• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Can't you see that your appeal to authority is more patronising, in a place like this where ordinary rugby enthusiasts share their opinions? Why post at all if the opinions of pundits is what constitutes the truth, and can be used to prove other people wrong? We may as well just nod gormlessly at the TV.

..and yet you're the one trying to kill the discussion. Are you saying the posters cannot reference material outside the forum to make a point?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Great to see Morahan being given an opportunity, he is one player I have disagreed with McKenzie about over the past two years as I felt he should have been given more runs at fb. I think he has a first class attitude that would serve him really well at test level, albeit at wing.

Great to see him going to Force and I hope he gets the most out of his time in the squad.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
My earlier post was not meant to be "pointed." We have all debated over the QC (Quade Cooper) issue and I do respect everyone's right to their own opinion. I am just your average Joe that spends way too much time thinking about rugby. Yes, I think it is the wrong call to omit Cooper but in my efforts to "accept the fact and move on" I was hoping to find some other rationale to support the decision as those on the boards that agree with RD's decision would probably never have wanted QC (Quade Cooper) in their side to begin with.

Obviously I have no idea whether the person's opinion ten posts back in this discussion is a 14 year old kid, the bus driver with a drinking problem or the ex-wallaby coach, but what other choice do we have to respect all of each others opinions on the board. The reality is that some people's opinions are going to be worth a deal more than others as they have a pedigree in the sport - those are the opinions I was seeking in this case.

When I asked if anyone knew of an "expert" that has gone on record as agreeing with RD on this one, it was genuine bloody question. I, for one, had not heard anyone say they agreed and was simply curios - call it therapy for fuck sake - some us need it to "move on" you know ;-)

And to make this post a little pointy - if everyone whose opinion has been sort by the media has publicly stated that they would have QC (Quade Cooper) in the squad, with possibly the exception of Spiro, then the chances are that it was a bad decision. Just because you agree with that wrong decision also does not make it magically become the right decision.

We all have the benefit of being somewhat anonymous but if you would like to state your "qualifications" and put yourself forward as someone whose opinions is worth more than the average Joe, then please do. But we are back to the same old place now - arguing the same old crap. Not what I hoped would happen when I first asked the question.

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
.......Again, please don't be so patronizing as to suggest any of us that are critical of this call, and all the other bamboozling selections, need to "move on and get behind the team." I am behind the team 100% and will be screaming at them from the other side of the planet at 3.00am in the morning come game night. At the end of the day, we have heard a 1000 opinions from every ex-player / coach / journo / tv host that has had the chance to comment on the QC (Quade Cooper) selection issue and I have not heard a single one of them agree with the decision to leave him out of the squad - I was curios to know if anyone else had heard otherwise. John Eales even thought it was a poor call for christ sake and he is on the ARU board. So if anyone can name a single bloody "expert" who has stood up and said they AGREE with the decision to omit QC (Quade Cooper), I would love to know.

So you agree with everything the great man thinks?
You know he re appointed Dingo?
So you must agree with Dingo as coach?
As this pre dates the naming of the 31 man squad,it follows that you would support the coach and his selections,yeah?

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
As this pre dates the naming of the 31 man squad,it follows that you would support the coach and his selections,yeah?

Jesus, that is a load of crap. Keep it real for crying out loud. I don't agree with everything my wife says but I am still married to her.

I don't understand why you guys are still talking about QC (Quade Cooper) and his merits
Or reasons for inclusion. He isn't in the team and he isn't going to be

Deal with it and move on.

We are still talking about because this is a bloody rugby forum. There are no rules that I am aware of that limit the amount of time we can spend discussing or arguing any one particular subject. If you don't want to get involved just skip your eyes down the page. This has sparked up again because a few failed to take my question to the forum here as genuine. I asked a simple question, which in my opinion no one has been able to answer - with the exception of Phil's thought that maybe Spiro Zavros was in agreement with RD. If you have something to say in response to my question other than "move one," then please do.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
There was a poll on the Foxsports telecast of the Reds vs Lions match that asked should Quade Cooper be in the Wallabies squad. 80% said no, I found that surprising from a couple weeks ago.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
There was a poll on the Foxsports telecast of the Reds vs Lions match that asked should Quade Cooper be in the Wallabies squad. 80% said no, I found that surprising from a couple weeks ago.

The Rugby HQ program ran a survey on the Fox website for the 'lion tamers' and there was a resounding 60% vote for Cooper to be the 10 during the tour. The next was James O'Connor on 17%. How many votes were made on the telecast one?

