congrats to these 25 guys.

the funny/scary thing is that we have zero idea of picking the run-on 15.

biggest headache for robbie is his need for JOC (James O'Connor) and Barnes. I can't see how we can have both run on without doing a disservice to our attacking threat. I really want a power back 3 with cummins, ioane and folau.

o'connor is my super sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.