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
Jesus, that is a load of crap. Keep it real for crying out loud. I don't agree with everything my wife says but I am still married to her.
Then don't quote him like he is the oracle.That's the point.
It is stupid to say that his opinion should carry more weight than joe average,one one topic,.
When at the same time you don't agree with his opinion on another topic.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I was hoping to find some other rationale to support the decision as those on the boards that agree with RD's decision would probably never have wanted QC (Quade Cooper) in their side to begin with.

Well mate, there's where I think you're wrong. There are plenty of people who don't support QC (Quade Cooper)'s case who have changed their minds over time based on their perception of the facts, not on whether they 'hate' him as a person or a player.

I was a QC (Quade Cooper) fan for a long time. The laptop incident didn't faze me at all: I believe that organisations should support young kids when they screw up. The 'toxic' comments gave me pause. For a while I thought we shouldn't pick him because he'd disrespected the jersey. But I got over that.

When Quade started to find form this year, especially with the return of Genia, I was all for having him in the team. On song, Quade's our best flyhalf by far.

But right now, I just don't think he's playing well enough. He has far too many costly weaknesses and he makes too many mistakes. And right now, as a flyhalf in a talented backline, he's just not making enough tries.

That's my opinion. I may be wrong. But I certainly don't hate him. Quite the opposite: I like him a lot, and want him to succeed and rejoin the national team.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
The Rugby HQ program ran a survey on the Fox website for the 'lion tamers' and there was a resounding 60% vote for Cooper to be the 10 during the tour. The next was James O'Connor on 17%. How many votes were made on the telecast one?

Yes that is why I found it surprising, there seems to have been a big shift from the public view on him in the last couple weeks. Could these have been performance driven?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The good news about Tomane is he's only ruled out of the first test so far......

Should hopefully be available for at least one of the two remaining tests.........

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To suggest that because Eales was on the board that voted to reappoint Deans somehow means that belief in Eales judgment entails acceptance of Deans decisions is right up there with the more preposterous propositions I've seen on this site, including the ranting that Glenn Jackson was a cheat.
Some people, me included, like to hear and read what others have to say, including from posters in this thread.
My view is that by reading what others write you can always learn a little something. The same is true of knowing what undoubtedly sound judges make of selections.
I think it is very important to muse over the machinations that see QC (Quade Cooper) not in the team ,even though I agree with that position, because it involves critical thought about strategy and structure and seeing what others think on those type of issue shapes my own thinking. Not by blind following but by considering another point of view and the reasons for it.
An exception is the post under reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
ARU are being selfish in selecting Beale. Very Näive to think that Beale is suddenly ok and will cope on or off the field.

or it might be best for him to be at work, in a structure he is used to, doing what he loves

but in the end we don't know, but I am sure the ARU is taking the advise of experts who have actually sat down with him and worked with him

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You'll all be happy to note that I've taken the liberty of checking the Wallabies squad on your collective behalf.

Quade still isn't on the sheet, and I understand the chagrin this may cause is some quarters.

Now could we stop fucking carrying on about it like a pack of shunts as someone (more politely) above requested?

Morahan is one of those back three players who has lived in Digby's shadow (and that of Rocket Rod) to a degree. Fantastic player and probably has a broader skill base than the other back three candidates in QLD. Well done that man

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes that is why I found it surprising, there seems to have been a big shift from the public view on him in the last couple weeks. Could these have been performance driven?
need to know the sample size to ascertain statistical confidence and reliability. for example, the first five votes counted in september might be for the labour party, but would that infer a 100% electoral landslide?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
or it might be best for him to be at work, in a structure he is used to, doing what he loves

but in the end we don't know, but I am sure the ARU is taking the advise of experts who have actually sat down with him and worked with him

They may have, but we will never know. It is just a little hard to understand how he could be unfit to travel to Brisbane to play for his team one week and the next week he is in the national squad getting ready to participate in the biggest home test series in 12 years.

And that is ignoring the discipline issues.

I would suggest that had he been a fringe wallaby he would not be part if the squad right now.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Morahan is one of those back three players who has lived in Digby's shadow (and that of Rocket Rod) to a degree. Fantastic player and probably has a broader skill base than the other back three candidates in QLD. Well done that man

I have always thought that Morahan had the abilities to be a great wallaby. I have started to doubt that, but here's hoping the move to the force takes him to the next level.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They may have, but we will never know. It is just a little hard to understand how he could be unfit to travel to Brisbane to play for his team one week and the next week he is in the national squad getting ready to participate in the biggest home test series in 12 years.

And that is ignoring the discipline issues.

I would suggest that had he been a fringe wallaby he would not be part if the squad right now.

Agreed

That is the reality of the world, the special ones get dispensation while they are deemed worth the gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.